View Full Version : Cursed by BellDitty

Jon Westfall
09-11-2003, 07:40 PM
Ok, I'm hoping someone may have some idea why this error is plaguing me.

After a hard-reset, the following behavior is observed on the T-mobile Pocket PC (Using the most current ROM update from t-mobile.com).

1. Set Ringer (or leave at default) to anything.
2. Hit Ok.
3. Change volume to either Off or Vibrate.
4. Go back to phone options - ringer is now set to "BellDitty".

Odd thing is that when volume is restored, the phone doesn't play anything when an incomming call is received - not even the listed "BellDitty".

Anyone know what the problem is? How to work around it?

Hope you guys can help - a phone that fails to ring is a misbehaving in my book.

Thanks.

Jon Westfall
09-12-2003, 02:23 AM
After doing some hunting around the registry, here is what I found. If you guys have some spare time, try doing this to your phones and see if you have the same oddball results. From what I found:

When the Pocket PC is put into Mute, a key in the registry (HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\RingTone0) named Sound is set to *none* or *vibrate* depending on what you mute to. There is another key in that branch named “SavedSound”, which has the ringer you setup in Phone options. Now, as long as you don’t go into Phone options and hit “Ok” while the phone is muted, the registry keys work just fine – as soon as you unmute, the value of “Sound” gets set to whatever “SavedSound” is. HOWEVER – if you do go into phone options and hit OK, it confuses PPC 2002. It writes the new sound to the “Sound” key, however it never cleans up after itself in the same way it would if you unmated. Now when you unmute, it looks to the Sound key to see if it says *none* or *vibrate* so it knows to re-enable the ringtone. When it finds the saved value from the phone applet (that you hit “OK” to) it assumes that the phone was unmated, even though it wasn’t.