View Full Version : 5450 WLAN Program Settings disappear after WM2003 upgrade?

lanwarrior
09-13-2003, 08:10 PM
Hi All,

I just upgraded my 5450 to WM2003 and there was no real issue. Everything run just fine. However, I no longer see the iPAQ WLAN Settings icon (looks like a GREEN FAN that sits on the bottom right on the screen). Neither do I see this in "Program" folder.

Without this, I can NO longer set up my WLAN settings, such as the WEP, SSID, etc.

I downloaded the hP iPAQ WLAN Firmware update and WLAN Driver update, but the same thing happened.

On ht e WLAN Firmware update, a box pop-up saying that the ROM is for PPC2002 with ROM 1.11. But the website says it work for 2002 or 2003.

So where is the WLAN Settings program?

Chris Spera
09-13-2003, 08:21 PM
ok... this is a bit of a paradigm change that you'll need to get past.

Setting up your WLAN in WM 2003 is a bit different. The zero configuration concept takes care of most of the issues. When you turn on your WLAN card in the 5455, you're going to see a Notification bubble pop up telling you that if found an access point. There's a blue, underlined word in the lower left corner of the bubble called "Settings."

Tap on it. It will open the settings dialogs for you, and you'll be able to set up your WLAN. After that, you won't need to mess with the settings.

The upside is that once configured, you're ready to go. If you ever want to connect to a different WLAN, one that isn't already configured, then the bubble will appear again. You won't need to tell the PPC to connect to a different, previously configured WLAN (if you have more than one configured), it SHOULD just connect once it senses it.

The down side is that you can't check your signal strength, and I don't like that. With this new paradigm, you on or your not on...

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

lanwarrior
09-13-2003, 08:39 PM
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the explanation!! Now I got it. It took me a while to setup it though. Reason is when I turn on the WLAN, the WLAN light didn't turn on. So I had to take out the battery, put it back, reset, then it work. At this point, the icon you mentioned shows up. THis is the "antenna" icon with a circle on top.

Once I configured the WLAN, then for some reason I had to reset my iPAQ again. But after this, I can connect to my Home WLAN just fine.

Once connected, the Doubel Arrows icon now shows that I am connected. There is a "bar" next to the "Wireless Card", but I don't think this is the signal strength icon, as it never change.

Do I need to run the WLAN Firmware Update (date 31 Jul 03)?

Andrew
10-08-2003, 09:30 AM
I put the firmware update on as without i was having a problem connecting to some networks. As I mentioned in another post though it installs to RAM and not ROM.
Otherwise once the ipaq is connected to a network, if you tap the 'two arrows' a bubble pops up and there is listed the network name and I believe the signal strength indicator.

On that note though I have to admit that I miss not having the icon in the corner as before and the settings etc, so Im currently trying pocket Winc from cirond, and so far Im happy. Unless I find a better alternative Ill probably end up buying it.

Regards

Andrew

Dave Beauvais
10-08-2003, 06:54 PM
I put the firmware update on as without i was having a problem connecting to some networks. As I mentioned in another post though it installs to RAM and not ROM. ...
Well, technically speaking, it's a driver update, not a firmware update. Firmware updates by nature are ROM updates, while driver updates could be either ROM- or RAM-based.

--Dave

Andrew
10-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Exactly my point, but in their post and on their site, they have a firmware update and a driver update. So if it says firmware I imagined it would go into ROM. If it really is just a driver, then why not call it a driver as they did with the other file?