View Full Version : Old tech vs. new tech (PCMCIA vs. CF)

hvnsbane
09-15-2003, 08:54 PM
I currently have a PCMCIA expansion slot on my Ipaq. But what is better? PCMCIA or CF? Which draws more power? If I get a PCMCIA card, then I could use it with a laptop (when I get one - down the road)... but that's the only advantage I know of (being of limited knowledge).

What are your opinions?

Thanks!

CoreyJF
09-15-2003, 10:11 PM
I think it is a personal desision. The PC card is more versital but it does drain power quicker even with the built in battery. But you can add a pc card harddrive and get more memory for cheaper then CF. I find it to bulky to carry around and don't use mine very often.

Bob Anderson
09-15-2003, 10:41 PM
I am the type of person that always looks for maximum expandability.

It is for that reason that I'd suggest you keep your PCMCIA sleeve. The types of devices it can accept are much more varied (although the card has to have drivers that work with your PPC OS.)

You can use a CF card in a laptop by using a PCMCIA to CF adapter... which isn't that much, if that was your choice (so don't worry about your CF cards not working in the laptop -- assuming the manufacturer of the card you buy/have supports Win XP, or whatever OS you have on a potential other machine.

But some cards, like the Sierra Wireless AirCard 555 (CDMA 1xRTT transmitter/reciver is only available in PC Card (PCMCIA) format and has drivers for both the PPC and Win XP.) I suppose it may, one day, come out in CF Format.. but if it ever does it will certainly cost more than the PC Card style.

If you want to make sure your peripherals have maximum flexibility between devices then:

1. Keep the PC Card sleeve
2. Check out potential peripherals to determine if they have both PPC and Windows Drivers

I have the "dual PC Card" expansion pack for my iPaq and completely love it. I use my memory cards (Sony Memory Stick Pro & Sandisk CF) along with my Sierra Wireless Aircard and soon to purchase a Toshiba PC Card hard drive!