View Full Version : Opie (Linux) Reaches Version 1.0

Andy Sjostrom
09-11-2003, 10:11 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://opie.handhelds.org/gallery/' target='_blank'>http://opie.handhelds.org/gallery/</a><br /><br /></div>Opie (Open Palmtop Integrated Environment) is a graphical user environment for PDAs running Linux. The foundation of Opie origins from <a href="http://www.trolltech.com/products/qtopia/index.html">Trolltech's Qtopia</a>, but on an open source process Opie is continually and separately updated. Version 1.0 was reached a few days ago. The goals of Opie are, according to their web site:<br />"• Compatibility on all existing platforms <br />• Binary compatibility of applications and to all official Qtopia releases <br />• Data synchronization with Desktop PIM systems, such as KDE <br />• Open and free development on a public CVS <br />• OSI certified Open Source project <br />• Development of professional applications"<br /><br />I have played around with an iPAQ 3660 flashed with Opie 1.0. Taking my developer hat on and given circumstances I think the developers have done a good job. Taking my user hat on, I think Opie is... version 1.0. Shaky, inconsistent user interface, and quite sluggish. However, already with version 1.0 Opie catches up and passes Palm in what it offers from out of the box. And they got a real close button. Follow the link to see the many available screen shots.

Oleander
09-11-2003, 11:39 AM
Have you tried the GPE GUI as well?

It would be interesting to know if the sluggishness comes from the GUI or from familiar.

juni
09-11-2003, 12:11 PM
That's funny :). I found Opie more stable and quicker than PPC ever was on my old Ipaq.

TopDog
09-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Interesting, I'm looking at replacing my "old" Axim, and running some kind of Linux on that would be really cool...

Does anyone know if that is possible, or if it soon will be?

Jimmy Dodd
09-11-2003, 01:29 PM
Every so often I look into putting an old PPC to use as a Linux machine, but all I ever see are distributions for old iPAQs. After a recent sell-off of hardware my only spare is a Viewsonic V37. I don't know if that is feasible for running Linux or not - I can't find any info beyond iPAQs, and I'm not about to flash Linux onto my beloved h2215. :ppclove:

townsendtribe
09-11-2003, 05:11 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any information about a round trip? Being able to back up your current ROM, try the linux, and be able to return if you didn't like it.

royisher
09-11-2003, 05:21 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any information about a round trip? Being able to back up your current ROM, try the linux, and be able to return if you didn't like it.

Same questions here.

mobileMike
09-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Hi,

Couple of items....

1) Small detail, Opie 1.0 was released Aug. 4

2) Round trip works. I have not done it on my own iPAQ, but a friend loaned me his iPAQ 3850 and I was able to backup the ROM and bootloader, install new bootloader and Linux, and then return the system to the original configuration. Personally, I still have Linux on my iPAQ 3850.

You can also run Linux off a CF card (I have not done this though).

3) Software-wise there is limited choice, but a lot of the software for the Zaurus will run under Opie.

http://killefiz.de/zaurus/

4a) OS is more stable. I hardly ever reset the iPAQ.

As some of you know the iPAQ 3800 had a backlight issue (periodically would not come on unless you played with the light settings), but this disappeared when I switched to Linux.

4b) More inovation, even if less polished.

Built-in screen rotation
Tabbed browsing
Zoom support in browser
Multi-user
Software management
Built-in Bluetooth support

4c) More customizable
write your own scripts

set the % of remaining power when you want to be notiifed

initiating a GPRS connection over bluetooth is two times faster than with PocketPC

I also like having control of what is installed and what is not. It was amazing how much ROM was left after I had Linux and Opie installed. 14MB ROM/32 MB RAM

----------------------------

Above, I mix features which are offered by Linux and Opie (GUI)

Personally, I think PocketPC is more user friendly, but if you can do without some feature only offered by a 3rd party for PocketPC then maybe Opie is enough. If you need to do more than is possible with PocketPC you should give Linux a try. Finally, if you have a old/spare iPAQ then why not give it a try.

