View Full Version : This weeks ebooks available for download from Microsoft...

Steven Cedrone
09-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Practice What You Preach by David Maister (http://12.149.108.82/authenticate.asp?Id=113&book=PWYP817)

The Devil's Banker by Christopher Reich (http://12.149.108.82/authenticate.asp?Id=191&book=TDBL526)

The Red and the Black by Burton Raffel Stendhal (http://12.149.108.82/authenticate.asp?Id=1170&book=TRATB34)

Get them while you can!!!

Steve

Crystal Eitle
09-06-2003, 05:05 PM
I'm not usually into thrillers, but "The Devil's Banker" looks pretty good.

bugsy
09-06-2003, 06:52 PM
Has anybody been able to download this weeks books. When I click on the link it opens a new window, but then hangs and fails to download. I'm having the same problem with all 3 books from this week.

mflaspoler
09-06-2003, 06:58 PM
Ive been able to download all of them, even using my pocket pc. If you are using a proxy, disable it. I had to disable my proxy 2 download it.

davidspalding
09-07-2003, 12:51 AM
Likewise, ad-blocking software interferes with the download page.

JustinGTP
09-07-2003, 06:37 AM
The links, when I click them, It wants to download to my pc reader. Stupid MS.

JustinGTP
09-07-2003, 06:59 AM
Ok, I figured I needed Reader on my pc. I have that on my pc now. I have reader on my pocket pc. I downloaded one of the titles. It shows on my pc. How can I get it to my pocket pc?
:?

Justin.

spursdude
09-07-2003, 07:58 AM
Ok, I figured I needed Reader on my pc. I have that on my pc now. I have reader on my pocket pc. I downloaded one of the titles. It shows on my pc. How can I get it to my pocket pc?
:?

Justin.
See my reply to your other thread. If you can't find the file, it's probably in C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\My Documents\My Library.

naraku
09-08-2003, 04:07 AM
is there any other place on the web where i can download these. i keep getting that page where i have to activate. even though mine is already activated and i disabled proxy. i even tried going to the site through my pda, but still said the same thing. i know aol uses a proxy and im using aol, so could that be my problem? i tried my external browser as well, but i get the same result.

JustinGTP
09-08-2003, 04:33 AM
You need reader on your pc and pocket pc and them activate them both from your pc. Thats how I solved my problem.

Justin.

Linus
09-09-2003, 08:11 PM
I've tried downloading these titles several times. Every time, it seems to download correctly, but then the title isn't added to the list in Reader and I can't find the .LIT in the usual location. I uninstalled, reinstalled, and reactivated the latest Reader; no dice. Do I have to have my PPC sync-ed in order to get this to work? If so, how come it's worked before?

Argh.

spursdude
09-09-2003, 11:44 PM
I've tried downloading these titles several times. Every time, it seems to download correctly, but then the title isn't added to the list in Reader and I can't find the .LIT in the usual location. I uninstalled, reinstalled, and reactivated the latest Reader; no dice. Do I have to have my PPC sync-ed in order to get this to work? If so, how come it's worked before?

Argh.
Get a little more specific - are you downloading the LIT files on your PC or your PPC? Are you clicking "Save target as" or just clicking on the hyperlink? To get it from your PC to your PPC, when you have an ActiveSync connection going, just click Explore and throw the LIT files from your PC onto the My Documents folder of your PPC. Should work...

Thorsten
09-10-2003, 10:05 AM
I'm having exactly the same problem. The file downloads but does not show up in the library. That worked until two weeks ago. I tried everything I could think of: disabling proxy, ad blocking software, desktop firewall. It simply is not working. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Linus
09-10-2003, 03:02 PM
I was trying to download to my PC. Ended up clearing out all my cookies and reactivating to get it to work.

As far as I know, you can't right-click and do a Save Target As because it will just offer you an HTML file. You have to click on the link in order for it to verify you're registered.

All I know is, as soon as this free eBook promotion is over, I'm going back to the old Reader.