View Full Version : Subscriber Badges Can Now Be Turned Off

Jason Dunn
09-06-2003, 07:18 PM
It took a while for me to meet this promise, but subscribers now have a tool to turn off the "I'm a Subscriber" forum badge if they want. To do so, first make sure you're logged in, then <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/customize.php">go to the customize page</a>, and click on the <i>Subscriber Badge</i> menu option. From there, you can toggle it off and on.<br /><br />My original intention in creating this feature was to give people something that they could be proud of - because I feel that supporting this site financially <b><u>is</u></b> something to be proud of. Too many people feel that everything on the Internet should be free, and are naive about the amount of work and time it takes to keep a major Web site running. I've been overwhelmed by the positive response to our subscriber services packages, and it gives me a boost every time I see the number of people who have subscribed, because when I see that badge it says "I like what you and your team is doing enough to want to support it financially".<br /><br />The badges were never meant to have a polarizing effect on the community, however, so for those of you who feel that displaying the badge is somehow elitist, you can turn it off. Either way, the choice is yours as a subscriber. :way to go:

Gremmie
09-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Uh, yeah, I'm a supporter, but I've always had the ability to turn off my subscriber badge ;)

Hx4700
09-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Jason,
I thought the badge was a good idea as it might encourage others to subscribe who hadn't when they saw so many had. Also newbies might also get encouraged to join. With the added contests, etc for subscribers, why not join?
Heck, even a "Lifetime" subscriber badge might be good idea for the same above reasons.
IMHO...
Ron...

Janak Parekh
09-06-2003, 08:47 PM
I thought the badge was a good idea as it might encourage others to subscribe who hadn't when they saw so many had.
That's what I think too, but different people have different opinions. Some subscribers thought it was "bragging". We do have other ways of encouraging people to join, like the contests that are set to start next week.

--janak

griph
09-06-2003, 08:57 PM
The badges were never meant to have a polarizing effect on the community, however, so for those of you who feel that displaying the badge is somehow elitist, you can turn it off. Either way, the choice is yours as a subscriber. :way to go:

What on earth is wrong with showing support for PPCT?? How can that be considered as being elitist?

My Banner's staying where it should be Jason. VISIBLE!! You have a service that we all should be proud to subscribe to.

griph
09-06-2003, 09:02 PM
Some subscribers thought it was "bragging". We do have other ways of encouraging people to join, like the contests that are set to start next week.
janak

Bragging??! I mean its not as if being a subscriber is like showing off that 'One' owned a Ferarri, a porsche, or had been educated at Oxford/ Cambridge/ Harvard. :roll:

Jason Dunn
09-06-2003, 09:22 PM
Bragging??! I mean its not as if being a subscriber is like showing off that 'One' owned a Ferarri, a porsche, or had been educated at Oxford/ Cambridge/ Harvard. :roll:

Well, that's what I think myself, but I guess some people are a little sensitive. Anyway, there were some subscribers who asked for this feature as well, so I'm honouring their request. Some people like to be anonymous with their support, which I understand completely.

Either way, the control is in the hands of subscribers now, not mine - all thanks to Fabrizio. :mrgreen:

GoldKey
09-06-2003, 09:27 PM
There have been a few threads recently with the elitist tone about subscribers. This way works perfectly, those who subscribe and want to show it can (I will proudly leave my banner on). However, you never 100% know if someone is not a member because they could be one and chose to turn it off. This should solve any problems with someone feeling branded by not having a banner.

proutpa
09-06-2003, 09:28 PM
The badges were never meant to have a polarizing effect on the community, however, so for those of you who feel that displaying the badge is somehow elitist, you can turn it off. Either way, the choice is yours as a subscriber. :way to go:

What on earth is wrong with showing support for PPCT?? How can that be considered as being elitist?

My Banner's staying where it should be Jason. VISIBLE!! You have a service that we all should be proud to subscribe to.

I completely agree with you, mine will stay also.

Jason Dunn
09-06-2003, 09:30 PM
However, you never 100% know if someone is not a member because they could be one and chose to turn it off. This should solve any problems with someone feeling branded by not having a banner.

Exactly! Only the PPCT team will know who's a subscriber and who's not, so the supposed "subconsious discrimination" will now be moot. Problem solved. ;-)

Sslixtis
09-06-2003, 09:43 PM
All I can say is Good Grief! :pukeface2:

Maybe you should allow people to turn off the post count as well, all those people with thousands of posts could be considered Elitist! Oh and the date joined and the pocket pc thinker etc labels.....:roll:

Jason Dunn
09-06-2003, 09:52 PM
Maybe you should allow people to turn off the post count as well, all those people with thousands of posts could be considered Elitist! Oh and the date joined and the pocket pc thinker etc labels.....:roll:

That's a good idea. But first I'll have to form a comittee, do some studies, involve some focus groups...I'll get back to you in about two years. :lol:

Jeff Rutledge
09-06-2003, 10:19 PM
Is the default setting on or off? I see a lot of people who I'm pretty sure are subs who don't have the badge. More than I would estimate would have turned it off...

