View Full Version : Book won't open

tregnier
09-14-2003, 02:00 PM
Hi,

I've been downloading the free e-books from Microsoft Reader's site. One of them, A ShortHistory of Nearly Everything, is fascinating and I'm about 1/2 way through it. Here's the rub.

I installed Pocket PC 2003 yesterday and reinstalled all my applications. I can read all the books I've downloaded...except for the Nearly Everything book. I get a message saying that "Microsoft Reader is no able to access the book". I tried deleting the book file from the PPC and then recopying from my desktop where, by the way, I can still read the book using MS Reader. I can read all the other books that I've downloaded from the MS site.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

bjornkeizers
09-14-2003, 02:04 PM
I get those errors on occasion. Usually when I'm reading a very large book [like 2000+ pages in Reader] When I get to say.. 1800 I start getting those errors. Is it a large book? If it is, you might try increasing your program memory which helped sometimes, or download it and chop it up into smaller parts.

yvilla
09-14-2003, 04:05 PM
I had the same problem at intervals all the way through one of the other recent free Microsoft ebooks (Devil's Banker). Although it was aggravating as heck, every time I got that message I could continue by closing Microsoft Reader, opening it again, opening the book again, and then choosing "furthest read" in the "go" menu. It would it fact take me right to where I left off, and I could read another I don't know how many pages before the message would pop up again. :bad-words:

I also found that this ebook did not have the same problem on my tablet.

lisantica
09-14-2003, 05:15 PM
I have had that same problem too. What fixed it for me was re-authenticating my Microsoft Reader on my PocketPC from the Microsoft website.
I'm about 1/2 way through "History of Nearly Everything" too. I love that book!
Lisa

miterb
09-14-2003, 06:47 PM
I just moved three of the 'free' e-books from Microsoft Fall offer to my PDA and NONE of them will open. I get the message described above during the first access to the book and do not get a chance to go anywhere in the books.

Brad Miter

disconnected
09-14-2003, 07:27 PM
yvilla, I think my problem is the same as yours. I have the latest version of Reader, and I can download, copy, and open all the books with no problems. However, I also get that message, at intervals, in the middle of reading books. I haven't experimented enough to find out if it's with all Lit books, or just certain types of books because most of my reading is with the Peanut Press reader. I use the same workaround as you, but it's getting aggravating.

tregnier
09-14-2003, 07:44 PM
When I installed PPC2003, I had to reactivate MS Reader, so that's not the issue; but I went back and tried to reactivate again. I cannot open this particular book. I've deleted it from the PPC and re-copied from the desktop (where it works). It's almost like the book has "expired" its license or something.

Any other ideas, guys/gals?

ctmagnus
09-14-2003, 08:35 PM
I had a similar problem. I keep my ebooks on a SD card. A few days ago, I went to open one of them and it wouldn't open. In fact, none of them would open, even the ones that weren't part of MS's promotion. Scandisk didn't fix it, defragging the card didn't fix it. I copied the books back to the SD card from backups I have on CD-RW and now I can open them all.

yvilla
09-15-2003, 12:20 AM
This is one of the reasons why Palm Reader, is my favorite too, with Mobipocket a close second.
But I can't pass up these free books, despite the aggravation. :wink: When this promotion is over, however, it'll be no more MS Reader for me again!

miterb
09-15-2003, 02:10 PM
:D Finally got mine to work after downloading PPC program again and installing it to my SD card. Then I had to go and change the Icon properties to point to the card .exe. The re-install did not change them from the version in \windows. I'll worry about uninstalling the \Window stuff later.

Brad