View Full Version : HP, ROMs, customer service, etc.

Rok
09-15-2003, 03:44 PM
I browsed through the "warez" topic in eBooks forum with some interest. While I have spent almost 500 USD in the last year for PPC software and eBooks and generally agree with Jason's view on this, there's also a twist. Particularly, when it comes to upgrading ROMs.

HP is deliberately making it overly difficult (and indeed in some instances impossible) to purchase the WM2003 update. How difficult would it be to offer it as a CC-paid download? I can get just about any piece of software I can think of that way (PC versions notwithstanding and P2P doesn't count - I mean I can legally download licensed software). I am currently unable to purchase the upgrade for my 3970, although I would pay for it in a heartbeat. Instead, they're driving me towards swapping my unit for a newer model sooner than I would otherwise - which is ultimately their goal. That's not really customer service, if you ask me. It's more of a disservice.

And while I understand Jason's policy on warez and also agree with it, I don't think ROM upgrades in the case of HP (which I'm familiar with) fall into the same category (at least not indiscriminately so). If the manufacturer doesn't want to provide me with official upgrade (even though available), I'll take the unofficial one without feeling any remorse. And if that is piracy, then call me a pirate.

PDAs in Europe cost more than they do in the States (though the prices are getting closer), so why don't they treat me at least as good as they do customers from across the Pond?

:devilboy:

Cheers,
Rok

P.S.
This is a pet-peeve of mine and I certainly do not expect Jason to let anyone post relevant links in the Forums, as I'm certain the site would go down in flames very fast indeed - HP's legal department is surely not to be messed around with.

PetiteFlower
09-15-2003, 06:51 PM
He meant ROMs as in NES emulator ROMs, not ROM upgrades. But any talk about getting non-free software without paying for it is not going to win you any friends around here.

Janak Parekh
09-15-2003, 07:14 PM
Unfortunately, PF is right. If you get the ROM inappropriately, even if HP is making it difficult to do so, you're a "pirate". That's just the way the world works, and we have to abide by it. :( HP's people read this site, so we don't want to get in trouble. Let's just hope they've also read all the complaints on the difficulty of obtaining upgrade ROMs.

--janak

Rok
09-15-2003, 07:38 PM
He meant ROMs as in NES emulator ROMs, not ROM upgrades. But any talk about getting non-free software without paying for it is not going to win you any friends around here.
It didn't occur to me at all (as I don't use my PPC for playing games, apart from a brief Bejewelled intermezzo or some chess). As for the second comment, you've missed the mark by a mile...

Let's just hope they've also read all the complaints on the difficulty of obtaining upgrade ROMs.

... as that would be it.

I haven't flashed my 3970 with a pirated ROM. It's a working machine and I simply cannot take the risk with something unofficial. But I loathe HP for not providing me with the same level of support some areas of the world get. Why? Are your dollars greener than mine? Have you paid more? I doubt it. :evil:

Well, the world doesn't "work" by itself - we're part of it and making it work. So hopefully, this kind of bad business practice will be rooted out in the future, so a disgruntled user contemplating the "unofficial" route as a last resort will not be marked as a pirate.

Cheers.
Rok