Jason Dunn
09-06-2003, 10:29 PM
Is the default setting on or off? I see a lot of people who I'm pretty sure are subs who don't have the badge. More than I would estimate would have turned it off...

The default setting is on - we're not changing it for people, they can change it themselves. ;-) I also don't want to make a big deal out of who's turning it off, why, etc. Let's just leave this issue alone shall we? :wink:

Foo Fighter
09-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Bah! Why would I want to hide my enthusiasm? Show your support, and wear the badge with pride! :wink: :rock on dude!:

Foo Fighter
09-06-2003, 11:10 PM
Is it just me, or is the "edit" button not appearing? 8O

Janak Parekh
09-06-2003, 11:10 PM
Is it just me, or is the "edit" button not appearing? 8O
Known issue. We're looking into it.

--janak

Paragon
09-06-2003, 11:11 PM
I think you guys missed the point. For some spending even a few dollars is a big deal, and have to spend every dollar wisely. I felt there were some who were genuinely embarrassed that they couldn't be a subscriber and would be judged by some for it.....remember being a poor student and eating peanut butter sandwiches because that was all you could afford.

I think the whole subscriber thing is a great idea, and people should be proud to show support for a site like this....but that is how I feel.:)

Dave

Foo Fighter
09-06-2003, 11:15 PM
I understand where you're coming from Paragon, but there really is no pressure on anyone to join. Subscription isn't manditory. And I certainly don't think any less of regular posters that lack a "I'm a subscriber" badge. To each his own.

Foo Fighter
09-06-2003, 11:17 PM
Known issue. We're looking into it.

Most likely a config error, or something in the PHP code. Has anyone edited the forum template lately?

Paragon
09-06-2003, 11:19 PM
I understand where you're coming from Paragon, but there really is no pressure on anyone to join. Subscription isn't manditory. And I certainly don't think any less of regular posters that lack a "I'm a subscriber" badge. To each his own.

I know that, you know that......some just don't feel that way.....so how about those Blue Jays. :)

Dave

GoldKey
09-06-2003, 11:32 PM

That's a good idea. But first I'll have to form a comittee, do some studies, involve some focus groups...I'll get back to you in about two years. :lol:

I think you will need to hire an outside consultant to do this right. I offer my services. :wink:

dh
09-06-2003, 11:41 PM
My wife is always telling me that I'm an elitist snob so I better keep my banner on. :D

Foo Fighter
09-06-2003, 11:47 PM
My wife is always telling me that I'm an elitist snob so I better keep my banner on. :D

Heh! On some *other* message boards I use the title Elitist snob. So screw the masses, let them eat cake, the whole lot of them! :wink:

griph
09-07-2003, 12:01 AM

NOOOOooooooooooo!!!!! That is not a good idea. Why dont we drop the term Homo Sapiens? The Monkeys and Apes might think we humans are being elitist! Has the world gone stark staring bonkers!

dean_shan
09-07-2003, 12:15 AM
I've grown accustomed to seeing the little thumbs-up guy so I'm keeping the badge on. It would be cool if later on Jason had a few subscriber badges to choose from.

Jason Dunn
09-07-2003, 12:19 AM
It would be cool if later on Jason had a few subscriber badges to choose from.

Oh yeah? What kinds of badges did you have in mind? That's certainly something we can look at doing...

Foo Fighter
09-07-2003, 12:22 AM
A few graphical images of PalmOS devices being senselessly slaughtered by Pocket PC hardware might be a nice start. :wink:

dh
09-07-2003, 12:25 AM
A few graphical images of PalmOS devices being senselessly slaughtered by Pocket PC hardware might be a nice start. :wink:

That's a great idea. Oh wait a minute, some of that Sony hardware is better than ours. :D

gorkon280
09-07-2003, 12:56 AM
I think this is a great move. First off, I will probably turn mine off. I don't want my subscriber status to effect anyones opinion of my posts. I do want to thank Jason for the free app. The classic game pack is extremely addicting! Fireball is awesome (until the ball gets stuck! :) ).

This is why I have always liked Slashcode as much of a mess it is. Slashdot has never made much distinction between subs and non subs. Subs get no more karma then anyone else. Their posts don't look any different either. Slashdot did not even want to have to do the subscriber thing either. Anonymous users still can post messages. Moderation also works well on Slashdot. The crap posts get moderated into oblivion. Although I have not found many crap posts here. Mostly quality posts from everyone.

