View Full Version : Drivers Test in 4 Days!

JustinGTP
09-17-2003, 05:17 AM
Hello everyone!

Just to let you know I am taking my Drivers Test on Sunday! I hope that I past first time (touch wood to not jinx it!) and I am excited/nervous!

:D

-Justin.

Jacob
09-17-2003, 05:45 AM
Note to self: Stay off the roads on Sunday :lol:

Just kidding... good luck! :D

Kati Compton
09-17-2003, 06:41 AM
Note to self: Stay off the roads on Sunday :lol:

Funny, that was my first thought too! :lol: :D

maximus
09-17-2003, 09:22 AM
When at home, if you see a Honda Civic Si approaching your house, run for cover. he he heh.

David Prahl
09-17-2003, 02:17 PM
Just don't bring a Tomtom navigator! They might not like that. :lol:

It took mine about a year and a half ago. No problems!

spursdude
09-17-2003, 02:36 PM
The key is to look like you know what you're doing. Look confident, always scanning, be smooth, etc... that'll get you a lot more leeway when you make other minor (or even major) mistakes.

David Prahl
09-17-2003, 03:10 PM
And don't feel like the instructor is holding you hostage or that you're driving a getaway car. Take your time and just drive.

bradolson
09-17-2003, 03:11 PM
I think part of it is the person scoring you. When I got my license, I failed the first time by like 2 points. The second time I drove basically exactly the same and passed by a large margin. I think the first guy was just having a bad day or something.

All is good though. It's been 7 years and no accidents/tickets/problems.

Jon Westfall
09-17-2003, 05:45 PM
Hey, just thought I'd give you some helpful hints

1. Make sure to bring a few cold ones for the examiner, and pop one open for him/her as soon as you get in the car.

2. The examiners like confidence in an exaimnee. Go above defensive driving to offensive driving (after all, every good defense has to defend against an offense right?). A general disregard for the other cars around you, along with healthy use of strong language, shows your strength.

3. The ability to stop on a dime is crucial to driving. Make at least 10 - 20 sudden stops to prove your quick reflexes.

4. If highway driving is on the test, make sure to drive 10 - 20 mph over the speed limit like the rest of the traffic. When going around blind corners or over hills, slow down and explain to the examiner that you must "be on the lookout for old smokey with his radar gun".

5. Lastly, bring a car atleast 20 years old to remind the examiner of their driving test (Extra points if you actually bring the vehicle they took their test in). There is nothing more likely to drum up sympathy and empathy from the examiner than pulling up in a 1975 Cutlass Supreme. As a plus, you'll have to stop for gas 5 - 6 times during the test - ample time to talk to the examiner about the "good old 60's and 70's" - make sure to ask them if they were into the drugs & swinging.

Following that Advice, I just can't see you even being able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on sunday!

Good Luck

Janak Parekh
09-18-2003, 12:56 AM
Jon, you're evil. :twisted:

Kati, if you just happen to see Justin in your corner of the world as part of his driving test, that already is a bad, bad sign. :lol:

--janak

maximus
09-18-2003, 01:38 AM
1. Make sure to bring a few cold ones for the examiner, and pop one open for him/her as soon as you get in the car.

:rotfl: When Honda did that, I would really love to see the examiner's face.

JustinGTP
09-19-2003, 01:27 AM
Well Im glad you all think its funny!

GoldKey
09-19-2003, 02:01 AM
Well Im glad you all think its funny!

That is one of the luxury's of getting older, you get to look back and laugh about the same things we went through when we were younger. Trust me in 15 years, you will laugh about it too!

JustinGTP
09-19-2003, 03:11 AM
He he, all you old farts and foguees!

LOL

:spin:

-Justin.

Jon Westfall
09-19-2003, 05:31 AM

Now, just because I...

... Drive a cadillac
... Teach part-time at a university
... Am an MCSE and 8 credits away from a BA in psychology
... Had (until he retired) a doctor that focused on gerontology & cardiology
... Formerly drove a 1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (great car...)
... Come to think of it - all my previous vehicles before current were older than me.
... Didn't own a CD player until 1998

at age 20

doesn't mean i'm an old fart or foguee... i just fit the sterotype with the fluke of chronological age!

And on the note of Driver's tests - you'll do fine as long as you know what you're doing on the road. Does your state require you to do parallel parking or a manuverability test? If it does, don't go my route and end up in your mother's 1985 mercury grand marque (As the examiner told me "This is the largest car I've ever seen go through manuverability and pass").

