View Full Version : SD Card Reader

rwolf
09-15-2003, 03:18 AM
I have a 2210 and SD Card Reader, I know I can copy files to the SD Card through the card reader.
Do I need to do any file conversion so that the 2210 can access the files like:-
MP3, picture files, movies and others?

Janak Parekh
09-15-2003, 03:25 AM
Nope. :) That's the beauty of Pocket PC.

Mind you, some video formats won't work, but that's because those codecs don't exist.

--janak

rwolf
09-15-2003, 04:22 AM
thank you,
howcome when using the active sync\explore and copying files to it is so slow?

Janak Parekh
09-15-2003, 04:24 AM
Because ActiveSync has poor performance. :( Use a dedicated USB reader, and you'll be much happier.

--janak

rwolf
09-15-2003, 04:31 AM
so all my word, excel, powerpoint and such files can be transfer and read my the ipag 2200.
Would there be a program to do the conversion so that the tranfer would be faster?

maximus
09-15-2003, 05:21 AM
Because ActiveSync has poor performance. :( Use a dedicated USB reader, and you'll be much happier.

--janak

You mean, activesync has done a very good job on slowing down USB ? :mrgreen:

This is because ... microsoft is planning to release a proprietary serial communication protocol to replace USB, it is called .... DRUG (Digital Reversible Universal Gates). Activesync will run ten times faster on DRUG.

Anthony Caruana
09-15-2003, 01:11 PM
This is because ... microsoft is planning to release a proprietary serial communication protocol to replace USB, it is called .... DRUG (Digital Reversible Universal Gates). Activesync will run ten times faster on DRUG.

LMAO - I'm scared to ask how you will figure out if your hardware is on DRUG

Janak Parekh
09-15-2003, 06:56 PM
so all my word, excel, powerpoint and such files can be transfer and read my the ipag 2200.
Would there be a program to do the conversion so that the tranfer would be faster?
Ah, I see your point. The best way to do this is indeed through ActiveSync -- the USB reader would be useful for things like MP3s and videos. You can copy .DOC and .XLS files that way, but then the ActiveSync conversion won't happen seamlessly and the Pocket PC has to work slightly harder.

What I suggest you do is to go into ActiveSync and set up Synchronized Files (it's one of the synchronization options, along with contacts, etc.) and drop the files you want in there; ActiveSync will only sync up the files you make changes in, so it should be pretty fast.

--janak

Janak Parekh
09-15-2003, 06:57 PM
:rotfl:

--janak

rwolf
09-16-2003, 07:08 AM
What I suggest you do is to go into ActiveSync and set up Synchronized Files (it's one of the synchronization options, along with contacts, etc.) and drop the files you want in there; ActiveSync will only sync up the files you make changes in, so it should be pretty fast.

--janak

Ok, Thank You, is there such a program that will make such changes, so that the Active Sync won't have to work so hard and be a tad faster?

AL904a
09-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Who makes a good USB SD Card reader?

ChristopherTD
09-16-2003, 02:04 PM
I have a little Belkin model which works very well. It has a cable and a reader module, some are just a module with a built in USB plug (no cables) which can be more convenient if your USB ports are at the front of your PC.

rwolf
09-16-2003, 03:58 PM
I have a Mega Steno 2.0 a USB 6-IN-1 Reader and Flash drive from apacer, no complaints so far.

Is there any docs, or pages available regarding tricks and tips for the 2200 series?... TQ in advance

Janak Parekh
09-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Ok, Thank You, is there such a program that will make such changes, so that the Active Sync won't have to work so hard and be a tad faster?
The functionality I just described is built into ActiveSync. The only catch is that ActiveSync can't sync data on a SD card. If you need that, check out MightySync (http://www.mydocsunlimited.com/html/mightysync.html).

--janak