View Full Version : Dragonlance Ebooks?

Enderet
09-15-2003, 07:54 AM
:twisted: Any dragonlance fans out there?

I am sure a few of you have read some of these fantasy books... they are right up there with LoTR and other great fantasy novels if you ask me. The reason I am posting, is because I wanted to know if any of you know where I could find any dragonlance ebooks. If I am correct there are about 100+ books in the series, so... I think at least a couple should be floating around somewhere in the net. Any help? :hippy:

PetiteFlower
09-15-2003, 01:40 PM
None that I could find. I looked a while back because I'm interested in starting to read some of the series, I even emailed the publisher, but didn't get a response.

Jereboam
09-15-2003, 09:58 PM
I loved the Dragonlance books, but most of them are out of print now. I am slowly building up my collection, I travel a lot and find them in the oddest of places.

The original Chronicles were the best.

Personally, I think out-of-print niche market books like this are perfect candidates for eBook-isation.

Let me have the publisher's email address if you still have it, I'll mail them too, maybe we can get it done by sheer weight of numbers (like all three of us).

J'bm

Jason Dunn
09-15-2003, 10:22 PM
I loved the Dragonlance books, but most of them are out of print now.

Hey, we agree on that! I loved those books too... :D

Personally, I think out-of-print niche market books like this are perfect candidates for eBook-isation.

For the record, I feel it's morally acceptable to convert a book to eBook format if you own the book. I'm the guy who rips DVDs he owns so they can be used personally in other formats.

Jolard
09-15-2003, 11:37 PM
These books are floating around the net. I don't think there are any "official" versions though, but I have seen them.

I love the series too, and would be willing to buy them in a good formatted ebook. The ones I saw were poorly formatted txt files. I guess you could always author them into reader files or something.

Jereboam
09-16-2003, 12:19 AM
Hey, we agree on that! I loved those books too...

Brilliant characters...brought to life. The thing about them, which IMHO is the magic of any good book, is that the characters never stayed the same for too long...witness Raistlin's slow change to his true self, Tanis living up to himself, and so on...really brought to life.

For the record, I feel it's morally acceptable to convert a book to eBook format if you own the book. I'm the guy who rips DVDs he owns so they can be used personally in other formats.

Likewise. But what about downloading a preconverted ebook if you own the book? There we get on to legally if not morally shaky ground...as we know... ;)

I tried the whole ripping/converting DVD thing, but it was just too much hassle...I basically wasn't prepared to put in the time required to make it perfect, and there (at least then) wasn't any really acceptable "one click" way of doing it. MP3s however - there I am both an expert and a fanatic. That's actually what I'm doing now...from my own discs of course. ;)

For the record, I am glad we got ourselves reconciled as far as possible anyway. That really turned into something weird. I am also glad a less stern warning has been stuck...

See you on the boards. :beer:

J'bm

ethancaine
09-16-2003, 02:22 AM
A few things to note...

First of all, I am an ecstatic reader of DL books, and my collection is currently at 78 (including 24 first editions and 4 Impossible To Find OOP), though being stationed in Japan has deterred my efforts greatly. :rock on dude!:

Second, the publishing hands have changed so many times, it's rediculous. TSR -> WotC -> Hasbro -> ??Sovereign Press?? :confused totally:

I honestly think that this would be a great question to post on www.dragonlance.com and would do so myself were it not for the filters here at work stopping me. :bad-words:

Jereboam
09-16-2003, 03:16 AM
Just heading over there.

Oh, and by the way...fly navy... :D

No, not serving but very into naval aviation. And man it pisses me off that you do it better than us...we Brits invented the modern carrier...right?

You ever want to talk shop, I'm with you. I love anything that flies. ;)

J'bm

VanHlebar
09-16-2003, 12:42 PM
I stared a thread over at the Dragon Lance Forums. If you want to see these books released in e-book format, head over there and post your request. Lets see what we can do.

-Eric

http://forums.dragonlance.com

It's under the Novels section.

Enderet
09-17-2003, 04:47 AM
:lol:

Hello everyone, im glad to see that there are other DragonLance fans out there. Well as for me and DragonLance, I have been reading the series for about 2 years now, after a friend bet me that I would fall in love with the series(I was into Asimov back then and didnt believe there were any fantasy books that were REAL good[Good thing i was proved wrong]). I have a couple of books and I found some in ebook format going around.