And if you don't know what you're doing, then you don't belong on the road!

Again, Good Luck.

maximus
09-19-2003, 07:47 AM

LOL

:spin:

-Justin.

Hey, don't change the avatar ! We want to see that dog more often !

David Prahl
09-19-2003, 02:59 PM
Don't worry! Read this!

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_820744.html?menu=news.quirkies

Mark Kenepp
09-19-2003, 07:49 PM
Your Driver's Test is tomorrow :eek:

My advice:

Use your turn signal. That is what got me on my first test. Use it before you turn, before you change lanes and before you pull up to a curb. If you are taking the test on a closed course, there may be places where it is deceiving as to whether or not a turn signal is required. When in doubt, use it.

Stop before the cross walk (or white line designated for stopping).

I would guess the rest is straight forward, i.e. don't ram into anything :wink:

Best of luck

famousdavis
09-19-2003, 09:09 PM
foguee?

Does it make me an old foguee if I question the spelling of fogey?

maximus
09-21-2003, 07:59 AM
So, did you pass the test, young Honda?

ctmagnus
09-21-2003, 02:37 PM
Honda Maximus... One of next year's models, perhaps?

btw... (along the lines of a recent post in another thread) Maximus... change your username... There's no entry for it in the built-in word suggester. :mrgreen:

JustinGTP
09-22-2003, 04:32 AM
Yep, I passed with flying colours. Look out for me all you Calgarians!!

I past with "flying colours" and the examiner was impressed with my driving. I had really good lessons from Young Drivers of Canada. That did the trick!

-Justin.

Kati Compton
09-22-2003, 06:30 AM
I past with "flying colours"
Good luck on your next English test... :lol: ;)

ctmagnus
09-22-2003, 09:02 PM

At least he spelt colours correctly. :wink:

dh
09-22-2003, 10:12 PM

Oh no, here we go again. I know Kati was refering to "past" instead of "passed", but......
Although I've lived in the US 15 years I much prefer to use the proper spellings still. Colour is much better than color and a check is when you look something over whereas a cheque can be used to pay yet another bill. :D

Oh, congratulations on passing the test SI. :clap:

easylife
09-22-2003, 10:16 PM

Oh no, here we go again. I know Kati was refering to "past" instead of "passed", but......
Although I've lived in the US 15 years I much prefer to use the proper spellings still. Colour is much better than color and a check is when you look something over whereas a cheque can be used to pay yet another bill. :D
Do you spell ketchup 'catsup'? :lol:

Ok, ok, :nonono:

dh
09-22-2003, 10:21 PM
I spell it Tomato Sauce, never to be confused with HP Sauce!

easylife
09-22-2003, 10:25 PM
OK I don't get it. :? I read this three times and it sounds like you're trying to make a joke - but I fail to understand it.

ctmagnus
09-22-2003, 10:44 PM

There's a diiference though. Ketchup is what I used to eat on spaghetti, tomato sauce is what I eat on it now.

JustinGTP
09-23-2003, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I know, I was tired and it was late. I did really mean "passed".

Besides, Im celebrating for passing first try. 0X

Kati Compton
09-23-2003, 12:48 AM

Besides, Im celebrating for passing first try. 0X

Well, congrats. :)

JustinGTP
09-23-2003, 12:59 AM
Well, thankyou!

maximus
09-23-2003, 01:26 AM
btw... (along the lines of a recent post in another thread) Maximus... change your username... There's no entry for it in the built-in word suggester. :mrgreen:

No way jose :p That username is there to remind me to live to the max, especially when I am down (I got a lot of those lately). On second thought, it will be nice if we have a button to change username. Perhaps I will change my username to btmagnus, or gtmagnus :mrgreen:

Congrats young Honda, now stay off the booze when you are on the road...

JustinGTP
09-23-2003, 01:43 AM
I haven drank anything alcoholic or done anything that will toxicate me, i.e Hash, Meth, Weed, all that worthless kill your braincell sh!t.

-Justin.

ctmagnus
09-23-2003, 05:00 AM
I haven drank anything alcoholic or done anything that will toxicate me, i.e Hash, Meth, Weed, all that worthless kill your braincell sh!t.

-Justin.

Yeah, stick with Slurpees. :D

maximus
09-23-2003, 05:17 AM

-Justin.

