View Full Version : Something to make you go Hmmmm

townsendtribe
09-10-2003, 11:08 PM
I remember when I had my old iPAQ, how pleased I was because of the incredible design, and the fact that it was expandable through the Expansion pack. Throughout the entire 3xxx and 5xxx series designs, it looks as though they have kept that expandable interface alive. But lately, I see that they are abandoning that line of thinking and going from the "Super Bulk" to the "Super Small".

Anyone feel like discussing this?

nosmohtac
09-11-2003, 01:42 AM
I don't know if it's a trend from super bulk to super small as much as broadening your market share. I really like the 2215, and (although I would never buy one) the 19xx series is an incredible device for the size. I think these 2 lines are a major attempt to draw people over 2 PPC from Palm.
Many people would say that my 3970 is a brick, but I love the larger screen, and the expansion options available to me (even if I don't take advantage of all of them).

JustinGTP
09-11-2003, 01:55 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

cslaughtermd
09-11-2003, 02:57 AM
I agree that ppc vendors need to compete with palm sizewise, mostly for the PDA newbie looking for a slick, small and cheap device. I loved the expandability if my 3650, 3750, and now 3850 (broke one, lost one due to a faulty clip) but when I eventually get the 2215 or next best thing, I'll have all the expandability I need in a smaller package. Newer, smaller tech, fitting more in a smaller package - with the sdio slot, cf, and replaceable battery, the only thing you miss is pcmcia (possible with an adapter anyway). I do agree that the screen can't shrink anymore - I had a hard enough time adjusting from the fantastically-sized Newton screen to the ipaq!

Stephen Beesley
09-11-2003, 09:17 AM
I agree that ppc vendors need to compete with palm sizewise, mostly for the PDA newbie looking for a slick, small and cheap device. I loved the expandability if my 3650, 3750, and now 3850 (broke one, lost one due to a faulty clip) but when I eventually get the 2215 or next best thing, I'll have all the expandability I need in a smaller package. Newer, smaller tech, fitting more in a smaller package - with the sdio slot, cf, and replaceable battery, the only thing you miss is pcmcia (possible with an adapter anyway). I do agree that the screen can't shrink anymore - I had a hard enough time adjusting from the fantastically-sized Newton screen to the ipaq!

Love your Avatar - very cool!

I think that the size of the 2215 (or of the old Jornada) is small enough for me. Now if they could fit the bigger 3.8 inch screen of the older Ipaqs (and the 54xx, 55xx series of course) into that size I would be really
happy!

Goldtee

rzanology
09-11-2003, 01:00 PM
Size doesn't really matter for me...I loved the 3970 up to the day i got rid of it...but one of the draw backs for me was having to walk around with the expansion pack plus on my waste. While using it i loved it...but when it came time to put it back on my waste and get moving...i hated it!!! but the 2215 really caught my eye because it had both compact flash and the cd slot...I think the door is still open to almost all expansions out there.

famousdavis
09-11-2003, 05:39 PM
...but one of the draw backs for me was having to walk around with the expansion pack plus on my waste.

Ewwwww.

I would have carried it on my waist if I were you.

:twisted:

PoweriPaq
09-11-2003, 06:00 PM
I used the expansion as well, but not as much anymore since the SDIO WiFi arrived. I used to love the idea of having 2 Gig space, but when I travel and it's on my waist, it was too heavy. So I use it only when I need to, in the car in a long trip for my wife to listen to her mp3 or watch a movie, or at home using the WiFi with her iPaq 3870

nosmohtac
09-11-2003, 06:04 PM
Size doesn't really matter for me...I loved the 3970 up to the day i got rid of it...but one of the draw backs for me was having to walk around with the expansion pack plus on my waste. While using it i loved it...but when it came time to put it back on my waste and get moving...i hated it!!! but the 2215 really caught my eye because it had both compact flash and the cd slot...I think the door is still open to almost all expansions out there.

I felt the same way, until I got a Krussel by Whitney CF Leather case. Now my 3970 is wrapped in leather, has a CF slot, and is no thicker than my jornada was.

townsendtribe
09-11-2003, 08:10 PM
Yeah, the bulk is one of the reasons that when my iPAQ died, I went with the Axim. It still has a nice form factor, has both SD and CF slots, a replacable battery, and solid construction. (all the things my iPAQ did not have)

(notice that the iPAQ 22xx has rubber grips just like my Axim?)

Don't get me wrong, the new design of the 22xx is nice, but I am not that impressed with the speaker or the buttons (the two things the iPAQ had always done well)

Jon
09-11-2003, 08:49 PM
I'm new to this forum and to Pocket PC's. After some discussion here and other places and some reading, I purchased the HP 2215.

It is expandable as my needs grow and it is small. I didn't need or want a laptop. I have a desktop as my "base of operations" and all I wanted was an operational sample of what would be currently relevant at any given time in my briefcase. The size is just great. It won't get in the way and will fit in one of the briefcase pockets, just like my calculator or wallet would.

I am impressed with this thing, and I look forward utilizing it wherever practical.

Jon

nic
09-12-2003, 04:29 PM
I really love my h1945!
It does everything I need and I hardly even notice it when it is in my pocket.
The yellow screen everyone is complaining about doesn't bother me unless I'm using it on a table or something (then it is useless). But that is rare, as it is usually in my hand.