Recently I asked for my friend to keep an eye out and he says he found some at some irc server. Well, not just some.... A LOT. Anyways, I just bought my tablet and im setting it up so I havent installed mirc on it, but he said he would try to dl all of the books. Ill let you guys know the exact server and all that info in some other post.

Est sularas oth mithas!!!!!!! 0X

Enderet
09-17-2003, 05:48 AM
*** IRC channel info removed by moderator KC 16-Sept-03.

have fun!

Kati Compton
09-17-2003, 06:39 AM
Please do not post locations to obtain the DragonLance eBooks illegally.

As a reminder, please read the eBook forum policy (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18112).

Thanks!

hardcoredummy
09-18-2003, 04:39 AM
I loved Dragonlance Chronicles, they were my absolute favorite books for over a decade... until i read a Song of Ice and Fire. After reading Song of Ice and Fire, reading Dragonlance was like reading a child's novel.

Anyways, i was able to download DL from various places, but they were extremely poor quality, and i often had to literally go back to my real books to read entire chapters. So if you're looking for non-commerical ones, they're out there... just not worth getting imo.

Jereboam
09-18-2003, 05:27 AM
... until i read a Song of Ice and Fire

Yes, great stuff - I am half way through A Game of Thrones...

Fictionwise have a great offer on the Fire and Ice series, you can get the first two volumes, A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings (http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook8629.htm) as a 2 for 1 offer for $6.99, and I picked up the third volume with Micropay rebates, which meant I got the whole series for the price of one book. Unbeatable.

People are already calling this series classic.

J'bm

dh
09-18-2003, 01:46 PM
... until i read a Song of Ice and Fire

Yes, great stuff - I am half way through A Game of Thrones...

Fictionwise have a great offer on the Fire and Ice series, you can get the first two volumes, A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings (http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook8629.htm) as a 2 for 1 offer for $6.99, and I picked up the third volume with Micropay rebates, which meant I got the whole series for the price of one book. Unbeatable.

People are already calling this series classic.

J'bm
Thanks for that, just bought mine.

Jereboam
09-18-2003, 05:41 PM
No problem. Not a bad deal huh? I can't remember having gotten into a fantasy series this good in recent memory. I also like very much that it is firmly aimed at an adult audience...there's no dressing down to keep it OK for little 'uns as with so many fantasy books - it's got a gritty realism to it that I thoroughly enjoy.

Maybe we should post the offer separately so that more people can take advantage. In fact I'll do that now.

J'bm

dh
09-18-2003, 06:34 PM
I was reading the Robert Jordon Wheel of Time series, but the books seemed to be getting bigger and bigger and the plot slower and slower. I like his writing but when nothing really happens for the best part of 1,000 pages it gets to be hard work.

I used to buy each book when it was first published but I've missed the last two.

Kati Compton
09-18-2003, 10:58 PM
I was reading the Robert Jordon Wheel of Time series, but the books seemed to be getting bigger and bigger and the plot slower and slower. I like his writing but when nothing really happens for the best part of 1,000 pages it gets to be hard work.
Yeah, I stopped a while ago when his female characters got less and less interesting. Ceased to be worth the time investment.

Jolard
09-19-2003, 12:45 AM
My wife just finished reading the latest Wheel of Time, book 10. She and I have read all of them up to this point, and I was going to start it. But she told me to wait until book 11 comes out, because apparently book 10 is pretty devoid of any plot advancement. It simply is a huge book where nothing actually happens.

I agree that they seem to have slowed down terribly.

I will have to give the Song of Ice and Fire a go, I would be interested in a new good series.

adrenaline7930
09-25-2003, 03:15 PM
I heard the reason the WoT series slowed down (mainly for books 9 & 10) is because TOR told Robert Jordan that they want him to write two more books than he was planning right around when he wrote book 9. Maybe that's why there's no timeline progression in 10 till half the book is gone? Guess we'll have to wait till 11. BTW...anyone know when it's scheduled to come out (I can't wait to read it).

Ive read through 10 and i suggest the read to everyone. Its slow, yes, but its just like going to work, you gotta do the work to get to the good stuff. That is saying RJ stops re-wording everything he writes in the previous book fifty times in the 200 page prologue. :lol:

aroma
10-02-2003, 07:20 PM
Sorry for being a little late in on this thread... I too am a big Dragonlance fan. The Chronicles are one of the best fantasy series I've read. Another great series, in my opinion, by the authors of the Chronicles is the Death Gate Cycle.

- Aaron