View Full Version : Help-Dell Backup Question

looneytoone
09-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Here's my situation. Had trouble with Active Sync like most people usually do. Based on error message and research decided to do hard reset. Before hard reseting, used "data backup" option that is offered on Dell Axims. I was given a choice between "back up all data" and "back up PIM database only". I chose all data. When I restored, everything was present except for the PIM data (calendar, contacts, and tasks are most important to me).

Is this normal? Did I miss something or a step? Is my product defective? I now have everything except my contacts, calendar and task and they are extremely important to me. (I know that the ideal thing would be to simply download my information from Outlook back to my Axim but when I did my first sync, it copied from Axim to PC and wiped everything out).

HELP!

PoweriPaq
09-10-2003, 05:34 PM
I'll try to help. There is no option for me to save one or the other. But I do notice that mine only backup the program data. Outlook has my PIM backed up from last sync. I know that it only backup program data because when I first got my other ppc for my wife, hers has no PIM data or program, so I just put it in the cradle and the PIM information from my ppc went to hers, eventhough the name of the pocket pc is different and active sync recognize it as a different ppc.

So that tells you, eventhough you backup your data, outlook still have all your pim data, as long as you don't uninstall outlook you should be able to restore it all. Hard reset has nothing to do with outlook. Good luck.

looneytoone
09-10-2003, 10:25 PM
Unless there is some area that automatically backs up Outlook, I have no Outlook data. As I said, after backing up, I synced and Active Sync chose to copy the information from the Axim to the desktop instead of the opposite way.

HELP