View Full Version : Best font for reading ebooks

Thorsten
09-10-2003, 12:19 PM
What font do you like best for reading ebooks? I'm currently using Frutinger Linotype with Mobipocket Reader, which is OK, but not really great.

I have tried alternatives like Times New Roman and Garamond. Both of them display italic text in a smaller typeface than normal. I'm wondering if this is a problem on my side or a general issue. BTW, I've copy the TTF files from my desktop.

So, what do you recommend for reading ebooks :?:

ChristopherTD
09-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Two fonts that you might like to try are Georgia and Verdana. These were designed by Monotype and Microsoft specifically for computer screens, avoiding design features that low-res devices couldn't render well and using a large x-height for extra legibility.

They used to be available from Microsoft for free download, but were removed recently. However, you probably have them on your PC already as I think IE or Office installs them.

Jereboam
09-10-2003, 12:38 PM
I've read though that adding fonts to a Pocket PC is a tricky, and ultimately one-way process, ie you can't remove them once added.

Are there any utilities out there for managing fonts on the Pocket PC?

They sell an Agfa font pack with Palm Reader, apparently hand-tuned (whatever that means, assume on a pixel basis) for ebooks. Does anyone have it and is it worth getting?

J

wocket
09-10-2003, 01:26 PM
You can copy any truetype font from your Desktop PC to to your PocketPC. Just copy them from the windows fonts directory to toy pocketpc windows/fonts directory.

And yep you can remove them.

There is also a utility to allow you to store your fonts on a card.

http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/index.php?soft=726

Thorsten
09-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Christopher: Thanks, Georgia looks very nice and I haven't found any display issues yet.

Wocket: I can not remove the font files from my PPC. They are locked - access denied. Any thoughts?

ChristopherTD
09-10-2003, 02:57 PM
I do all my font removals from the PC, using ActiveSync to browse to the Windows\Fonts folder.

If you close all tasks (using iTask) before doing this it should release any applications that are using the fonts you added.

dh
09-10-2003, 03:53 PM
I also use Geogia for reading and find it to be nice and clear.

I don't like to have many Windows fonts on my PPC just because the files are so large.

Does anyone know if TT fonts are available anywhere that are more optimised for the PPC?