View Full Version : low profile wifi??

SlimDady
09-09-2003, 10:00 AM
Are there any wifi cards either sd or cf that do not pertrude from the axim.?

maximus
09-09-2003, 10:20 AM
Wifi cards are supposed to have a section that protrude from the PPC. The protruding section is necessary to act as the antenna to the wifi radio.

Stephen Beesley
09-09-2003, 02:35 PM
Wifi cards are supposed to have a section that protrude from the PPC. The protruding section is necessary to act as the antenna to the wifi radio.

But some certainly protrude more than others. The wifi card I have is variously sold as a Z-com 815, a Sandisk, a Netgear MA 701 and as a D-link card and I can tell you that the card protrudes quite a lot maybe a couple of centimetres. Certainly it sticks out too far for me to leave it in the card slot when not in use. By comparision some of the socket and symbol cards seem to only stick out about half that much (from pictures I have seen).

The new SD wifi cards that are now hitting the market also seem to protrude quite a bit - but more of long thin antenna type protusion.

Goldtee

Jason Dunn
09-09-2003, 04:09 PM
They all protrude to some degree, but the most low-profile one is from Socket Communications.

JonnoB
09-09-2003, 04:59 PM
They all protrude to some degree, but the most low-profile one is from Socket Communications.

Or Symbol (same card)

SlimDady
09-09-2003, 07:42 PM
like i had thought even on an sd, it could stick out the side of my axim, if it had a narrow roatatable antena even then i would be more happy, or somehow if you could add on an antena say under the batter that could connect to a cf wifi causing you to no longer need the bulky piece on top

Jason Dunn
09-10-2003, 05:41 AM
Or Symbol (same card)

Same card, but last I heard Symbol is STILL working on the Windows Mobile 2003 drivers, so I can't recommend that product to anyone any more...

Stephen Beesley
09-10-2003, 09:48 AM
like i had thought even on an sd, it could stick out the side of my axim, if it had a narrow roatatable antena even then i would be more happy, or somehow if you could add on an antena say under the batter that could connect to a cf wifi causing you to no longer need the bulky piece on top

A rotatable antenna would be just about perfect I think. The problem is that I think the extension normally consists of more than just the antenna part of the card, it also includes some of the "workings" that cannot be made to fit inside the slot.

Goldtee

wardseward
09-10-2003, 07:40 PM
A rotatable antenna would be just about perfect I think. The problem is that I think the extension normally consists of more than just the antenna part of the card, it also includes some of the "workings" that cannot be made to fit inside the slot.

Goldtee

Maybe this will be possible when they make wifi cf with that new OneChip technology I've been reading about. I'm been looking at getting a wifi cf for my 2215 soon, but I might hold off a few months and see what this OneChip stuff produces in that area.

SlimDady
09-17-2003, 10:10 AM

Goldtee

I have a wireless internet card on my laptop.. the pcmci card is in the slot flush then there is a little plug on the card.. the antena is small thin and it just plugs in u can rotate it 360 degrees would be perfect.. guess they cant fit all that in a cf slot yet