Doesn't that make you uncool ?

delfuhd
09-23-2003, 10:01 AM

-Justin.

Doesn't that make you uncool ?

To the losers who do it, yes, but anyone who smokes in my school isn't liked by anyone who might like them because of their smoking.. Too bad people are just dumbasses, excuse my french, it just annoys me..

JustinGTP
09-24-2003, 12:00 AM
Uncool to who?

To my friends im cool. I dont care about others opinions of me. Ill be their boss one day!

-Justin.

jake080
09-24-2003, 12:44 AM
i take my test in 15 days!

JustinGTP
09-24-2003, 12:45 AM
Good luck to you! And how old would you be?

-Justin.

jake080
09-24-2003, 12:53 AM
16 :roll:
:lol:

easylife
09-24-2003, 12:58 AM
Good luck to you! And how old would you be?
How old would YOU be, young Honda? :)

JustinGTP
09-24-2003, 01:03 AM
1 thing, why does everyone call me Young Honda?

My name is Justin and im 16. Maybe young to you guys, but in no way am I a make of an automobile!

As it happens, I drive a new GMC Safari SLT AWD (Good for the snow) hee.
Its this van (looks the same and everything)

-Justin.http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/gmc/safari/img/gmc_safa_pop_model_6_lrg.jpg

And it is enought to bulldoze any little Civic, let me tell you! My mum had that unfortunate event with our van previous to this one (same make and model, looked like that also)

dh
09-24-2003, 01:32 AM
Honda, you're just a kid so you better be polite to your elders.

(Just kidding)

easylife
09-24-2003, 01:38 AM
Oh, I was just teasing Young Honda, I mean Justin! :D I'm 16 too... in fact, I turned 16 just a few days ago so odds are you're older than me :wink:

Brad Adrian
09-24-2003, 01:45 AM
Wow. Only 16 years old and already you're driving a family-type minivan. You have my sympathy [said the man who has driven one for 12 years].

jake080
09-24-2003, 01:55 AM
ouch 8O
im driving a 95 eagle vision now, im looking into buying an SRT-4 from my dad though!
:wink:

easylife
09-24-2003, 02:12 AM
Just remember that not everone drives so a minivan isn't too shabby! :D

Mitch D
09-24-2003, 04:11 AM
Congrats Honda... Next time I almost run over a Civic with my Ramchager I will be sure to stop and ask if it's you before proceeding! LOL

:werenotworthy:

JustinGTP
09-24-2003, 06:25 AM
I dont like civics anymore, ive gone of them, they are too common.

I know! The minivan scene isnt my thing, but its free for me to use :D

I was driving my mums Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 240 Horses. Hmm... the umph in that thing is enough to blow the doors of any unsuspecting car... We had a race with an BMW 540i and we were neck and neck. Fun fun. Oh well, Ill get my own car later on. But for now, it gets me places. Its good for Traffic Light Races too, AWD and 200 HP 4.7L Vortec v6 can haul a lotta ass, especially in the winter... Hehee :D

-Justin.

Im off to bed now. Midnight soon. Im tired, math exam tomorrow!

(Ya can probably tell with my poor writing style and grammatical errors)

Jerry Raia
09-24-2003, 06:47 AM
16???? Just bury me now.

Steven Cedrone
09-24-2003, 12:27 PM

If you don't like Civics any more, why don't you change your sig and avatar???

Just curious... :wink:

Steve

maximus
09-25-2003, 02:31 AM

If you don't like Civics any more, why don't you change your sig and avatar???

Just curious... :wink:

Steve

Yeah, young Honda, bring back the skinny dog avatar :D

Congrats Honda... Next time I almost run over a Civic with my Ramchager I will be sure to stop and ask if it's you before proceeding! LOL

Excuse me young man, are you the Young Honda dude ? No ? Thanks ... BAM! :rotfl:

JustinGTP
09-25-2003, 04:59 AM
Ha ha,

I like the name Honda Civic.

Oh well,

Ill keep. And I meant I dont really want to drive one of them because they are too common, but I like them as a car :roll:

-Justin. :wink:

maximus
09-26-2003, 01:44 AM
Just curious, why a Civic ? Why not something more extravagant ... Lexus, Acura, Ferrari, Porsche, etc. ?

