View Full Version : Connecting to 'Work' and 'Internet' at the same time over WiFi

tvalentin
09-08-2003, 10:12 PM
I'm haveing some trouble using my WiFi at my house to browse the internet or to connect to network share and activesync.

I can do either one fine. But to change betwwen the two i have to manually go into the connection setting and change the network card from 'internet' to 'work'. This fixes the problem but is obviously a bit tedious. When set to internet and i try to access a network share i am prompted to set up a VPN connection. But can't seem to get this set up.

I am using a hp5450 upgraded to WM2003, and a Buffalo G54 Airstation as an AP.

I'm sure there is something simple i have either misunderstood or overlooked.

Anyone cracked this one before?

Thanks

Tom

Steven Cedrone
09-08-2003, 10:19 PM
Mine is set to work and I can surf, AS, and map a network drive. When you have it set to "work", what doesn't work??? :wink:

Steve

tvalentin
09-08-2003, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply

When set to Internet i can browse the web but not use activesync or connect to network shares.
When i type in a host name in file explorer e.g. \\host\share
A message "Cannot Connect. Inorder to connect to your work network you will need to configure a VPN Connection".

Switching to the work setting allows connection to the shared folder. But then trying to browse the web i get the message.
"Cannot Connect. In order to connect to the internet you will need to configure a proxy". However I don't run a proxy?

ctmagnus
09-08-2003, 11:19 PM
Dunno if this will help as it's been a while since I've had such issues. You may have already tried it as well.

Open Connections (Start -> Settings -> Connections tab, tap on Connections).

Select the Advanced tab then Select Networks button.

Tap New (either one).

On the Proxy tab, check "This network connects to the Internet" but leave "This network uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet" unchecked. Tap Ok.

When at home, select the settings you just set up under both dropdowns and you should be good to go.

circus83
02-15-2004, 09:48 AM
I have the same problem. I am on a wireless network that connects to the internet through a router (combination router and wireless type device) that is connected to an ADSL modem. I am not sure about whether there is a proxy or not, but i am certain that the address of the router does not work as a proxy address.

The other computers automatically detect proxy settings and work well on the internet. How can i get my mobile device to do the same.

Note that when i assign the network as the internet, it works on the internet, but is unable to access Activesync etc.

ctmagnus
02-15-2004, 11:05 PM
I think

Start -> Settings -> Connections tab -> Connections -> Advanced tab -> Select Networks -> [pick your connection in either box] -> Edit... -> Proxy Settings tab, check the first box but uncheck the second

should do it.