View Full Version : Anyone try McDonald's wi-fi?

esc76
09-10-2003, 07:21 PM
New York - Chicago - SF Bay - Canada - Seattle...

I tried connecting yesterday using a free 2 hour trial that a buddy of mine received from Toshiba. I was able to establish a connection with their network (surfhere) but never did get surfing. Their instructional handout stated that after launching your browser, you should automatically connect to their login page. I have an Ipaq 3600 series with PPC 2002 on it, and when I launch Pocket IE I go to the normal welcome screen with links to AvantGo and msnMobile etc. Since nowhere on the instructional handout was there the actual web address of the login site, and I didn't have the patience to call the help number, I just abandoned it.

Anyone have any luck on McDonald's (toshiba's) wi-fi network? If so, how are the speeds?

Just curious.

Fishie
09-10-2003, 07:50 PM
When I was in Chicago two weeks ago I tried it with my Ipaq 2215 and an ambicom card and after putting in the promotional code the surfing was fast and smooth, no problem connecting(the Ipaq found the network automaticaly and connected to the service witouth me ever having to change any settings whatsoever) or anything.

ntractv
09-10-2003, 08:37 PM
New York - Chicago - SF Bay - Canada - Seattle...

I tried connecting yesterday using a free 2 hour trial that a buddy of mine received from Toshiba. I was able to establish a connection with their network (surfhere) but never did get surfing. Their instructional handout stated that after launching your browser, you should automatically connect to their login page. I have an Ipaq 3600 series with PPC 2002 on it, and when I launch Pocket IE I go to the normal welcome screen with links to AvantGo and msnMobile etc. Since nowhere on the instructional handout was there the actual web address of the login site, and I didn't have the patience to call the help number, I just abandoned it.

Anyone have any luck on McDonald's (toshiba's) wi-fi network? If so, how are the speeds?

Just curious.

What wireless set-up do have set-up on your 3600?

opus
09-10-2003, 08:50 PM
It worked fine at the Times Square McDonalds in NYC. I used it a couple of times. Quite fast, and easy to connect. The happy-meal-gives-one-hour-for-free sure puts the pathetic T-Mobile HotSpot plans to shame.

Not sure if the (Centrino-sponsored) promotion is still on, though.

-- Opus

sting0r
09-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Anyone know where I can get a promo code....I would like Wifi with that Big Mac

esc76
09-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Ntractv,

I have a Linksys WCF12. I'm sure I had a connection because the network showed up on my site scan.

I'm glad to hear others had no difficulty connecting. Though I've heard rumors that the free hour with meal purchase (great idea) might fall to the wayside of 2 hours for $4.95...etc. This in my mind will kill any chance of success.

Wired had an article recently (Sept. 2003, p.34) about restaurants and other food/beverage vendors trying to use Wi-fi as a selling point, or at least an attraction. According to the article, Schlotzky's (sp?) Deli has wi-fi and simply gives it away free, and is encouraged by HQ's to broadcast it openly for free. Though I have yet to come across a Schlotzkys that has it, this seems to be the forward thinking approach.