I have articles about some of my experiences on my site: http://www.connecteduser.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=59

amigean
09-11-2003, 07:22 PM
I installed OPIE 1.0 on my Ipaq3850 the first day it was out. (I even pointed out to them that they had the wrong version uploaded on their servers)

I have to admit the installation process was not easy - as I opted for a serial connection installation (involving messing about with hyperterminal - yes it STILL comes with windows!). The instructions provided on the handhelds.org website are quite helpful but do not expect a wizard-like installer.

You have to backup the Ipaq's bootloader as well as its ROM (with PPC in it). Unfortunately if you want to keep your current PPC install (all your apps, contacts etc) intact you'll have to opt for some third-party backup app. as it only provides a backup of the actual OS.
Over a serial connection (the usb option is not implemented yet) a backup of the ipaq's rom takes a bit more than 25 minutes. Be sure to make (a few) backups of theses files - otherwise, as they warn you, if you ever want to return to PPC you'll have to send your ipaq over to 'compaq' 8O (that's not very comforting, provided compaq does not exist!)

Installation took well over 40 minutes...which included copying linux and flashing the rom. Needless to say - if something goes wrong during this process kiss yout Ipaq goodbye... :?

OPIE's general response was really good- at least just as good as PPC2k2 - it's looks are not bad either. I found that on my 3850 it had somewhat slow response on hardware button presses (e.g. the on-off button would have a 1/2 a second lag between pressing it and something happening)

The overall apps package suffices for basic use (the bundled solitaire is wayyy better than the PPC one :D ) - and its compatibility with the Sharp Zaurus software base (albeit limited) sounds promising. For instance, Konqueror is one of the best pda internet browsers I've seen and Zaurus people have enjoyed something us in the PPC camp have long waited (and falsely promised tens of times) : a native version of Civilization :lol: in the form of FreeCiv (that was enough to convince me for a switch)
Ever wanted to flip your screen to landscape in your ipaq without soft-reset? It's a standard feature in OPIE and a very useful one.

On the downside the PIM applications are basic....very basic -to put in another way I wouldn't trust them with any appointments... Altough it never crashed in the 5 days I was playing with it (PPC 2002 would have a much worse record in the same period) it does give you the impression of a half-baked OS. There's something missing here and there (like proper syncing-you'll miss activesux) that just do not justify a permanent migration to linux (yet). Altough it had been stable on my pda, other people have provided conflicting accounts - so do not take its stability for granted.

Inevitably, you would want to return to your beloved PPC - the return trip takes about 40 mins as well and is just as dangerous (my desktop chose to crash 2 secs after the ROM flashing 8O -talk about getting a heart attack). Thankfully it went through smoothly and I now have PPC 2k2 up and running again without any problems. Initially I chose the keep the linux bootloader so i'd see Tux's pretty figure instead of the ugly Compaq logo - and although it worked for a while - I found it caused problems with syncing (it was erratic).

Overally it was a good a experience: if you're looking for some quality time with your 38xx ipaq on anticipation of PPC2k3 there's nothing better than trying out OPIE - the best feeeling about it is that it makes you think you're doing something you shouldn't be doing....it feels special! :-)

qmrq
09-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Compaq Research will repair 'bricked' iPAQs, free of charge. You don't have to worry about 'kissing your iPAQ goodbye' as one person said. ;)

sfjlittel
09-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Be sure to make (a few) backups of theses files - otherwise, as they warn you, if you ever want to return to PPC you'll have to send your ipaq over to 'compaq' 8O (that's not very comforting, provided compaq does not exist!)

Installation took well over 40 minutes...which included copying linux and flashing the rom. Needless to say - if something goes wrong during this process kiss yout Ipaq goodbye... :?

>You should not have to worry to much: The iPaq does boot without bootloader and with WindowsCE installed. Once you have the bootloader installed you can safely install a jffs partition. The most risky part is when you upload the bootloader without windows installed.

