View Full Version : Can't turn on without soft reset

Sven Johannsen
09-14-2003, 12:23 AM
There seems to be some definite issue with either the new WM2003, or the iPaq or the HP2215. Not sure which, though I think it is wider than the 2215.

The issue is the inability to turn the device on without doing a soft reset. I have been playing with this to see if I could find a reproducible sequence that causes the problem. I think I have...for me. I am wondering if it can be reproduced by others.

The initial common action is syncing the device via USB. (I'm using AS 3.7 BTW). Once I do this, if I remove the PPC from the cradle while it is on, I will need to soft reset it to get it to power on again, after I turn it off. After that initial soft reset it turns on and off fine until I again cradle and sync. This is fairly repeatable. It is not an every-time occurrence though.

If I turn the 2215 off while in the cradle and connected, first, AS on the desktop doesn't seem to recognize that the PPC is no longer connected for quite some time. (AS still shows connected for a minute or so). When I remove the PPC from the cradle, I get the USB device removed sound, AS still shows connected on the desktop, and the PPC still seems to think it is cradled. My charge light still blinks even though the 2215 is off the cradle. I can't turn the thing back on without a soft reset. Doing this, shutting the PPC off while connected via AS, not only causes the 'can't turn on problem', but often also results in a 'USB device not recognized" bubble when I put the 2215 back on the cradle. I have to shutdown and restart the PC to clear this up. This is fairly repeatable as well.

Now, if I have the PPC on the cradle, AS connected, but STOP AS from the Active Sync application on the PPC, before I remove the PPC from the cradle or shut the power off, I have no turn on issues or device recognition issues. This is completely consistent. If I turn off AS, before uncradling, I have no issues.

I also note that if I sync via BT, and leave AS connected, I can shut the PPC off while the AS connection is active and not produce the "can't turn on without soft reset issue." Does seem this problem is AS over USB dependent.

As an additional point, if my Dell Axim is cradled and AS has it connected, I can stick my 2215 on the cradle, pull it off, turn it off while on the cradle, whatever, and never have a power on problem. AS of course, never connects to the 2215 since it is tied up by the Dell. Again pointing to an AS dependency.

The Dell, BTW, a PPC2002 device, does not experience either of the behaviors noted above for the 2215. This seems to lead to an AS and WM2003 problem.

So, I don't know if it is a 2215, or iPaq, or WM2003 issue, but I have seen won't power on without soft reset problems crop up reasonably often here, and other places.

I'd be interested in knowing if they follow my experiences and if it is on 2215s, ipaqs, or WM2003 in general. Especially if stopping AS, before uncradling seems to prevent it.

Sorry about the length here, but I'm trying to see if there is some Constancy that can be established to present to the right folks.