View Full Version : Wifi and storage for the 2215

bigbadboss101
09-11-2003, 08:11 AM
Got my 2215 today, now I am looking for WiFi and may be memory. SanDisk make both the CF and SD wireless. Would either work for this PPC? I found Ambicom on the net but none of them deliver to Canada. Does it matter if I go CF or SD for memory and wifi?

theone3
09-11-2003, 11:11 AM
go with the CF for wifi and SD for Memory.

There is no real difference, but that would be the cheapest config, unless you want >1GB storage.

Mark_Venture
09-14-2003, 06:36 AM
I went with SD for memory and CF for WiFi only because when I got my 2215 I could find a CF WiFi card, and couldn't find an SDIO one.

My CF memory card (SanDisk 256meg Ultra from my digital camera) does seem slightly faster than the SD memory card (SanDisk 256Meg) I have. Not sure exactly why.

But for normal day to day stuff, storing text, programs, pictures, mp3s, and the occasional video clip, the SD memory is fast enough.

CF WiFi cards are cheaper than the SanDisk SD WiFi card I've seen.

One thing I'd be concerned with is how much the SD WiFi card sticks out compaired to the CF version... physical size of SD is smaller than CF.. if the same amount must be outside of the unit, the SD card might be easier to break off by accident.

cab124
09-14-2003, 02:51 PM
I just picked up a Sandisk 512 MB SD card for $159, and a Linksys CF wifi card for $79. I hope this is the way to go!

Sven Johannsen
09-14-2003, 04:10 PM
Done is done, but I suppose it is going to be a matter of what else you want to do. There are a lot of SDIO peripherals that have popped up lately, but there is still more stuff like that in CF and it is still cheaper (small comes at a premium).

I went with the SD memory, but I have CF camera, gps, serial card, etc. so leaving the CF slot for peripherals was important to me. If I didn't have those things I might feel differently. Might do CF memory, BT GPS (actually have one of those and it is great), SDIO camera and WiFi.

Think about it for a bit before you get yourself too locked to the solution you started with.

jgahr
09-14-2003, 04:25 PM
I did as Sven did, but just changed this week. I too have a lot of CF toys, so I switched back to CF memory (just like my Jornada) and SD WiFi. I had actually been missing using my CF card since the slot was tied up. Since you have already made your move, just wait until the next time you get the urge to migrate.
:mrgreen: