View Full Version : Changing memory cards

jgahr
09-07-2003, 03:46 AM
I am now using an SD WiFi card, San Disk. All of my noninternal memory was on my SD card. I need to transfer all the programs to my CF card, which is no problem. Will the links to the programs automatically pick up the change in address/location, or will I need to repoint them all by removing and reinstalling.
Thanks

ctmagnus
09-07-2003, 04:18 AM
What happens with multiple memory cards is the first one is referenced as Storage Card, the second as Storage Card2, etc. If you insert the CF first and always have it in the unit, it should constantly be referenced as Storage Card and the SD card (it it's the model with additional storage memory) should be referenced as Storage Card2. I say should because there may be initialization issues after the occasional soft-reset; the card that is referenced as Storage Card2 before the reset may be referenced as Storage Card due to access times. But I just checked with a SD card and a CF card in my 5550 and there was not a problem.

Godsongz
09-07-2003, 05:12 AM
The WM2003 OS may handle this differently, my 2215 shows "SD Card" & "CF Card"

Sven Johannsen
09-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Godsongz is correct, but it is not just a WM2003 issue, the original Dells named the storage cards that way too, as did some other PPC OEMs. That fact makes it necessary to un-install and re-install to change from having your programs on an SD card to them being on a CF card....or you spend a considerable amount of time in the registry, fixing all the references. It is kind of like adding a drive to your PC and it turns what used to be D: into E:. Breaks stuff.

ctmagnus
09-07-2003, 06:29 AM
Really? I eternally have an SD card in my 5550 which shows up as \Storage Card. I stuck a CF card in it via my PC Card Expansion Pack+ and it showed up as \Storage Card2. It must be model-independant.

jgahr
09-07-2003, 07:05 AM
Thanks folks, naturally I was looking for the easy way, doesn't look like it is there with my 2215. Probably won't hurt to do the clean up anyway. I could do the registry, but it definitely will be faster just to uninstall and reinstall since I have an install list from the tons of times in the past I have had to hard reset, upgrade, etc. At least I have more new toys to play with now.
:mrgreen: