View Full Version : Magazine subscriptions by ebook

bibap
09-16-2003, 08:59 PM
One of the best uses I have found for ebooks is magazine subscriptions. You get a new surprise each month, and the material is more ephemeral than a book so you don't mind deleting it. I subscribe to Analog, Fantasy and Science Fiction and Asimov's, which I got from Fictionwise. They also have mystery magazines too and they notfy you each month when your new magazine arrives.

I don't know how many people know about this, so I thought I'd post it here.

Janak Parekh
09-16-2003, 09:00 PM
Yes!! I love IASFM and F&SF (will get Analog someday, but I'm still far behind on the first two). Used to read them in paperback as a kid. The best thing is that they're not DRM-protected at all, so through Fictionwise I can get 5 different formats without any hassles. And the price is good. :D

--janak

Steven Cedrone
09-16-2003, 09:03 PM
Thanks, I guess I should visit Fictionwise a little more often...

BTW in case anyone can't find it, :wink: the URL is http://www.fictionwise.com/

Steve

Janak Parekh
09-16-2003, 09:04 PM
Steve, if you prefer, I believe PDM also has similar sci-fi subscriptions. I like using MS Reader for them, so Fictionwise is the way to go for me.

--janak

Steven Cedrone
09-16-2003, 09:09 PM
If they (Fictionwise) were using DRM I would probably go with PDM. But if it's as you say, and they don't have DRM, I would prefer having the mags formatted for Reader...

Steve

Stephen Beesley
09-26-2003, 11:30 AM
I just wish more magazines would wake up to ebook subscriptions. I would love to get the latest edition of Time Magizine delivered to my PPC for example!

Goldtee

Talldog
09-26-2003, 11:42 AM
I just wish more magazines would wake up to ebook subscriptions. I would love to get the latest edition of Time Magizine delivered to my PPC for example!
This is what I'm waiting for, too.

jkendrick
09-28-2003, 03:56 AM
Pocket PC magazine has a digital version in Reader format.

Paula
09-28-2003, 08:59 AM
Can these subscriptions be edited? By that I mean, can I delete the pages I don't want, to reduce the size of the file and keep the stories I like?

I would love to get the Ellery Queen Mag and I believe I saw the "New Strand Magazine" (Sherlock Holmes) some where.

Cheers
Paula

Janak Parekh
09-28-2003, 10:35 PM
Can these subscriptions be edited? By that I mean, can I delete the pages I don't want, to reduce the size of the file and keep the stories I like?
I don't think so. You might be able to suspend a subscription, but I haven't even tried that. The idea is that they deliver on a monthly basis -- that's about it. What I like about them is that they're not DRM-encrypted.

--janak