Mark Kenepp
09-26-2003, 01:50 AM
I don't mean to go off topic (well actually I do :twisted: ) but does anyone know where the name "Civic" came from?

easylife
09-26-2003, 01:58 AM
I don't mean to go off topic (well actually I do :twisted: ) but does anyone know where the name "Civic" came from?
Hmm... it's a palendrome...

civic

adj 1: of or relating or belonging to a city; "civic center"; "civic problems" 2: of or relating to or befitting citizens as individuals; "civil rights"; "civil liberty"; "civic duties"; "civic pride"
CIVIC Cyclone Integrated Video Interface Controller (Apple)
Civic crown (Rom. Antiq.), a crown or garland of oak leaves and acorns, bestowed on a soldier who had saved the life of a citizen in battle.

Am I close? :D

Mark Kenepp
09-26-2003, 06:45 AM
Am I close? :D

Actually, the question was just as much of an inquirey as it was a quiz :wink:

My Parents bought a Honda Civic back when they first came out in the mid to late 70's. On the back where the model name was tacked on in raised cromed letters it did not say CIVIC.

it said... CVCC

meaning 105 Cubic Centimeters.

It was later models that actually spelled out CIVIC

maximus
09-26-2003, 07:17 AM
Ok ... how about the ACCORD then ? :mrgreen:

JustinGTP
09-26-2003, 11:29 PM
And since when was Honda's counterpart, Acura, extravagant?

Justin.

They look the same, have leather, and are sold for more. They dont even look extravagant.

maximus
09-29-2003, 02:18 AM
And since when was Honda's counterpart, Acura, extravagant?

Justin.

They look the same, have leather, and are sold for more.

Well the NSZ is extravagant enough for me, I dont know about you.

Why dont you try parking an Acura next to a Civic, poop the engine hood, and you should feel the difference. Even the low-end Acura CL should give the hint that it is an above average car. :wink:

They dont even look extravagant.

Well, young Honda, taste is subjective ...
Some people prefer Subaru WRX, I prefer Lancer EVO 8.
I like green, you like yellow.

PetiteFlower
09-29-2003, 03:43 AM
I want a VW Passat. I can't afford one, but what a beautiful car.....

Kati Compton
09-29-2003, 05:23 AM
They are quite nice. I splurged and got a base model. Even the base is better than a heck of a lot of other cars fully loaded. Best value/$ at that price point (in my opinion of course, YMMV).

spursdude
09-29-2003, 05:30 AM
YMMV
Of course, no pun intended during this car discussion.... :lol:

dh
09-29-2003, 12:25 PM
Best value/$ at that price point
The Passat GL is indeed a super value. The 1.8T is also one of the best 4 cylinder engines ever.

easylife
09-29-2003, 08:24 PM
My parents have a 2002.5 Fresco Green VW Passat. 8) Nice little car! :D

Kati Compton
09-29-2003, 08:55 PM
YMMV
Me? Pun? (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17750) Naaaah.... Never. :razzing:

Jeff Rutledge
09-29-2003, 09:47 PM
YMMV
Me? Pun? (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17750) Naaaah.... Never. :razzing:

Oh no...

It looks like I should have stayed away for a few more days. :eek:

JustinGTP
09-29-2003, 10:03 PM
This isnt going to be another pun thread guys! :nonono:

easylife
09-29-2003, 10:11 PM
:nonono:
Considering that you've taken (and passed) your drivers test I'd say this thread doesn't really have a topic anymore. 8)

JustinGTP
09-29-2003, 10:14 PM
Shuddap!

dh
09-29-2003, 10:16 PM
Shuddap!
Now Now Young Honda.

JackTheTripper
09-29-2003, 11:05 PM
OMG! 8O I read the first page of this thread what seems like months ago and it's STILL going on? And now it's a sooped up coffee can for a muffler fake blower lowered cromed body kited can't make it over a speed bump ugly ass spoiler on the back of a front wheel drive sticker kited 5,000,000 watt speaker system all on a 50 horse power car discussion!?!?!?!?

Get over it people. It's a car. Gets you from A to B.

[/rant]

easylife
09-29-2003, 11:09 PM
Young Honda posted this 12 days ago... and I really don't see that much debate about cars. :? This is more like A Thread About Nothing. :D

JackTheTripper
09-29-2003, 11:55 PM
Oh well, I only read tha last few posts and was in the mood to rant. Must be that time of the month.

*Checks PPC*

Yup! It is. :lol:

PetiteFlower
09-30-2003, 10:43 PM
I want the V6 all wheel drive version....I've driven a rear-wheel drive car for 3 years now and I HATE how it skids when it's even slightly wet on the road, I want to drive soomething that feels safe and secure!

JustinGTP
10-01-2003, 12:56 AM
I have the V6 AWD van... Yes, that thing can haul some *ss.

I love that van, its pretty quick to eh!

:D

And I like your description about ricers, except A. We didnt talk about or debate cars and B. you forgot to mention the decals and TYPE GS-R2 GTS TYPE R S TYPE badges and stickers that add 50 horses to the car!!

-Justin.

JustinGTP
10-01-2003, 12:57 AM
Oh, and I thought that weve had the discussion about the whole

"Young Honda" expression.

Dont use it, simples as that!

:D Thankyou,

-Justin.

maximus
10-01-2003, 02:15 AM
Best value/$ at that price point
The Passat GL is indeed a super value. The 1.8T is also one of the best 4 cylinder engines ever.

There is an autoshow last weekend. To my surprise, the Phaeton W12 looks so bland. That car needs more curves !

I wonder what is the market for a car like that. I dont know, but launching a brand to go head to head with established models like Mercedes S class, BMW 6 series, Jaguar S type ...

JustinGTP
10-01-2003, 02:24 AM
hayward?

That isnt my last name!!

But justin will work fine thx!

-Justin.

PetiteFlower
10-01-2003, 01:47 PM
I don't know what a Phaeton is, is that the foreign version of the Passat?

dh
10-01-2003, 01:55 PM
I don't know what a Phaeton is, is that the foreign version of the Passat?
It's a new upmarket model that VW has introduced to compete with the BMW 7 Series and Mercedes S Class.

It's been on sale in Europe for a while and will be here as well at some point. Kind of an odd marketing thing as the Audi A8 has always been the top model in the line up (not counting Lamborgini, Bentley and Bugatti which are not really mainstream products).

The coolest thing about the Phaeton is the W12 engine that Maximus mentioned. And yes, the styling is a bit generic for my taste as well. In the UK they sell for over $100,000 (I think the W12 will be about $86,000 here), lot of money for a VeeDub.

Check it out here: http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/phaeton

PetiteFlower
10-01-2003, 07:08 PM
Agreed, that does sound a bit pricey. I like VW because they are fun, young cars, I can drive one without feeling too middle aged even though it's technically a mid-sized family car :) Though again, at $30k, I'll probably be middle aged before I can afford one! It's in the same category as a BMW though, it is pretty high on the luxury scale, yet it's half the price, and doesn't have the air of wealthiness that BMWs seem to have :)

JustinGTP
10-01-2003, 11:25 PM
I liked the BMW 7 series, we recently had one of those. Very nice cars, very big.

Anyways, I like my oh so popular thread :D

-Justin.

maximus
10-02-2003, 02:03 AM
I liked the BMW 7 series, we recently had one of those. Very nice cars, very big.

You like BIG cars, dont you ? :D

Anyways, I like my oh so popular thread :D
-Justin.

Reminder: All threads and information transported in this forum belong to PPCT, not to individual posters. There is no such thing as "my thread". Anything you say in response to this post will be used against you in a court of law :p

Jeff Rutledge
10-02-2003, 02:18 AM
Reminder: All threads and information transported in this forum belong to PPCT, not to individual posters. There is no such thing as "my thread". Anything you say in response to this post will be used against you in a court of law :p

:rotfl:

Thanks Maximus! I needed that today.

JustinGTP
10-02-2003, 03:10 AM

ctmagnus
10-02-2003, 07:00 AM

easylife
10-02-2003, 10:28 AM
I thought the general rule of thumb was that if you started the thread you could claim ownership of it. In this case, Young Honda, err Justin started this thread so it's his thread. :)

maximus
10-03-2003, 02:01 AM
weeeeell, this is no 'general' board, it is THE PPCT ! general rules don't apply here :p :p

While we are at it, a silly question from a non native speaker:
When you guys said "No pun intended" ... what does that mean ?

JustinGTP
10-03-2003, 03:30 AM
A pun is: the usually humorous use of a word in such a way as to suggest two or more of its meanings or the meaning of another word similar in sound

And so they dont want to imply the pun that you can see between the two related items!

