View Full Version : I thought we could edit our own posts?

Crystal Eitle
09-06-2003, 03:53 PM
What happened to the ability to edit one's own comments? I just made a mistake in a comment I posted, and there's no "edit" button.

I thought users had the power to edit their own posts - was I just imagining this?

Crystal Eitle
09-06-2003, 03:54 PM
Wait - now I see it. Must've just been a glitch in the thread I was in.

Crystal Eitle
09-06-2003, 03:55 PM
Whoa - I take that back. There's an "edit" button for my original post to this thread, but none for the comments. Didn't there used to be one for the comments, too? Weird.

GoldKey
09-06-2003, 04:13 PM
I've been able to edit my responses. Let me see if I still can.

GoldKey
09-06-2003, 04:14 PM
Nope, the edit button is missing.

Hyperluminal
09-06-2003, 04:16 PM
Let me see...

Hyperluminal
09-06-2003, 04:18 PM
Nope. Can't edit it or delete it.
And I guess we shouldn't have everyone just testing if they can or can't, since that'd just make the thread degenerate to post testing.... :)

Steven Cedrone
09-06-2003, 04:48 PM
I Thought you could edit your post unless someone replied to it...

Only the last post in the thread should be able to be edited and only if that post is your own...

Isn't that what you are seeing???

Steve

dh
09-06-2003, 04:57 PM
You could edit your posts at any time. If someone else had posted since there would be a note in the edited post saying how many times it had been edited. There was no note if there were no additional posts.

It's the delete button that goes away after an additional post is made in the thread.

I just checked some of my posts can't edit those either and they could do with improvement. :D

dh
09-06-2003, 04:59 PM
I think Crystal has broken it. :lol:

GoldKey
09-06-2003, 05:01 PM
You could edit your posts at any time. If someone else had posted since there would be a note in the edited post saying how many times it had been edited. There was no note if there were no additional posts.

It's the delete button that goes away after an additional post is made in the thread.

I just checked some of my posts can't edit those either and they could do with improvement. :D

Exactly, that was the behavior before. Now, not.

Actually, now I can!

Actually, only this post, but I can't edit my older ones.

Jason Dunn
09-06-2003, 06:24 PM
Must be a permissions problem...looking into it.

Jason Dunn
09-06-2003, 06:26 PM
I double-checked the permissions, and for this forum, any registered user can edit their own post. I have no clue why some of you can and some of you can't...

dh
09-06-2003, 06:38 PM
Possibly a reboot or soft reset will fix it?
Wait a sec....... this is Dunn Tech Support, not Dell. :D

spursdude
09-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Lemme see about this...

spursdude
09-06-2003, 08:46 PM
No edit option. Sad day.

Janak Parekh
09-06-2003, 08:49 PM
Hmm. I'll put it in our known issues queue. Hopefully it's something that's easy to fix.

--janak

Kati Compton
09-07-2003, 12:34 AM
Hmmm... Well, I have an edit button for all of your posts.... ;)

dh
09-07-2003, 12:37 AM
Welcome back!

Kati Compton
09-07-2003, 12:38 AM
Welcome back!
Not entirely - I'll be "not all (t)here" for the next 3 weeks or so. ;) But thanks!

Janak Parekh
09-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Try it now... you shouldn't need to be Kati anymore to edit 'em. :lol: Which is a good thing -- imagine emailing her to edit all of our posts 8O :razzing:

--janak

spursdude
09-07-2003, 01:58 AM
Welcome back!
And welcome back to the edit buttons! That was quick.

Steven Cedrone
09-07-2003, 02:19 AM

Oops... :roll:

My mistake!!! But in my own defense, I always have an edit button for every post... :wink:

Steve

maximus
09-08-2003, 02:00 AM

Hum, someone should remove that access of yours. We do not encourage elitist on this forum. See the other thread regarding badges. :mrgreen:

maximus
09-08-2003, 02:05 AM
Try it now... you shouldn't need to be Kati anymore to edit 'em. :lol: Which is a good thing -- imagine emailing her to edit all of our posts 8O :razzing:

--janak

Can I have her email address, please ? :mrgreen:

Back on topic, I occasionally lost the 'edit' button, that is usually when I opened several posts at the same time, I usually log my password on the first IE session that is opened, and the missing edit button usually happens after I closed the IE containing the first post (the IE session where I log on).

Relogging usually sove the problem.

JustinGTP
09-08-2003, 02:13 AM
Naughty naughty maximus. You, from now on, should be called miniminus 8O

-Justin.

Janak Parekh
09-08-2003, 03:48 AM
Can I have her email address, please ? :mrgreen:
Sure -- go to Contact and choose Moderator from the list. It'll also email Steve, too; we aim to give you the fastest service possible. :razzing:

Back on topic, I occasionally lost the 'edit' button, that is usually when I opened several posts at the same time, I usually log my password on the first IE session that is opened, and the missing edit button usually happens after I closed the IE containing the first post (the IE session where I log on).
Hrm, I've never had that problem. Did you try saving your login?

--janak

maximus
09-08-2003, 07:38 AM
Sure -- go to Contact and choose Moderator from the list. It'll also email Steve, too; we aim to give you the fastest service possible. :razzing:

He heh. Never mind :p

Hrm, I've never had that problem. Did you try saving your login?

--janak

Nooooooooooooo. Saving login = bad BAD BAD idea :p I am posting from an office PC. Let me quote the writing on the box of all the PCs in this office : All transactions performed from/to this PC might be logged. This PC is for business purposes only. Non business related activities might result in disciplinary action, which might include termixxxxxx. The last word is masked with xxx, because it is a very scary word :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

JustinGTP
09-09-2003, 01:10 AM
Terminator3

Is that the word? It is supposedly a good movie, maybe you should go and watch it! :lol:

maximus
09-09-2003, 01:35 AM
Terminator3

Is that the word? It is supposedly a good movie, maybe you should go and watch it! :lol:

It is a good movie, now go back on topic :p

JustinGTP
09-09-2003, 01:45 AM
I was trying to be funny but I guess some people cant take it that way :razz:

maximus
09-09-2003, 10:29 AM
When reading your posts, I always have trouble distinguishing between your 'post' and 'signature'. So many distractions in one post. So it is only natural If some people missed your funniness :mrgreen: :D