View Full Version : Mobipocket vs. Reader

tregnier
09-17-2003, 08:32 PM
Hi,

After some problems trying to get MS Reader to read one of my .lit files, I've decided to try Mobipocket. I've just downloaded it and it seems to work on the samples provided by them. I do have some questions.

-- Does anyone have a source for a comparative review of Reader vs. Mobipocket or would venture to provide some comparisons?

-- Are there as many books available in Mobipocket format (I haven't discovered its special file yet)?

-- Are books about the same price as .lit files?

-- Is there activation crap like Reader has?

Thanks!

dh
09-17-2003, 09:04 PM
I would suggest you download the trial of Mobipocket and check it out.
The main advantage to me was the speed with which MP opens books.
MP does have a DMS scheme, but I've never bought any of their books (other than the Oxford Dictionary) so I don't know much about it.
I actually buy .lit books then convert them. This way I avoid DMS issues completly.

bibap
09-18-2003, 04:43 AM
I have used Mobipocket for a long time and it is my favorite reader. No "activation" problems and no entering credit card numbers. They have the most transparent DRM of any company I've tried. Give them a try. Also, when I have had problems with changing machines they acutally answer your emails within a day or two. I must have over 100 ebooks (70% from Blackmask) but when I am going to buy one the first place I look is to Mobipocket (or Fictionwise because it supports this format).

Mobipocket
09-18-2003, 10:55 AM
Hi,

After some problems trying to get MS Reader to read one of my .lit files, I've decided to try Mobipocket. I've just downloaded it and it seems to work on the samples provided by them. I do have some questions.

-- Does anyone have a source for a comparative review of Reader vs. Mobipocket or would venture to provide some comparisons?

There's a good comparison here (http://www.jenneth.info/archives/000229.html) although Jenneth did not try the latest Mobipocket Reader with wireless features.

-- Are there as many books available in Mobipocket format (I haven't discovered its special file yet)?

There are more than 10,000 titles in Mobipocket format. Some publishers release titles in several eBook formats, some others only do Mobipocket's.

-- Are books about the same price as .lit files?

The publisher gives each eBook price. Therefore, you can find the same title at the same price everywhere, or not.

-- Is there activation crap like Reader has?
Thanks!
No, Mobipocket's DRM is based on your PDA unique identifier (PID). One eBook can be encrypted for several devices at the same time (when you set 2 or more PIDs in your account).
If you change your PDA, you can update the PID in your account and re-download your eBooks (on any PC you can use to transfer files to the PDA, or directly by browsing Mobipocket's mobile website on the PDA).

michie
09-18-2003, 04:25 PM
I have used Mobipocket for a long time and it is my favorite reader. No "activation" problems and no entering credit card numbers. They have the most transparent DRM of any company I've tried.

Actually, I'd say Palm Reader has the most transparent DRM. Mobipocket's is similar to Microsoft's but without the activation issues. (At one time, I would've said it was more restrictive than MS's because you need to make a new download for every new device -- which would be unlucky for customers of sites like B&N that drop support for ebooks -- but fortunately Mobipocket clarified that the main site would act as the backup site.)

I had to hard-reset my Axim last month -- I had one secure Mobipocket ebook (from the Fictionwise library) and a bunch of secure PDM ebooks on my SD card. I had my laptop with me and reinstalled both readers...and then found that my PID had changed and I couldn't access the Mobipocket book. The solution is to re-download it, but I had no internet access at that time. On the other hand, my PDM ebooks opened just fine. (BTW, the only time you need to enter your card number is the first time after installation. As long as you don't close your previous book, any new book will use the same info you entered the first time. It's the least invasive DRM.)

Now, I understand that not all devices generate a new PID when they're reset, so others wouldn't have had the same experience. However, I currently have 20MB of PDM ebooks (and growing) purchased from 3 different sites and I wouldn't want to re-download them each time I add or change a device.

davidspalding
09-19-2003, 07:06 PM
Been using Mobipocket more than a year, and love it -- i get, or convert, all my books in the MP format. DRM is easy, though I wish they'd grant more than 2 PIDs ... i have a laptop, pda, and desktop and would like my references on each. :P

To see how many you can buy in MP format, chck out www.fictionwise.com.