View Full Version : Who has 5450 WM2003 upgrade in UK?

ChristopherTD
09-09-2003, 09:17 AM
Folk in Argentina, Australia and Poland have posted recently to say that they have it.

Insight are still not showing any real delivery date for my order.

Has anyone managed to get the WM2003 upgrade in the UK yet, and if so where did they get it?

Jereboam
09-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Also keenly interested. Let's keep this thread open...

J

putthegundownkinkade
09-10-2003, 10:52 AM
i spoke to insight today and they told me that they're expecting a big order in today or tomorrow but that they only get the os in once it's been ordered, they do not carry it as stock so if you are waiting to see it in stock before you order it then you are wasting your time. I would have thought that HP would be able to get his whole thing running a bit more smoothly.

Will

ChristopherTD
09-10-2003, 11:16 AM
That sounds hopeful - I placed an order several weeks ago, so it should be included in their shipment...

Jereboam
09-10-2003, 12:50 PM
Is Insight the only way to order this in the UK? I have checked their site and they carry four different types and show stock availability on certain dates. Are they HP's official distributor or is this more ad-hoc....?

J

Jereboam
09-10-2003, 03:13 PM
OK, I bit the bullet and ordered from Insight. Also spoke to them by telephone, they said they had stock arriving today or tomorrow, at least that's what their system showed. It would be shipped as soon as it arrived anyway. We'll see. Their page is kind of cranky...I had lots of timeouts but my order is at last showing in my account.

J

ChristopherTD
09-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Their system has shown stock arriving "today" for the last 2 weeks. If that is all the information that the sales operative was quoting then it is bogus. Let us hope that they were looking at some other indicator...

Jereboam
09-10-2003, 11:28 PM
That's why I hadn't bothered ordering until today...I had heard that claims of stock and shipping dates were not being adhered to...

Well they haven't charged my card yet, at least it didn't show up this afternoon.

In the absence of an alternative, other than downloading it illegally from an IRC chatroom, I wanted to get my order in. I won't be back in the UK for a few weeks so can afford to wait.

If someone comes up with anything more immediate I'll cancel this order and go elsewhere.

J

Jereboam
09-11-2003, 06:33 PM
For the 5450, now showing 9 expected 12/09. I guess they just keep adjusting forward as suits.

I must echo the previous comment that HP really should have this worked out better. Why should I wait for a CD version? Why can't we just pay HP direct and download? Appalling.

J

Chris Spera
09-11-2003, 07:29 PM
Why can't we just pay HP direct and download? Appalling.

J

Don't get me started!!! :soapbox:

I've been screaming just this for about 2 months. I'm in The States and got my upgrade a week or two ago. (after it being ordered on 7-July-03)

HP could have saved themselves a lot of time, money, bad press and poor customer opinion ratings if they had just made this available for purchase and download.

It also would have saved them the embarrassment of shipping the wrong product to the wrong customers, too.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Jereboam
09-11-2003, 11:49 PM
I guess they would have had an even harder time justifying the frankly unbelievable cost of this upgrade...this way they can whine and moan about having to press CDs. I might even have given them a few dollars for "development" costs had the 5550 not been identical to the 5450 in every way bar RAM amount.

Oh, I could NOT buy it of course, it's ostensibly my choice, but I'm now a heavy WLAN user and I see the benefits in WM 2003. It doesn't mean that I have to be happy with the cost.

I guess the customer just has to bend over and take it up the backside sometimes.

J

dlarah
09-12-2003, 01:27 PM
I ordered the upgrade using the HP form and the "free" $26 upgrade some weeks ago.

This goes to Modus Media a Microsoft fulfillment centre in Scotland.

I rang them at the beginning of the week and then sent an email.

They confirmed they had my order but as HP had not shipped product they would not charge my card until they could ship.

Still a waiting game in the UK then.

putthegundownkinkade
09-12-2003, 04:11 PM
i'm sure that somewhere on their Business Customer Discussion group Sean Veira or Russ Smith explained that it's not up to HP to make WIndows 2003 downloadable as it's a Microsoft(curse them) requirement that all licensed software must have a cd and product key to authenticate it. What i find truly remarkable is that HP couldn't organise themselves to press a decent number of these cd's, what is the point in being a major multinational if you carry on running yourelf like a 'mum and pop' corner shop.
There are people out there who would argue that we should be happy with ppc2002, well i've got an h5450 and the implementation of that operating system is shoddy at best, i spend a fair portion of my time looking at cursor wheels, which is quite frankly ridiculous for such a powerful machine and the rest of my time is spent being told by some extremely highly qualified 8O HP technician that whatever problem i have can only be solved by a hard reset :devilboy: which by the way we have to pay national rate phone call prices for as it's a 'service' offered by HP, i can't see how HP can justify this with products as buggy as theirs, you know they actually make a profit of a couple of pence on all calls to tech support. cheeky b'strds.
Anyway i'm sure you'll all be glad to hear that the fact that none of us can get copies of ppc2003 is, according to HP, because it's a 'phenomenal succes' got to love how much they care about their customers haven't you.

Will

Jereboam
09-13-2003, 01:02 AM
Now showing 1 expected on the 15th.

This could get boring really quickly.

J

coointreauman
09-15-2003, 08:19 PM
This is typical when companies get too big they forget the future of the company depends on not just maintaining customer satisfaction but to move beyond it. Then they would call that customer delight when in reality the Nirvana is Customer Surprise. Get that and the customer will stay with you through thick and thin.

I have the 5550, purely by chance BUT I have a partner moaning for the 2003 upgrade for her 5450, and moaning and moaning - so I have Customer Surprise - the negative kind.

HP listen out - good product - lousy support........

Steve :?

ChristopherTD
09-17-2003, 02:16 PM
Insight are now showing my order as shipped! Hp must have awoken from hibernation.

As I have a replacement 5450 due from HP also it could be maximum confusion time - new PPC and new O/S. I see a lot of installation/activation looming!

ChristopherTD
09-18-2003, 01:48 PM
I have my WM2003 Upgrade and applied it with some difficulty (the sync port doesn't work on my 5450).

So far all looks good - but still installing applications and looking up the serial numbers to register them.

And it does seem a bit quicker, it certainly looks crisper with ClearType turned on.

Jereboam
09-18-2003, 06:00 PM
Lucky bugger.

Mine still shows processing, now 9 expected on the 19th.

How's the zero-config wifi? Better?

J'bm

ChristopherTD
09-18-2003, 08:00 PM
WiFi worked well - just had to enter the WEP key and it did the rest.

Getting dial up connections was a bit more confusing, but I think I have that working as well.

dlarah
09-19-2003, 04:14 PM
Well it arrived today from Modus Media.
Installed Outlook2002 - OK
Installed ActiveSync 3.7 - OK
Installed PPC2003 - OK

Total 30minutes

Resynced.

Doesn't seem any slower or faster.
Connection settings are vast improved but still I reckon confusing unless you spent 20 years in the network industry :lol:

Well worth it just for the Jawbreaker game.

Need to get it home onto WiFi to see if any improvements there

Cheers
Danny[/quote]

ChristopherTD
09-22-2003, 10:11 AM
The connections area is still quite confusing. Sometimes you can tap on the icon in the title bar and be able to dial via Bluetooth or CF Modem, but other times it just directs you to the settings screen, where I have searched in vain for a simple "Dial this connection" option.

Very quirky.