-Justin,

ctmagnus
10-03-2003, 04:10 AM
the usually humorous use of a word in such a way as to suggest two or more of its meanings or the meaning of another word similar in sound

8O Didja get that from a dictionary? Cuz, right now, that definition blows my mind.

PetiteFlower
10-03-2003, 04:10 AM
A pun is usually thought of as the lowest form of humor, the kinds of jokes that get a groan rather then a laugh....

ctmagnus
10-03-2003, 04:19 AM
A pun is usually thought of as the lowest form of humor, the kinds of jokes that get a groan rather then a laugh....

'k, now I remember what a pun is, more specifically. Justin's definition was way ambiguous.

Kati Compton
10-03-2003, 04:20 AM
If you want a refresher on puns, read Piers Anthony's Xanth series of books...

JustinGTP
10-03-2003, 05:04 AM
You don't understand that?

And of course, I mean no offence to you in any possible way :wink:
Just goes to show public education is on its downfall :(

-Justin.

maximus
10-03-2003, 05:14 AM
So, basically it is a bad joke ? or a not-so-funny joke ?

JustinGTP
10-03-2003, 05:27 AM
Its not necessarily a joke, its more of a play on words and may be funny. Here are a few examples for you, see if you can get these :D

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.

It's better to love a short girl than not a tall.

Those who jump off a Paris bridge are in Seine.

If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.

If you drive a train, you can't afford to lose track.

Small dogs with rich mistresses are often sitting in the lap of luxury.

He's a good letter carrier. He always keeps you posted.

As a tightrope walker she was top-of-the-line.

-Justin :D Those were soooo funny :D :lol: :rofl:

ctmagnus
10-03-2003, 05:51 AM
Its not necessarily a joke, its more of a play on words and may be funny. Here are a few examples for you, see if you can get these :D

-Justin :D Those were soooo funny :D :lol: :rofl:

Now I understand your definition. :idea:

The "two or more of its meanings or the meaning of another word similar in sound" part kinda had me balled up.

PetiteFlower
10-03-2003, 01:37 PM
Maximus--because puns are plays on words, they're usually the HARDEST kind of jokes for non-native speakers to "get", so if you still don't understand the things that Honda just posted, don't feel dumb or anything :)

maximus
10-06-2003, 02:26 AM
From Honda's puns, I still didn't get these two :

Anyway, thanks for the kind words :D But at least now I know what puns are. :way to go:

JustinGTP
10-06-2003, 03:14 AM
From Honda's puns, I still didn't get these two :

Anyway, thanks for the kind words :D But at least now I know what puns are. :way to go:

Here:

When a clock is hungry, it goes back (for seconds) - (Seconds of dinner, also, goes back in time four seconds. The difference is the for and fours

Those who jump off a Paris bridge are (insane) - - or in the place called Seine, a bridge near the Eiffel Tower( a place )

Hope that helped :D

-Justin.

maximus
10-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Ah yes. Now that makes sense. Thanks ! :way to go:

JustinGTP
10-07-2003, 02:19 AM
:D :D :D 0X

PetiteFlower
10-07-2003, 05:26 AM
The Seine is actually the name of the river that runs through Paris, hence the jumping of the bridge part....

JustinGTP
10-07-2003, 05:55 AM
The bridge is also call the Seine.

PetiteFlower
10-07-2003, 07:25 PM
It is? But anyway that doesn't make sense, makes more sense that being IN the river, they are "In Seine".

But then we are analyzing this way too much.....

ctmagnus
10-07-2003, 07:35 PM
But then we are analyzing this way too much.....

Yes. I think you two are in Seine.

Steven Cedrone
10-07-2003, 08:48 PM
I think this whole thread is getting in Seine... :roll:

Steve

PetiteFlower
10-07-2003, 11:28 PM
Oh I fully admit that! However you spell it, pun or no, I'm a certified looney. Don't believe me? Just look at my post count!!!!!!!

JustinGTP
10-08-2003, 12:13 AM
I love this thread. A whole lot of a lot of stuff!!

Yes, I have a friend from France and the bridge IS called the Seine. But the pun refers you to jump in to the Seine river.

LOL :D

-Justin.

:evil:

maximus
10-08-2003, 01:55 AM
Oh I fully admit that! However you spell it, pun or no, I'm a certified looney. Don't believe me? Just look at my post count!!!!!!!

OMG, Petite, you have been really active these days :mrgreen:

I love this thread. A whole lot of a lot of stuff!!

