View Full Version : Ashamed to be a Canadian

karen
09-16-2003, 05:07 PM
I'm quite surprised that this mature debate was locked.

And on top of it, you have left this horrible statement, that your are ashamed to be Canadian (not just that you are ashamed of your government's health program on this issue or whatever your real point was) for the rest of the international audience to see for as long as these boards live, with no indication that you have decided not to defect after all....

I think that's the real shame here.

Jereboam
09-16-2003, 05:23 PM
I was surprised too...although political threads are often volatile I was just through with a lengthy post on Western political trends that gave much more substance to my earlier comments...when I hit submit the thread was locked!!

But I understand why. These threads can get really ugly. I'm just sorry I didn't get a chance to flesh out my arguments more sensibly.

J'bm

PetiteFlower
09-16-2003, 07:44 PM
I would love to continue this discussion and unlike Jason I believe that the people on this board are capable of discussing it in a mature and respectful manner. I can even start a new thread with a less agitating title--Medical Marijuana, legitimate or excuse for stoners?

I don't think it's fair for Jason to lock the thread because HE doesn't want to participate any longer.....but hey it's not my site.

karen
09-16-2003, 08:28 PM
...I didn't intend on starting the discussion up again...I'm just saddened by Jason's statement that he's ashamed to be Canadian.

If that's still true, I'm very, very disappointed.

If it's not, I sure wish he'd post something to that effect.

Karen
(and I'm dying to know what caused him to lock the thread...but that's another discussion).

disconnected
09-16-2003, 08:43 PM
I guess the only unusual thing about this particular thread-locking was that the same person started and then locked the thread, not for out-of-line posting, but for general forum unsuitability.

I do find that it's better for my blood pressure if politics is kept out of the forums, although I might like the opportunity to say "way to go, Hamish" or "Jason and Jereboam, you can't be serious". :)

A while ago there was some discussion of whether some posters might be less respected if they didn't have a subsriber badge. I didn't agree with that, but I am afraid my opinion of someone's political views (if I consider them to be extremely far right, being left-of-center myself) might actually affect how I viewed anything else they said. This is, unfortunately, one of those cases, especially as the original subject seems to go beyond politics to simple humanity.

Jason Dunn
09-16-2003, 09:25 PM
After running a site like this for almost three years, I've learned to spot a thread that will go explosive, and I realized it was a bad error on my part to even begin such a thread. It's one thing to discuss technology, but when politics, religion, sexuality, or any other "hot" topics get mixed in, the results can be disastrous. Tempers rise, feelings get hurt, and the community is damaged because of it. A few times a year I make this mistake, and I always regret it - a community can't be all things to all people, and politics and religion are best discussed elsewhere. But I feel like most people here at my friends, so I just blurt out what I think without considering the long-term consequences. :|

I didn't want to see that happen again, and I saw where this thread was headed. Perhaps I was incorrect - perhaps it would have stayed civil - but I did't want to take that risk. I'm sorry that it upset some of you that I locked the thread - it wasn't my intention to make anyone angry, just trying to do some proactive damage control. :D

You're welcome to start your own thread to discuss these issues, but be aware of the risks. :wink:

Jason Dunn
09-16-2003, 09:31 PM
I'm just saddened by Jason's statement that he's ashamed to be Canadian. If that's still true, I'm very, very disappointed.

You mean you never have days when our government does something completely stupid, and it makes you feel like you wish you lived elsewhere with less stupid governments in charge? :lol: If that's NEVER happened to you, well, you have a much more resilient spirit that I do. :wink:

I'm proud to be Canadian, but deeply saddened that our country can't seem to pick someone other than a white male rich lawyer from the east to lead our country. :| I'm not a big fan of the Liberal government, and feel they make Canadians everywhere look foolish a little too often for my liking...

And, just for the record, I said "Things like this make me ashamed to be Canadian", implying that I wasn't always ashamed, just at that moment after reading that article.

Jason Dunn
09-16-2003, 09:38 PM
I was surprised too...although political threads are often volatile I was just through with a lengthy post on Western political trends...

Ah, but that's one of the reasons I locked the thread. How did we go from legal/illegal drug use to discussing immigrants? Talk about dangerous topics! It's a small step to go from discussing immigrants to accusations of racism - it happened here earlier this year, and was really depressing to me to watch it happen . Very, very dangerous ground to be walking on...and I was scared what your comment would evoke in others. :|

Jason Dunn
09-16-2003, 09:43 PM
A while ago there was some discussion of whether some posters might be less respected if they didn't have a subsriber badge. I didn't agree with that, but I am afraid my opinion of someone's political views (if I consider them to be extremely far right, being left-of-center myself) might actually affect how I viewed anything else they said.

I agree with that completely. I found myself staring in bewilderment at some of the comments from some people, and I'm sure the feeling was mutual. It's kind of funny how we don't really know each other that well, even if we read/write messages here constantly...

Anyway, some topics are best discussed over a cup of coffee rather than in a forum, and I tend to think this is one of them. :)

famousdavis
09-16-2003, 10:12 PM
I'm proud to be Canadian, but deeply saddened that our country can't seem to pick someone other than a white male rich lawyer from the east to lead our country

Yes, white male rich lawyers really are a bane to society, aren't they, Jason? If only we could have more non-white, female, poor housewives elected to office, maybe things would be much better, yes?

Geez. Talk about insulting your audience....care to add to your list of who wouldn't be a fitting leader for your country -- because they haven't the right gender, color, income level or career background? :(

Steven Cedrone
09-16-2003, 10:26 PM
Thread locked...

Let's get back to Pocket PC's, shall we???

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

Jason Dunn
09-16-2003, 10:50 PM
Yes, white male rich lawyers really are a bane to society, aren't they, Jason? If only we could have more non-white, female, poor housewives elected to office, maybe things would be much better, yes? Geez. Talk about insulting your audience....care to add to your list of who wouldn't be a fitting leader for your country -- because they haven't the right gender, color, income level or career background? :(

No, you misunderstand me 8O - what I'm saying is that the past several prime Ministers of Canada have all been the same types of people, with the same education, from the same part of Canada, of the same sex, and of the same ethnic background (Kim Campbell doesn't count I'm afraid).

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being male, white, or a lawyer, but what I'm saying is that after having so many leaders that have been very similar, I'd love to see someone different as the leader of my country country. ANYTHING different would be a nice change. You're not from Canada I see, so this might be hard to understand, but it would be sort of like having your past seven presidents all being lawyers from New York. Not that there's anything wrong with New York, but I want to see Canada change, grow, evolve as a country - and I feel like our leaders don't really DO anything when they get into office. They all have the same agenda's, the same goals, and the same beliefs. I'd like to see a different type of person in office as our leader, someone with a different viewpoint, a different history. Does that make sense?

See why politics and Pocket PC Thoughts don't mix? This is what happens every time I express a political opinion...<sigh> :|

EDIT: Oops...I didn't see that Steven had locked this. I've had my response window open for the past 30 minutes, so it wasn't locked when I started writing this.