Elitism sucks. I ain't no better then anyone else just cuz I choose to support you Jason. Thanks for the added benefits that make it worth subscribing. Some sites don't do this (Slashdot). To be honest I hardly ever notice the number of posts or date joined. It would not be abd idea to turn these off either but I don't really care. Thanks Jason (and Fabrizio..sp).

Foo Fighter
09-07-2003, 12:57 AM
That's a great idea. Oh wait a minute, some of that Sony hardware is better than ours. :D

Shhhh! Don't let the others know. :wink:

Janak Parekh
09-07-2003, 01:36 AM
Most likely a config error, or something in the PHP code. Has anyone edited the forum template lately?
Yep -- Fabrizio had edited the phpBB code for the optional subscriber badge handling which triggered a variable naming conflict. Try it now; it should be fixed.

--janak

Brad Adrian
09-07-2003, 02:08 AM
I felt there were some who were genuinely embarrassed that they couldn't be a subscriber...
I see. So maybe it wasn't so much people feeling subscribers are elitist, but that those who can't subscribe felt self-conscious about it.

I can understand that. I've got to applaud Jason, too, for his sensitivity to an issue that might on the surface look minor but which is obviously important to some people.

griph
09-07-2003, 02:13 AM
Elitism sucks. I ain't no better then anyone else just cuz I choose to support you Jason.

But this isn't elitism - ranking is a part of life - unavoidable, and it is no different here. OK if this is a user configurable then it does give everyone the option - but frankly it's rapidly seeming like some mis-placed political correctness! A 'concept' I hate with a vengence! :roll:

Paragon
09-07-2003, 02:17 AM
I felt there were some who were genuinely embarrassed that they couldn't be a subscriber...
I see. So maybe it wasn't so much people feeling subscribers are elitist, but that those who can't subscribe felt self-conscious about it.

I can understand that. I've got to applaud Jason, too, for his sensitivity to an issue that might on the surface look minor but which is obviously important to some people.

I think so Brad, at least that was the feeling I got from some of the original posts on this subject.

...and I agree, Jason has tried to to be sensitive to the issue.

Dave

RKosin
09-07-2003, 02:21 AM
This must be one of the longest threads.... 8O all in all its PC in the PPC community and no one posted a word about "dem Cubs"

JonnoB
09-07-2003, 02:40 AM
I hope that most people keep the badge showing. It is a reminder for possibly the non-subscriber that there are more services available should they a need for them. It is a good non-intrusive reminder and will get new viewers of the site curious as to what is meant by the badge if many carry it.

yawanag
09-07-2003, 02:48 AM

Amen and Amen. I thought it was to show pride in being part of this Community

Kevin Jackson
09-07-2003, 02:59 AM
This must be one of the longest threads.... 8O all in all its PC in the PPC community and no one posted a word about "dem Cubs"

[off-topic] GO CUBBIES! [/off-topic]

[on-topic] I like my "badge" and I like the idea of choices of badges. [/on-topic]

That is all 0X

Steven Cedrone
09-07-2003, 03:09 AM
This must be one of the longest threads....

Not even close... :wink:

Steve

Gremmie
09-07-2003, 04:09 AM

Oh yeah? What kinds of badges did you have in mind? That's certainly something we can look at doing...

Someone brought up a badge with their specific membership plan, and I think logo's that represent their PDA would be nice.

dean_shan
09-07-2003, 04:20 AM

Dunno. Maybe different emoticons or animations. Maybe have device logos and such. It sounds like we should have a badge design contest to me.

ctmagnus
09-07-2003, 04:46 AM

Mood badges! :mrgreen:

On a more serious thought: each individuals brand of choice.

Gremmie
09-07-2003, 05:07 AM
iPaq 5550!

Hrm...I thought you were happy to see me.

Jason Dunn
09-07-2003, 05:26 AM

Dunno. Maybe different emoticons or animations. Maybe have device logos and such. It sounds like we should have a badge design contest to me.

I'll give it some thought - thanks!

acronym
09-07-2003, 01:14 PM
is there a way to turn off all those avatars and sigs as well? it's amazing how little feedback actually gets posted on an entire page of replys.

in all honesty, I could care less about your witty quotes and animated images.

jkendrick
09-07-2003, 02:18 PM
As a subscriber I don't feel it's a big deal one way or another about the badges and will probably leave mine on. But, it's the size AND quality of the community that makes any top site work and the last thing you want is people dropping out because they feel their opinion doesn't matter.

Jason's solution is simple and elegant and I support it.