Yes, I have a friend from France and the bridge IS called the Seine. But the pun refers you to jump in to the Seine river.

In summary, anyone jumping off the bridge over the seine river is in seine, and they will end up dead. No pun intended :p

JustinGTP
10-08-2003, 02:05 AM
Heh, now you can actually use the "no pun intended"

He, lol :D

ctmagnus
10-08-2003, 03:56 AM
But should we punish him for it?

JustinGTP
10-08-2003, 06:27 AM
No, hes already a puny man in the english world.

maximus
10-08-2003, 07:28 AM
Little punk, stop calling me names, or I will punch you and punt you into the little punnet where you belong.

:mrgreen:

ctmagnus
10-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Little punk, stop calling me names

qmrq
10-08-2003, 09:53 PM
They are quite nice. I splurged and got a base model. Even the base is better than a heck of a lot of other cars fully loaded. Best value/$ at that price point (in my opinion of course, YMMV).

$ wtf ymmv
ymmv: Your Mileage May Vary. Basically means "Works for me" or "Try at your own
risk"
ymmv: your mileage may vary
$

That's what it means. :oops:

PetiteFlower
10-08-2003, 11:09 PM
Where did that come from?

JustinGTP
10-09-2003, 12:13 AM
hmm. Hopefully from his mouth translated to the keyboard.

HOWEVER, the passat thing is getting old now.

Hmm. I like watching the pages grow. Didnt think this would be so popular!! Anyways, this is not an excuse for you guys to stop posting :lol: :evil:

-J

spursdude
10-09-2003, 12:15 AM
Heh... yeah, I'm wondering that too.

maximus
10-09-2003, 01:32 AM
HOWEVER, the passat thing is getting old now.
-J

Ok, since it is getting old, could one of the moderators kindly lock this thread ? :mrgreen:

Or better yet, move the whole thread to HOFS. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

qmrq
10-09-2003, 01:34 AM
UNIX program. Has abbreviations, technical terms, etc. I thought that would be shown by the '$' (user prompt in bash) :)

qmrq
10-09-2003, 01:36 AM
Another example ...

$ wtf wtf
wtf: Who or What, depending on the context. Usually implies a question mark. Th
e "TF" is really padding, to make this a three-letter acronym, meaning something
like "pray tell"
wtf: {what,where,who,why} the f---
$

Kind of a useful program. 8)

JustinGTP
10-09-2003, 02:39 AM
right.....

JustinGTP
10-09-2003, 02:41 AM
And, nooo!! Dont remove my precioussss thread! It was correctly placed in off topic.

Maximussssss, you be quiet or Im going to come over there :agrue: :takethat:

ctmagnus
10-09-2003, 03:06 AM

Shouldn't be too far for you. He's in Idaho. :mrgreen:

dh
10-09-2003, 03:23 AM

He was in Indonesia yesterday, Singapore the day before that.
MaxMan gets around! Maybe he followed the trail of the missing laptop to Idaho. :D

JustinGTP
10-09-2003, 03:35 AM
Hmm, busy boy when he gets around....

PetiteFlower
10-09-2003, 04:19 AM
UNIX program. Has abbreviations, technical terms, etc. I thought that would be shown by the '$' (user prompt in bash) :)

Yes, that was TOTALLY clear to those heathens of us who have never used Unix......

Actually I used a Unix email program in college but I don't remember there being a $.

I was wondering why you suddenly decided to define YMMV though.

maximus
10-09-2003, 07:35 AM

He was in Indonesia yesterday, Singapore the day before that.
MaxMan gets around! Maybe he followed the trail of the missing laptop to Idaho. :D

Actually I am still in Indonesia (held in captivity against my will :p). And 'ID' is the formal country suffix for Indonesia :mrgreen:

And hey, dont mention anything about the laptop ! It still hurts (financially) to think about the laptop :mrgreen:

qmrq
10-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Yes, that was TOTALLY clear to those heathens of us who have never used Unix......
It should be!;)8)

Actually I used a Unix email program in college but I don't remember there being a $.

I was wondering why you suddenly decided to define YMMV though.
You might have had another shell.. % is prompt in C shell for example. I was defining it.. because I had no idea what it meant. :)

JustinGTP
10-10-2003, 05:48 AM
Unix. :?:

This isnt an OS thread :wink:

maximus
10-10-2003, 07:21 AM
This is the thread about everything. I think we have already discussed about 50 topics in this thread, from driver's license, unix, puns, cars, youngness, civics, signatures, avatars, the meaning of extravagant, colours, catsup, insane, in seine, etc. etc. etc.

