View Full Version : Contacts and SD storage card

philip_milazzo
09-15-2003, 11:24 PM
Am I stuck with keeping my Contacts in h5450 main memory? I'd like to move them to a Secure Digital card but find no information on doing that. The Conact Tools choices are Dial, Beam and Send. The Contact Options change only the appearance. I want to change the file location. File Explorer doesn't do it either.

Jason Dunn
09-15-2003, 11:54 PM
No, you can't move the core database to an SD card - it has to reside in main memory. Can I ask why you want to move it?

philip_milazzo
09-16-2003, 01:29 AM
No, you can't move the core database to an SD card - it has to reside in main memory. Can I ask why you want to move it?

It's just an example of an innocent user expecting to be able to do something "simple" and running into a restriction.

I thought moving my Contacts (1200 entries and growing) to a storage card might help the iPAQ's performance. Thanks for your reply.

Rok
09-16-2003, 10:36 AM
I thought moving my Contacts (1200 entries and growing) to a storage card might help the iPAQ's performance.
It wouldn't. It would, in fact, seriously deteriorate it. And crash it if you swapped the SD cards....

Do not be bothered by the ammount of used storage RAM - it doesn't affect performance at all.

As for the "simple" task and running into "restrictions" - what you want is something akin to moving, say, the injection system of your car's engine to the car's trunk. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rok

Jason Dunn
09-17-2003, 03:33 AM
It's just an example of an innocent user expecting to be able to do something "simple" and running into a restriction.

Well, you have to think of the scenarios: what happens to contacts if you remove the storage card? If Microsoft wanted to support that scenario, they'd have to design the core PIM apps to still somehow function in that scenario. Let's say it would still open, and you could add a contact. What happens to that contact when you put the SD card back in - would it merge the database? What happens if you were to sync with Outlook while the SD card is removed? There are dozens of messy scenarios here, so I can see why Microsoft doesn't support this. ;-)

DustyLBottoms
09-17-2003, 05:49 AM
You'd have to have a version of activesync just for the Card!!

and we all know how well that would work :roll:

rzanology
09-18-2003, 01:12 PM
1200 and growing huh....just make sure you run backup on your ipaq every night as well as your pc! you'll be aight

Janak Parekh
09-18-2003, 03:41 PM
I thought moving my Contacts (1200 entries and growing) to a storage card might help the iPAQ's performance. Thanks for your reply.
Just a minor addendum: 1200 contacts really doesn't eat up that much space, so the utility of keeping it on a Storage Card would be absolutely minimal, and the hassle tremendous (as Jason hinted towards).

--janak