If your ipaq is bricked you can always contact Jamey. He will guide you.

amigean
09-11-2003, 09:39 PM
you are right guys - the handhelds.org website states everywhere that compaq people will fix bricked ipaqs for you free of charge - perhaps I went a bit too far with the 'kiss your ipaq goodbye' phrase :oops:

However, since Compaq is now part of HP (that promise appeared on the handhelds.org website almost two years ago), and I have heard no news of any renewed interest from HP on ipaq linux - am I to suppose that the Compaq Linux team is still there with the same intentions (and funding to fulfil them)? The truth is I don't know - the same heroes may still be there and offering the same service - I just don't want to base my hopes on a promise made by a company that does not exist anymore.

The risk of 'bricking' your ipaq exists (i would assume) even for PPC upgrades. Even though the chances of something going wrong are low - the risk of some inconvenience is still there, and the long time the serial connection causes the whole process to take only increases the chances of Murphy's law making its point.

At the end of the day the whole linux on the ipaq idea though is intriguing and well worth any (small) risk involved. Familiar and Opie developers have done a magnificent job and I'm eager to see more of that.

sponge
09-11-2003, 09:40 PM
Once the OHH bootloader is on your iPaq, your basically safe. You can use BootBlaster (which flashes the bootloader, and tells you if its valid, so more safety there) to backup the ROM to a file and transfer it over ActiveSync. Backup with your favorite program, and voila, nothing lost.

As for the installation process, while the most common is through the serial, which takes 30minutes or so, you should be able to copy over a compressed rom image to your CF card and use that. It makes a niec project for a boring day.

ctmagnus
09-11-2003, 10:01 PM
As for the installation process, while the most common is through the serial, which takes 30minutes or so, you should be able to copy over a compressed rom image to your CF card and use that. It makes a niec project for a boring day.

I went that route.

But I inevitably returned to Pocket PC 2002 on my 3670, as the end-user experience just isn't there yet with Linux. Especially if you have data on your (Windows) desktop that you rely on, on a daily basis.

qmrq
09-11-2003, 10:08 PM
you are right guys - the handhelds.org website states everywhere that compaq people will fix bricked ipaqs for you free of charge - perhaps I went a bit too far with the 'kiss your ipaq goodbye' phrase :oops:

However, since Compaq is now part of HP (that promise appeared on the handhelds.org website almost two years ago), and I have heard no news of any renewed interest from HP on ipaq linux - am I to suppose that the Compaq Linux team is still there with the same intentions (and funding to fulfil them)? The truth is I don't know - the same heroes may still be there and offering the same service - I just don't want to base my hopes on a promise made by a company that does not exist anymore.
Compaq Research is still repairing bricked units, free of charge. Ask anyone on #familiar. 8)

juni
09-12-2003, 07:05 AM
I kind of like the user interface:

http://www.wincustomize.com/download.asp?LibID=13&file=juniopie.jpg&SkinID=2705

:)

nGage
09-17-2003, 06:06 AM
I installed this Familiar / Opie release on my old 3600 and got all working very easily including network via usb-eth. I really like what I see, but I am having a bugger of a time trying to get the stowaway keyboard to work. Doesn't give me a good feeling about the likelyhood of getting my bluetooth expansion pack working under Familiar/Opie.

Any help here from a more linux literate idividual would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

rave
11-17-2003, 04:43 AM
nGage: Enabling a piece of hardware usually goes like: "modprobe &lt;kernel-module-of-your-hardware>". Try to see if the module for your keyboard is installed. In any case, you can always consult the mailing lists.

Opie does have a killer UI. It has both a Palm-style tabbed launcher and a CE-style start menu. It has a system tray that's visible all the time. It has alpha-blended PNG icons which you can easily customize to your heart's content. What made me come back to PPC, though, was the weak input methods. The onscreen keyboard feels less sensitive and the handwriting recognition is inferior to that of PPC. It makes me feel as if the recognition algorithm is purely bitmap-based, instead of the more reliable vector-based recognition.

The VERY limited software selection does not help either. And if you want to play games, good luck to you. Most of the games out there assume that you have a Zaurus with a thumb keyboard, and different games prefer different versions of libSDL.