View Full Version : 2003 upgrade for the e755

bigneeker
09-13-2003, 01:23 AM
hey
i have been out of the country for a while and havent been updating my ppc knowledge so i would like to know if there is an upgrade for the toshiba e750/755 to make into a windows mobile 2003 ppc. if there is then is it easy to install and are there any bad side effects?

thanks

yvilla
09-13-2003, 04:55 AM
Yes, there is. Depending on when you originally bought your PPC, it will cost you either $16.00 or $50.00. The good news is that once I puzzled out the initially confusing instructions, the upgrade went without a hitch.

You should be able to find the details of obtaining it from Toshiba's U.S. site.

prismejon
09-14-2003, 10:38 AM
yvilla, is it possible to change back to PocketPC 2002 with the upgrade cd? I know it is with the ipaq upgrade cd.

yvilla
09-15-2003, 03:45 AM
yvilla, is it possible to change back to PocketPC 2002 with the upgrade cd? I know it is with the ipaq upgrade cd.

I don't know the answer to that for sure. I did read a post from someone else saying it was not possible. Can't remember where for sure, but probably on Brighthand.

cooldw57
10-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Upgradding OS is a bit diffferent than installing an application, just imagine install Windows XP from W2K, then uninstall it and get back to Windows 2000 .
If data lost is not a problem for you, I think it's quite possible to flash out the ROM and install a clean PPC2002 or so, that you'll have to contact Toshiba

Kati Compton
10-16-2003, 10:04 PM
I don't think that I've heard of anyone going back to a previous OS after an upgrade. Though mostly I think that's because they don't *want* to. But whether or not it's possible? I would doubt it, but I can't back that statement up with anything at the moment.

kevinkar
10-20-2003, 06:23 PM
:cry: No, it's not an "excellent" idea to move to Windows Mobile 2003 as several programs I have for Pocket PC 2002 fail to work properly after the upgrade.

Resco File Explorer worked but had several quirks that they took a few months to finally solve. Sim City 2000 for Pocket PC no longer works. There are others. Also, the enhancements to the OS make the device a bit snappier but overall, none of the upgrades seem to have been worth the losses.

Unfortunately, the CD (directly from Microsoft) did not have a ROM backup utility to create a Pocket PC 2002 image. Even if I used a shareware tool to create one, it only created a single image whereas the Toshiba upgrade utility requried two separate files to complete the task so even if I had been able to save an image, it's doubtful I could have restored it.

My opinion is that the $16 I paid was not worth the effort and I immediately found myself wishing I had not done it. Especially because the enhancements to the Wi-Fi interface didn't help much at all and are still esoteric and difficult to configure.

If I were you, I would not waste your time on the upgrade.

Kevin