View Full Version : Where do you keep your E-books

Len Egan
09-14-2003, 12:30 PM
I keep my books on a SD card and then copy the current one I'm using to my lPAQ filestore. I know some store on their Desktop. Where do you keep yours?

surur
09-14-2003, 12:47 PM
My Documents>my Library of course (and on my Sd card, but not all of them)

That way you only have to back up the one my documents hierachy

Surur

dhettel
09-14-2003, 02:43 PM
/SD Card/My Documents/My Library I keep 20 or 30 there. I keep backups on my Hard Drives. That works for me.

David

absolutVenky
09-14-2003, 05:03 PM
Every book I buy or download for free goes into my desktop PC (My Library) and my iPAQ's SD card. I delete it from the SD after I've read it.

onesix18
09-14-2003, 05:21 PM
I keep them on my SD Card, in the directory "My Documents/My Library/". I also keep a copy on my hard drive in "My Documents/My Library/".

szamot
09-14-2003, 07:25 PM
I keep about 60 books on SD card \My Documents\ebooks on my PDA. All the books I have are kept on my latop and a back up copy on my server. Yeah I know it sounds paranoid but I hate losing stuff.

Gerard
09-14-2003, 07:58 PM
As always, the whole collection of LIT formatted ebooks are in my PC in the default folder. Then I move a copy to my external HDD, and Accurite Travel HD with a 6GB disc. From there I move a few dozen of the titles I'm most interested in to a CF card, which lives always in the second slot of my MemPlug dual CF sleeve. Then I have about a dozen or so in my 256MB SD, in the iPAQ 3835 I use for all non-paper reading.

I have a folder there; \Storage Card\My Documents\books. Also in that folder are a lot more books in HTML format, inside moderately compressed ZIP files. µbook is my reader of choice, and it is so much better than Microsoft's Reader that I generally convert (using ConvertLIT - not legal to use in the USA, where I don't live) any LIT-formatted ebook to HTML for longer-term storage and reading. Like many others, I rather doubt I'll be using a Microsoft-created OS in years to come. I want flexibility where my file types are concerned, and HTML offers that. It can be re-converted to many other reader formats should I wish it, unbinding me from slavery to one OS.

Oops, this thread is about 'where', not about the politics of ebook security. Sorry. ;)

ctmagnus
09-14-2003, 08:42 PM
The books I'm currently working on live in SD Card\My Documents\My Library. Backups, as well as everything else, reside on a CD-RW.

Gerard
09-14-2003, 09:14 PM
That's a good point about putting them on CD. I'm usually so much focused on being a standalone PPC user, I forget that magnetic storage media like my Accurite or flash memory like my cards are decidedly less reliable than a good old CD. All it'd take is a few dimes for the odd CD every few weeks, and about half an hour to properly add folders full of files to the CD before ripping, and I'd have even more peace of mind where data archiving is concerned. Thanks for the reminder.

If there where a CD reader/writer for the iPAQ, I'd be a lot more likely to remember this. Especially so if it were for those cool little 200MB+ mini-CDR discs. I like those a lot, for being able to cram piles of data into a tiny space. A stack of those can be stashed lots of places, and forgotten until needed one day.

dh
09-14-2003, 11:16 PM
On my CF card I have four directories. Music, Books, Movies, Backups.
I bet you can guess where my books live.
I also have copies on my HD on my Thinkpad.

Len Egan
09-15-2003, 02:48 AM
My follow-up question is "Where do you buy them?" I am a reviewer for Bostonpocketpc.com and have reviewed several e-books in the past. I am interested in the future of ebook as it is my preferred way to read a book. Thanks for all the input.

Gerard
09-15-2003, 03:03 AM
http://www.baen.com/library/titles.htm

http://www.fictionwise.com/

seidler
09-18-2003, 04:38 PM
My follow-up question is "Where do you buy them?" I am a reviewer for Bostonpocketpc.com and have reviewed several e-books in the past. I am interested in the future of ebook as it is my preferred way to read a book. Thanks for all the input.
There is already a thread for that:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18030
or (better maybe)
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18059

0X Stefan