View Full Version : Telepathy is Not One of my Core Skills

Jason Dunn
09-14-2003, 10:33 AM
This is just a quick reminder: if you're going to use the form to contact us, please ensure you include a valid return email address. I've had several email messages in the past week come my way (like one about Blogger and my <a href="http://www.buildingwithbaywest.com">Bay West Web site</a>), and when I've tried to respond, there hasn't been a valid email address included in the form. 8O I try to respond to every email message that comes my way, even if it's just a "Please ask this question in the forums", but when you don't provide one, I can't get back to you. :wink:

easylife
09-14-2003, 01:31 PM
Anyways, what happens if someone doesn't have an email address or want a reply? (Not saying this is me, I have an email address) :wink:

bjornkeizers
09-14-2003, 02:00 PM
Anyways, what happens if someone doesn't have an email address or want a reply? (Not saying this is me, I have an email address) :wink:

How can you *not* have an Email address?? Huh? :lol: You'd need one to sign up with the forums, and if you have internet - 99% of the time you have one. Heck, I have five! Seriously though, I don't think there's anybody on here without at least two addresses.

Shadowcat
09-14-2003, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I havne't seen any ISPs not provide an e-mail address. So as long as you have internet access at home, you should have at least one e-mail. I myself have four e-mail accounts and I'm thinking of getting another one!

Kati Compton
09-14-2003, 04:59 PM
People accessing from web terminals at schools/libraries may not have an email.

Janak Parekh
09-14-2003, 05:55 PM
One word: Hotmail. About 80% of the time I see anyone at a web terminal, they're using Hotmail. Another 15% or so of web terminal users are using Yahoo email.

And to think I registered back in Hotmail's early days, about 6 months after it came out, when the mailbox got no spam... times have changed.

--janak

Kati Compton
09-14-2003, 05:59 PM
One word: Hotmail. About 80% of the time I see anyone at a web terminal, they're using Hotmail. Another 15% or so of web terminal users are using Yahoo email.
I didn't say those people *couldn't* have email. Just that they may not have email. Of course they can get one. I was trying to refute the assertion that anyone who accesses this site must have an email account.

Janak Parekh
09-14-2003, 06:03 PM
I didn't say those people *couldn't* have email. Just that they may not have email. Of course they can get one. I was trying to refute the assertion that anyone who accesses this site must have an email account.
Ah. I'm kind of curious, though, to know which readers of this site don't have an email account. (Of course, they couldn't post here without confirming their account via email, so we'll never know.)

I more suspect that anonymous submissions are made because people are being protective of their email addresses, or that they're just being clueless/lazy, but that's just my psuedo-informed guess. ;) The news team's point is that if you write an email asking a question, not including an email address is... pointless. And we get quite a few of those!

--janak

scargill
09-14-2003, 10:41 PM
I more suspect that anonymous submissions are made because people are being protective of their email addresses, or that they're just being clueless/lazy, but that's just my psuedo-informed guess. ;) The news team's point is that if you write an email asking a question, not including an email address is... pointless. And we get quite a few of those!

I think that wha you mentioned earlier might come into it alot....SPAM!
Nowadays I have to be very careful of where I put my e-mail address, luckily I have my own domain name, so signing up with a different email address depending for the site is useful, also helps me track down where spam is coming from and where people have found me from.
However PocketPCThoughts is one of the very few sites I actually have 100% faith in to not send me any spam at all.
Also of course, if you've signed up for the forum then you have already given your email address. Maybe an idea for the site would be to submit questions with the users username/password/email address ripped from their cookie?

easylife
09-14-2003, 10:46 PM
Maybe an idea for the site would be to submit questions with the users username/password/email address ripped from their cookie?
At present, the cookie only contains your user ID number (can be traced back to your username), an MD5 hash of your password, and various polls you've participated in.

Jason Dunn
09-14-2003, 10:49 PM
Anyways, what happens if someone doesn't have an email address or want a reply?

If they don't want a reply, then they won't be asking for a response, in which case I don't need their email address, right? Why do I even need to state that - it's it painfully obvious? :?