I think it is good that Pocket PC manufacturers have smaller models for us who don't really need a SUPER POWERFUL ALL EXPANDABLE "pocket" computer, that doesn't really fit in your pocket.

I probably would have been happier with the h2215, because of the CF slot. But I wasn't happy with the price compared to my h1945.

I really love putting my h1945 next to my handspring visor (I used that thing for 3 years till the screen eventually wore out). They were the exact same price (by a difference of 3 years). The h1945 is so much smaller, elegent, better built, and frankly blows the handspring visor out of the water. (I know I know..no surprise)

-Nic

Actually not even 3 years..2 1/2 years

rzanology
09-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Yeah, the bulk is one of the reasons that when my iPAQ died, I went with the Axim. It still has a nice form factor, has both SD and CF slots, a replacable battery, and solid construction. (all the things my iPAQ did not have)

(notice that the iPAQ 22xx has rubber grips just like my Axim?)

Don't get me wrong, the new design of the 22xx is nice, but I am not that impressed with the speaker or the buttons (the two things the iPAQ had always done well)

WHOA!!!! your ipaq was too bulky so you went to a dell? That is the most backward thing i've heard in a while. What you ment to say was....my ipaq stop working to i went to something that never worked. Thaaaats more like it :). About the 2215 speakers....i didn't like the idea at first....but 2 days later with my boo boo (aka my 2215) i began to notice that i never really needed a super loud speaker. I only used it for showing off and drawing attention to the fact that every one on the train was looking at each other and here i was looking at some movie or music video...but im on my 4th ipaq...i no longer see the need to do that. Even with the ipaq in its case (which is a sony clie leather case that fits it perfect) i can still hear the reminders going off. So it really isn't that bad. As far as the button go...i think they're the most responsive buttons of all the ipaqs i owned. And the d-pad is well done...not to mention the mirror finish! So my friend....curse your dell and get a 2215.

ps. This is my complete non-bias opion :wink:

townsendtribe
09-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Wow, I feel like someone attempted to slap me, but MISSED! Whoosh!

Let me start by saying that the 2200 series is an awesome design. And after they borrowed the style and side grips of my little Axim, they made a nice comfortable pda.

But please, I can definatly speak from experience when I say that the iPAQ had bulk. I remember lugging it arround, with all the expansion packs, the PC Cards, the CF Cards, the modems, three different cases, one for the nakid iPAQ, one for in the CF sleeve, one for in the PCMSIA sleeve. Compared to the iPAQ in an expansion sleeve, my Dell with the two expansion slots carries a lot LESS bulk.

Now I'm not trashing the iPAQ, and that's not what we are trying to discuss here. I started this thread to discuss the paridigm shifts HP is taking us through... and to mention that each time they are releasing an iPAQ, they change the connections. One thing I loved about the original Compaq iPAQ is that each model used the accessories of the previous, with the exception of the connection to Sync. They each had the same form factor, and all worked with the expansion sleeves, and there have been a lot of after marked expansion sleeves created because of that.

Now I know that HP still has the 5xxx series and that those fit the sleeves. And yes, I agree they can expand their market and include the smaller devices as well, and they have done a great job at that. That being said, please forgive me if my invitation to think about it came across as a war cry to some of you.... Not my intention ;-)

rzanology
09-12-2003, 05:06 PM
lol i'll forgive you if i see that axim on e-bay :D

townsendtribe
09-12-2003, 05:12 PM
lol i'll forgive you if i see that axim on e-bay :D

:D Not a chance! I love my Ax. I did just buy an iPAQ for my wife, because she prefers the buttons and speaker on it (go figure).

But hey, I may have gone with the 2200 myself had I not already gotten the Axim. But I like my ax, and me and him are sticking together. It takes true loyalty to admit two things in my life... I love my Axim (good thing), and I am a 49ers fan (hey, at least I admit it) ;-)

rzanology
09-12-2003, 05:14 PM
lol well...GO JAGS!!!! so i guess we're even. You have a trashy handheld and i have a trashy team...maybe we both drive nice cars! :)

spursdude
09-12-2003, 11:43 PM
Let me start by saying that the 2200 series is an awesome design. And after they borrowed the style and side grips of my little Axim, they made a nice comfortable pda.
I do believe that the rubber grip "fad" began with the Toshiba e570 / Audiovox Maestro. :D Not that I mind other companies adopting the grips - they're a great idea.

While on the subject of form factors, I've gotta say that the Audiovox Maestro had a nice form factor for its time. I was trying to decide between it or the iPaq 3765 at the time, and the Audiovox had dual slots, was shorter than the 3765, and was about the same thickness. Plus it just looks so compact.

I think the 2215 has the Maestro beat, though... :D

Steven Cedrone
09-13-2003, 03:17 AM
I do believe that the rubber grip "fad" began with the Toshiba e570 / Audiovox Maestro. :D Not that I mind other companies adopting the grips - they're a great idea.

My Jornada 548 had rubber grips around it as well...

And that was loooonnnng befor the 570... :wink:

Steve

spursdude
09-13-2003, 04:21 AM

And that was loooonnnng befor the 570... :wink:

Steve
Ah, Steve.... correct as usual. :way to go:

ux4484
09-13-2003, 07:26 PM

......as did the 520, though it had little push-in rubber nubs in the holes that would be for the flip cover on the upper end models......they were always popping out......until I model-glued them on that is. :D