View Full Version : WhisRaider - Whistle to Control Your Ship

David Prahl
09-15-2003, 11:11 PM
I just found WhisRaider from Phonature© (http://www.phonature.com/home/products_pdaApp_ppc_WhisRaider.htm).
http://www.phonature.com/home/images/pda/whisRaider/WhisRaider101_Main.gif

It's a clone of "Space Invaders", except you move your ship left and right by varying the pitch of your whistling.

It's a fun concept (until you pass out), but I can't HIT the "bad guys"! I shoot them, but they don't disappear.

Has anyone gotten a "hit" on the bad buys while playing this game? I'd like to be able to get it working.

upplepop
09-15-2003, 11:58 PM
8O Now that has got to be one of the wierdest uses of a Pocket PC I've seen to date. Can you imagine what the people around you would think when you're playing this!?

...But kudos to them for thinking "outside the box" :)

David Prahl
09-16-2003, 12:26 AM
Can you imagine what the people around you would think when you're playing this!?

:lol: I can see someone playing this in a public place like a library. After getting really involved in the game, throwing the PPC from side to side like a kid with a Nintendo, the person passes out in a crescendo of whistles.
:rotfl:

If there were TV commercials for PPC software, this would be one I'd tape!

David Prahl
09-16-2003, 02:49 PM
Can someone out there install it on their device and see if they can register "hits" on the invaders?

This could be a really fun game, if it worked. :D

scmok
11-26-2004, 04:26 AM
You can't kill invaders with the demo version.
It is now free for thanksgiving.
Look here :

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=9117

Pat Logsdon
11-26-2004, 06:44 AM
Ok, I HAD to try this out. I downloaded the app from the link provided (thanks, scmok!) and installed it. First of all, I have to say that I was a little disappointed that the whistling guy wasn't present. :(

After playing with it for several minutes, I discovered that my previous attempts to whistle "The Flight of the Bumblebee" resulted in my getting killed with alarming frequency. I also couldn't shoot anything. I found that whistling distinct notes rather slowly had the best effect. High notes move the ship to the right, and low ones move it to the left.

To fire, select "Options" at the bottom, and then select "Auto Fire". This is a pretty cool feature, as it allows you to continuously fire for as long as you can hold a note. I was able to kill most of the invaders of the first level in this fashion, but I felt as though I had just blown up about 50 balloons. Smokers, this game is not for you. :wink:

While this is a fairly fun game, I did find that it was susceptible to outside influences. Namely, my wife was annoyed at all of the infernal whistling coming from the office. I explained what I was doing, and she proceeded to screw up my games by whistling at inopportune moments. Thanks, honey. :mrgreen:

In short, check it out, if only for the novelty value.

scmok
11-27-2004, 09:02 AM
she proceeded to screw up my games by whistling at inopportune moments. Thanks, honey. :mrgreen:

Your better half is a genius ! :D

This is exactly how the game is meant to be played. One person plays combat and another guy trys to ruin the game. But since the one with louder voice wins, and the combat guy is holding the PDA closer, the combat guy can always control the fighter as long as the combat guy can whistle. Anytime this guy ceases to hold enough breath, control is lost.

Enjoy :devilboy:

Lex
11-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Reminds me of the first RC race cars which operated in the 27mhz range. My brother and I discovered you could foul up the other's car control by whistling into the CB radio in Dad's car set to a certain channel. Anyone remember CB radios? OK, 8 track tape players? Hello?

Darius Wey
11-28-2004, 08:12 AM
This is exactly how the game is meant to be played. One person plays combat and another guy trys to ruin the game. But since the one with louder voice wins, and the combat guy is holding the PDA closer, the combat guy can always control the fighter as long as the combat guy can whistle. Anytime this guy ceases to hold enough breath, control is lost.

I'd suck at this game. I can't even whistle properly! :cry: 8)