Likewise, if they don't want to contact us, they shouldn't fill out the form.

And if they don't want to view the site, they shouldn't type it in the URL.

There, I think that covers all my bases. :lol:

Jason Dunn
09-14-2003, 10:51 PM

PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE!

Is there anything that you all WON'T discuss ad nasuem?? :lol: Look, this is a non-issue: all I was saying was that if someone emails me asking me a question, and they want a response, they should include a valid return email address, or I can't get back to them. It's very simple.

That's all I was saying.

Jason Dunn
09-14-2003, 10:55 PM
I think that wha you mentioned earlier might come into it alot....SPAM!

That's true, but it's not like I'm asking for every new submission to include a valid email address - if you don't want us to respond back to your message, you don't need to include an email address. But if you do want a response, we need a valid email address to respond to.

Maybe an idea for the site would be to submit questions with the users username/password/email address ripped from their cookie?

Right now we do rip the username, but when it sends an email using the form, we'd have to go into the forums, look up the username, get the email address, then paste that into our response. Too time consuming. And even if we could rip the email address, I never would - that's a severe privacy violation in my eyes. People should always be given the choice of whether or not to provide their email address - I'm simply saying that if they want a response, we need an email address to respond do. That's all. :-)

Janak Parekh
09-14-2003, 11:02 PM
Is there anything that you all WON'T discuss ad nasuem?? :lol: Look, this is a non-issue: all I was saying was that if someone emails me asking me a question, and they want a response, they should include a valid return email address, or I can't get back to them. It's very simple.
Well, we had already finished our discussion, but you had to jump in afterwards. :razzing:

--janak

Jason Dunn
09-14-2003, 11:22 PM
Well, we had already finished our discussion, but
you had to jump in afterwards. :razzing:

But the fact that you even had the discussion simply amazes me. :lol:

easylife
09-14-2003, 11:31 PM
Right now we do rip the username, but when it sends an email using the form, we'd have to go into the forums, look up the username, get the email address, then paste that into our response. Too time consuming. And even if we could rip the email address, I never would - that's a severe privacy violation in my eyes. People should always be given the choice of whether or not to provide their email address - I'm simply saying that if they want a response, we need an email address to respond do. That's all. :-)
Perhaps Fabrizio could work a little of his magic... :wink: Seriously, your user ID in your cookie is tied (in the database) to your username and email address... so it can be done! :D

Jason Dunn
09-14-2003, 11:58 PM
Perhaps Fabrizio could work a little of his magic... :wink: Seriously, your user ID in your cookie is tied (in the database) to your username and email address... so it can be done! :D

Perhaps I need to make this bigger so you can see it:

And even if we could rip the email address, I never would - that's a severe privacy violation in my eyes.

:roll:

maximus
09-15-2003, 01:39 AM

[Writing email to Kathleen, forwarding the URL of this thread]
Dear, promise me that we won't be like these two when we got married
[Hit SEND]

:mrgreen:

scargill
09-15-2003, 02:07 AM
And even if we could rip the email address, I never would - that's a severe privacy violation in my eyes.

If its only used for response to the query then I wouldn't see it that way.
But I REALLY do appreciate how you do think of our privacy and security of our e-mail addresses and user information. Its rare to see a site doing that!

Janak Parekh
09-15-2003, 02:25 AM
If its only used for response to the query then I wouldn't see it that way.
Here's the thing, though: we don't normally look at members' addresses. We can look them up in the database, but it's a hassle. By auto-looking it up when a news submission is posted, we make it more difficult for people to submit anonymously and we start making associations. Why bother? It's better for members if we don't and give them the option... so long as they use that option wisely. ;) We don't want to give people the impression we're "looking up" individual email addresses.

[Hit SEND]
Hah! You're screwed. Just don't get married and you'll be OK. ;)

--janak

Kati Compton
09-15-2003, 03:07 AM
[Hit SEND]

Well, my husband isn't on this forum, so you don't even know what my marital conversations are like. :razzing: