View Full Version : Toshiba e405 Preorder for $299

Ed Hansberry
09-11-2003, 01:30 PM
<a href="http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1639&Product_Id=3724558">http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1639&Product_Id=3724558</a><br /><br />There are no images, but here are the specs: <br /><br />• Intel Xscale PXA261 at 300MHz <br />• 64MB RAM, 16MB ROM & 32MB NAND <br />• Backlight Fluorescent Lamp <br />• 1 SDIO (Secure Digital) Card Slot <br />• IrDa Infrared Port (115Kbps) <br />• Built-in 980mAh Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery <br />• Dimensions: 4.9" x 3.0" x 0.4"; weighs 5.1 oz.<br />• Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC<br /><br />To put the dimensions in perspective, the HP iPAQ 1935 is 4.46" x 2.75" x0.5" in and 4.37 oz., so the e405 is a bit larger. J & R has it listing for $299. No release date or expected ship date is given.

rlobrecht
09-11-2003, 02:00 PM
And changes are, it will never run Windows Mobile 2004 (or whatever MS calls the next version.)

Bob Anderson
09-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Yeah, there's the one spec you left out Ed:

Spotty, at best, upgrade options provided by Toshiba!

Let's not fool any readers on this site; Toshiba has taken some pretty "customer unfriendly" attitudes with their upgrade policies and we, being concerned PDA users don't want anyone getting into something they may regret later.

I have no personal "beef" against Toshiba (I don't own any of their devices), however I do believe in telling it like it is.

Foo Fighter
09-11-2003, 02:11 PM
Hmm.. this one seems to have slipped under our radar. I have heard no rumors of a new Toshiba PPC coming soon. Wonder if Toshiba will finally adopt a new design? 8O

But no matter how well designed this product might be, I don't feel comfortable purchasing Toshiba's mobile products. Not when the company refuses to support its products. :roll:

Foo Fighter
09-11-2003, 02:14 PM
• Backlight Fluorescent Lamp

Oh dear god! That sounds like a reflective display. What on Earth is Toshiba still using this archaic display technology for when the entire PDA industry (including PalmOne) has moved on to BETTER technologies. :roll:

kagayaki1
09-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Wow, the animosity towards Toshiba is intense. I wouldn't want to be their customer relations department.

Ed Hansberry
09-11-2003, 02:26 PM
Yeah, there's the one spec you left out Ed:

Spotty, at best, upgrade options provided by Toshiba!
Yup. How could I have forgotten about that one? :? :soapbox:

corphack
09-11-2003, 03:25 PM
Can't understand why anyone would consider a Toshiba PDA anymore.

Announcments of new "products" from Toshiba are simply spam and should be viewed in the same category as the emails offering "3 more inches": just more B.S.

foldedspace
09-11-2003, 03:28 PM
The sad truth is, Toshiba has released a lot of good products. But you know something is up when you ask the guy at the Tosh booth at the computer show about some new cool device and he's clueless. And then you can't find any info on whatever it is on their website. Good products, poor promotion and support.

kiwi
09-11-2003, 03:38 PM
If we really wanted to, wouldnt we find pics on the FCC website? Dont they have information new devices?

To add to the collective, I saw a E330 on sale here (Canada) for about $CA300. I looked at it and though, nice price.. but its in the same category as the Sony Clies for me - upgadable BUT not supported by the manufacturer. Its interesting how many SONY clies come out in a short period of time.. and how quickly they get replaced with newer models..

b

SandersP
09-11-2003, 04:03 PM
Toshiba might as well start selling that thing at $199 close out sale. Who cares about Toshiba?

It won't be upgradable, and Dell is going to sell it cheaper for same spec.

Lotto
09-11-2003, 04:06 PM
That site J&R lists the operating system at the bottom of the page as Palm OS, not sure I'd trust the info given there.

caywen
09-11-2003, 04:09 PM
The 1945 is the same price and it has Bluetooth.

This seems like a "Damn, HP beat us before we even launched our product but we still have to clear our inventory" sort of release.

huangzhinong
09-11-2003, 04:56 PM
This model competitor is ipaq h1930($199), not a real good game here.

David Prahl
09-11-2003, 05:17 PM
If we really wanted to, wouldnt we find pics on the FCC website? Dont they have information new devices?

Usually people scrounge up pics of devices with wireless. Even though "Part 15" applies to any device, wireless takes a lot more certification apparently.

Just checked: The dimensions are almost identical to the e310/e330.

e330: 4.9" x 3.1" x 0.4"

e405: 4.9" x 3.0" x 0.4"

"Next!" :lol:

jornadaholic
09-11-2003, 05:50 PM
actually if you pre-order it its only $279.88 and do we really need a pic of it we already know what its gonna look like a nice shiney brick

GO-TRIBE
09-11-2003, 05:51 PM
Why does Toshiba even bother anymore? I think they're done.

Christian
09-11-2003, 06:10 PM
I agree with everyone here that Toshiba shouldn't even bother anymore. Frankly, I was so disappointed by the horrendous quality of my e740 and my friend's e310, as well as the equally horrendous support, that I dismissed any future devices of theirs even before the whole upgrade scandal. One big sad story. :cry:

wrightca
09-11-2003, 06:39 PM
One more:

I'm not buying it, or anything else Toshiba for that matter. I have a 740 now, and I've had too much trouble. I'd switch back to my iPaq 3600 if the wife wouldn't beat me down and take it back.

gohtor
09-11-2003, 06:51 PM
yup compared to 1930/1940 it's a no brainer.

they'll likely either lower their price target or just commit this to the recycle bin.

They had much praise when they released the wifi integrated pda. now it seems that they aren't trying to go cutting edge.

I still like their laptops though =).

invaders
09-11-2003, 07:01 PM
another new Toshiba PPC?
http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1639&Product_Id=3724560#productspecs

dh
09-11-2003, 07:17 PM
another new Toshiba PPC?
http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1639&Product_Id=3724560#productspecs
Interesting thing, twice the J&R page mentions a 300MHz processor. Surely this is a typo. Who would make a PPC with all the other features but a slower processor?

flux2k
09-11-2003, 09:31 PM
I'll give them $69 for it. :D

sponge
09-11-2003, 09:59 PM
So now that people know Toshiba probably won't release upgrades for first generation XScale devices, people are avoiding them completly? What if you don't really mind about some new OS? Like the e350 I believe it is, damn cheap, and WM2003? (Though I'm hoping no one's expecting a full upgrade for that when the time comes)

ctmagnus
09-11-2003, 10:06 PM
Why does Toshiba even bother anymore? I think they're done.

As long as people buy Palms, people will buy Toshiba PPCs. Not everyone is as intelligent and cool as we are here. ;)

Skoobouy
09-11-2003, 11:29 PM
• Backlight Fluorescent Lamp

Oh dear god! That sounds like a reflective display. What on Earth is Toshiba still using this archaic display technology for when the entire PDA industry (including PalmOne) has moved on to BETTER technologies. :roll:

Foo, the e350 has a beautiful BACKLIT display, so I'm sure this one will too.

The last time you despaired about the Toshiba e350 having a sidelit display, about three people, myself included, posted links to reviews proving it had a backlit screen.

So, I repeat, Toshiba is using backlit displays, and has been since the e350.

azhiker
09-11-2003, 11:46 PM
Sheez! :roll: So many commenting on this thread are so upset with Toshiba but also spend so much time bashing them. If you have given up on the company, then stop complaining and taking up space on these threads and MOVER ON!!!

The only reason I am now into the PocketPC seen is because Toshiba had a good deal on the E310 a year ago. Of course it was obsolete one month after I bought it. But so is every laptop/notebook/cell phone/tv/car/stereo etc. I have purchased - and soon after I get whatever product. The more important question is - will if function as designed, and keep doing so? For me the answer is still YES. And it only cost me $250! I care squat about upgrading the E310, its entry level.

I understand the need to have full support, but when my E310 needed work, it was returned in top shape just 3 days later. When the 2002 CE was updated, I did use the Compag upgrade and it has worked fine. Everything works as it should. I expect to get at least another year out of it. By then the very products you all are so rabid about right now will also be gone or in your desk drawers - and even if you could upgrade them, you will probably buy something new.

Therefore I can't complain and wonder why all of you insist on doing so. The products work, and for me, work well. That's all I am concerned about and all they pledged to do. :mrgreen:

apeguero
09-11-2003, 11:59 PM
And changes are, it will never run Windows Mobile 2004 (or whatever MS calls the next version.)

Exactly the reason why I decided to go with HP iPaq after I got rid of my Genio 550g. :2gunfire: I'm never touching another Toshiba again.

Tengoku
09-12-2003, 12:12 AM
Both links to specs are down now.

e405 and e805 are still visible in PDAs list from J & R.

spursdude
09-12-2003, 12:30 AM
Sheez! :roll: So many commenting on this thread are so upset with Toshiba but also spend so much time bashing them. If you have given up on the company, then stop complaining and taking up space on these threads and MOVER ON!!!
Just as much as you have the right to praise Toshiba, other people have the right to berate it. Maybe upgradeability isn't a concern for you, and it isn't for me either, but it is a concern for a lot of people.

I for one really like Toshiba's products - I think the designs (if a little boxy) and features are usually great. But I think Toshiba really should provide updates if they want to continue to keep up sales.

I also think that people should realize that the fact that a newer operating system exists doesn't mean that their current operating system is obsolete or useless. If it worked when you bought it, it should still work just the same. If you were happy with it when you bought it, why can't you be happy with it now?

Of course, if you factored upgradeability into your purchase, then you've got a reason to gripe.

corphack
09-12-2003, 03:09 AM
The only thing wrong with the E740, etc. was its manufacturer. I would buy the 755 in a heartbeat (except that I already got an iPaq 5455...) if someone other than Toshiba made (OEM'ing it doesn't count), distributed, and supported it.

Following my experiences with my E740, I have no interest in anything associated with Toshiba, regardless of the difference in price (hence my 5455 purchase).