Someone should rename the thread into: Honda, and his discussion about everything. ha ha ha.

Dave Beauvais
10-10-2003, 08:03 AM
Okay, this thread reached fourteen pages and I finally had to see why. :) I read the original post and the first few replies the day it was posted, but stopped. Now, weeks later, people are still posting to it, my curiosity meter finally red-lined, and I had to read the whole thread. I now have just one thing to ask: who do I talk to to get the last ten minutes of my life back? :lol:

--Dave

maximus
10-10-2003, 08:51 AM
I now have just one thing to ask: who do I talk to to get the last ten minutes of my life back? :lol:

--Dave

If you beat up Honda really bad, he might give you back the 10 minutes. he heh.

Janak Parekh
10-10-2003, 03:24 PM
If you beat up Honda really bad, he might give you back the 10 minutes. he heh.
Hey! No violence! :twak:

;)

--janak

qmrq
10-10-2003, 06:58 PM
Unix. :?:

This isnt an OS thread :wink:
Careful, or I might just start talking about qmail and Apache. :-P

PetiteFlower
10-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Yeah, that would kill the thread REALLY fast!

JustinGTP
10-13-2003, 06:35 AM
hehe, apache, I tried to play around with that an MY SQL once, and it wasnt very pretty.

Hmm, Im sure that last 10 minutes of your life was the best youve ever had, right dave? :wink:

-Justin

Happy Thanksgiving all you Canadians!

maximus
10-13-2003, 07:36 AM
Yeah, that would kill the threat REALLY fast!

Or we can also start talking about palm devices on this thread. ho ho.

qmrq
10-15-2003, 02:47 AM
hehe, apache, I tried to play around with that an MY SQL once, and it wasnt very pretty.
Not pretty? How so?

JustinGTP
10-15-2003, 09:45 PM
Lets say that I am going to have to view more tutorials about that subject, and then maybe I can get PHP Nuke running. Oh well, this isnt really on my list of priorities, maybe later!

-Justin.

Sheynk
10-16-2003, 12:05 AM
4. If highway driving is on the test, make sure to drive 10 - 20 mph over the speed limit like the rest of the traffic.

Thats what our Dr. ED. teachers told us when i took my exam last school year! lol

qmrq
10-16-2003, 12:50 AM
Lets say that I am going to have to view more tutorials about that subject, and then maybe I can get PHP Nuke running. Oh well, this isnt really on my list of priorities, maybe later!
Well ... did you also install and configure PHP? Apache is a webserver, it can't interact with MySQL by itself.. you need to use PHP, ASP, Perl or some other sort of server side scripting for that. :)

JustinGTP
10-16-2003, 02:13 AM
Thats why I stopped, and why do I need my own forum anyways...

JustinGTP
10-16-2003, 06:05 PM
But how do you run PHP btw?

qmrq
10-16-2003, 10:03 PM
Just ehm .. install it ;) What OS is this on? Most UNIX and Linux distros come with php. If you want to set it up for windows, get the windows package from http://www.php.net/downloads.php, extract it to C:\php, then put
LoadModule php4_module c:/php/sapi/php4apache.dll
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php3 .phtml
AddType application/x-httpd-php-source .phps
anywhere in httpd.conf, also add index.php as a valid index.

I don't think that's everything though.. might be a few more changes to make.. you also will need to set a few things in your php.ini file, but it's all pretty simple.

There is a guide to doing this... here (http://forums.devshed.com/archive/16/2000/11/4/9479). Browse around and find the windows guide, it takes you through everything step by step.

JustinGTP
10-21-2003, 02:10 AM
Sorry, I meant PHP Nuke, the forum boards. :oops:

Jon Westfall
10-21-2003, 03:14 AM
I'm amazed at this post! I haven't reviewed all the posts since it got off topic, but I can't say I dissapprove of PHP/Mysql - I've worked with them for over 1 1/2 years, and coupling them together can create some great web apps. Try www.devshed.com for tutorials on both, and http://www.firepages.com.au/ provides an excellent development environment for apache/php on windows.

If anyone has questions, i'll be happy to help as much as I can.

JustinGTP
10-21-2003, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the info mate!