JonnoB
09-07-2003, 10:26 PM
I think logo's that represent their PDA would be nice.

It may not work for those who have multiple Pocket PC devices......

Kati Compton
09-07-2003, 10:40 PM
I would actually suggest *not* providing badges based on level of subscription. For the people that are concerned with elitism, this would only make it worse... Maybe just different colors so people can choose their favorite? On the other hand, everyone knows that BLUE is best. ;)

maximus
09-08-2003, 01:20 AM
That's what I think too, but different people have different opinions. Some subscribers thought it was "bragging". We do have other ways of encouraging people to join, like the contests that are set to start next week.
--janak

So, now I have the option to brag (leave the badge on) or not to brag (disable the badge)? ... one more thing to decide in life. :mrgreen:

maximus
09-08-2003, 01:26 AM

Oh, you mean, the $800+ devices with no access to CF/SD cards ? :wink:

JustinGTP
09-08-2003, 01:44 AM
So, how many users actually turn it off. I actually liked to see the badges.

-Justin.

piperpilot
09-08-2003, 12:56 PM
I paid for it. I'm proud of it. I like it. It stays!

dh
09-08-2003, 03:30 PM

Oh, you mean, the $800+ devices with no access to CF/SD cards ? :wink:
I agree with you there, memory stick would have to go and be replaced with SD/CF before I would buy one. I don't want to go back to POS (I love writing that!) either.

Kati Compton
09-08-2003, 03:36 PM
I think we were discussing the badges here, not Palm vs. PPC.... ;)

quidproquo
09-08-2003, 04:37 PM
Wow..... 8O
A lot of talk over what seems to me to be a small issue....

Jason Dunn
09-08-2003, 04:54 PM
is there a way to turn off all those avatars and sigs as well?

Not currently - we'd have to custom-develop it. That would be an interesting subscriber feature - I'll look into it.

Jason Dunn
09-08-2003, 04:55 PM

That's the way things go here. :roll: :lol:

marlof
09-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Although I have two subscriptions (one as a -retired- Team Member, and one by choice), I decided to show only one badge. I am both elitist and not. But I fully support the site. :p

Canuck
09-08-2003, 11:36 PM
While I do understand the reasons, it is interesting to see how the power of a loud minority works over the quiet majority. I think ppct is handling this very maturely and to show my appriciation I not only will keep my badge but I downloaded the Pocket PC Thoughts theme to show off. (at least until my kids beg me for 'Finding Nemo' again...)

... and what's with the ppct theme's 'related items' on pocketpcthemes.com. I think I learned more than I wanted to about the guys at SPG... :shocked!:

- Derek

Jason Dunn
09-08-2003, 11:53 PM
...but I downloaded the Pocket PC Thoughts theme to show off.

Hmm. That theme is ok, but I think our official theme is a bit better (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/files/thoughtsnew.tsk). ;-)

Canuck
09-08-2003, 11:59 PM
:D Much better!! Keep up the great work Jason!

ctmagnus
09-09-2003, 12:01 AM
Hmm. That theme is ok, but I think our official theme is a bit better (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/files/thoughtsnew.tsk). ;-)

And no sleazy ads, either!

Steven Cedrone
09-09-2003, 01:41 AM
And no sleazy ads, either!

What "sleazy" ads??? :roll:

Steve

Canuck
09-09-2003, 01:53 AM
No bother, its just that when I downloaded the 'old' ppct theme the site in question (not this one) offered some 'related' products that were questionable of character.

Each to his own, but I prefer my pocket pc rated G. :lilangel:

Steven Cedrone
09-09-2003, 02:18 AM
Oh, so we're talking about sleazy adds on other sites...

Steve

Canuck
09-09-2003, 02:26 AM
Yes, that's much more on topic isn't it. :)

OK, I'm switching off the 'follow this thread' button now...

ctmagnus
09-09-2003, 11:03 PM
What "sleazy" ads??? :roll:

No bother, its just that when I downloaded the 'old' ppct theme the site in question (not this one) offered some 'related' products that were questionable of character.

Those sleazy ads! Of course I wasn't referring to this site! This is one of the few havens of decency left.

Jonathon Watkins
09-11-2003, 11:50 PM
I've grown accustomed to seeing the little thumbs-up guy so I'm keeping the badge on. It would be cool if later on Jason had a few subscriber badges to choose from.

Yes - sounds good - more variety - more choise - more colour etc. 8)

Jonathon Watkins
09-11-2003, 11:50 PM

That's the way things go here. :roll: :lol:

And that's why we love it. :way to go:

Hyperluminal
09-12-2003, 04:58 AM
Hmm, that really might be a good idea, different color badges... :D