View Full Version : Need help on selecting Wi-Fi Card!

hindencm
09-17-2003, 09:44 PM
I need some help on selecting a wi-fi cf card for my hp 2215. Anyone know of any cheap solutions (found on the internet) that run on ppc 2003? Thanks

townsendtribe
09-17-2003, 11:21 PM
I am running the D-Link DCF-660W WiFi card under WM2003 using the beta driver, and it have had success.

Haven't had any problems with it finding networks either, sometimes's I'm just walking somewhere and 'Poof'! I'm on a network. Cool.

hindencm
09-18-2003, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the info. I was also considering the D-Link and was also considering the sandisk solution. Any other opinions on this matter anyone?

lonesniper
09-18-2003, 02:13 AM
I have a HP2215 with the Socket Low Power Wi-Fi card. It is expensive at $140 or a bit cheaper if you can get a rebate offer. It was the first card to have official Windows Mobile 2003 drivers and I have been very happy with it.
One hours use of the card takes about 25% of the units battery, and it does not stick out of the unit a great deal either.

I would recommend the Socket CF if you can afford it. The savings in battery power is nice.

DimensionZero
09-18-2003, 08:01 AM
Hmm. I haven't looked yet, but are there comparisons of the different wifi cards out there? ie. battery usage, signal strength, etc...

I'll post if I find anything, just a thought that came to me while reading this. =)

rzanology
09-18-2003, 01:07 PM
you should give that sandisk a try. The thing is so good i started using it for my laptop as well. I gets stronger signal than the netgear i owned and my friends linksys...it also comes with the pcmcia cf adapter for around $70...give it a try!

hindencm
09-18-2003, 10:41 PM
The Sandisk seems like a good deal to me. I found it for $47 on the web which makes it a REALLY good deal. I just need to find out if it runs on windows mobile 2003.......

stevenmh
09-24-2003, 03:29 AM
I've been using the Linksys w/ beta driver for a couple weeks....chews through a fully charged battery in 45 minutes. I ordered the Socket Low Power card from Amazon last night for $100 after rebate. A lot of people use the D-Link and Ambicom, so you probably won't go wrong with either of those, but if your budget can handle it I'd say get the Socket.