View Full Version : Wifi or Extra Memory?

vassil3427
09-05-2003, 11:09 PM
Hello Everyone, about 5 months ago I had a Dell Axim...but I ended up returning it for some other reasons...but now the time has come, and I am purchasing another one! I am on a very limited budget...so here's what i'm getting...

Axim Basic 300mhz. 32/32
Dell Leather Carrying case
Brando Screen Protector
added 1yr complete care warranty
(Purchasing from Dell)
Now the question is, should I get a wifi card and a router?
Or Should I opt for a 256mb CF card and get the wifi in a month, or as soon as I get the money?

I am personally leaning towards the Memory so I can convert some of my DVD's into Divx and take them with me on my axim...And maybe copying some of my cd's onto my computer and transferring them onto the PPC...

jake080
09-06-2003, 12:36 AM
first off dude, you arent going to fit many divx movies on a 256 cf!
Heres what i say... WAIT! like wait until dell releases the new axims later this year, buy the cheaper one, and then if it doesnt have any integrated wireless stuff, buy a wifi cf. i have a wifi cf but dont have a ppc currently, i sent it back to dell and said i was going to wait.
but it definately makes more sense to stream media and other files over wlan than to buy a little storage card.
hope this helps.
~Jake

vassil3427
09-06-2003, 01:01 AM
Actaully yes you can get divx on a 256mb card, because of the decreased screen size, the movie file isnt as big, you can fit a 90 minute movie onto a 256mb card...One of my friends does it all the time, great quality too....And I am buying a handheld now, I am not waiting anymore,.....

Brad Adrian
09-06-2003, 01:57 AM
It's really difficult to say which would be better for you, especially without knowing what kinds of things you plan on using the Pocket PC for.

But...

In my opinion, WiFi is great, and fills a real need for me...at certain times. Surfing the Web with my Pocket PC is only a small part of the many ways I use my device, so if I had to choose between the two, I would get more immediate benefit from being able to load more apps and listen to music on a CF card than I would surfing wirelessly.

vassil3427
09-06-2003, 02:00 AM
Thanks Adrian! :lol: :mrgreen:
I'll go for the 256mb cf card and get wifi in month or so...surfing the web on it would be great, but for now I'll just get more memory for games..movies...etc...

David Prahl
09-06-2003, 05:22 PM
Why not get a 256 SD card?

I bought a 128 CF card right when I got my Axim, and it's a REAL PAIN to swap out the memory for the wireless.

It's worth whatever price difference there is. If you think there's any chance you're getting wi-fi, get the SD card.

And by the way, the Dell X3 is rumored to only have SDIO and not CF, and the soonest you could get one will probably be mid-november.

I've got a friend who is also considering buying an X5 or waiting for the X3. If you need the slots, don't care about the size, and need one now, get the X5 with some SD memory. If you can wait (I know I couldn't! :D ) until mid-November, you'll probably get a good deal on either device.

vassil3427
09-06-2003, 06:23 PM
Is an Sd card slower in terms of read/write and transferring data??

David Prahl
09-06-2003, 07:01 PM
Not that I have any benchmarks to back up my claims, but I read somewhere that CF is faster than SD.

It's not like your MP3s are going to skip, though. I think the difference is not that noticable.

maximus
09-08-2003, 02:08 AM
first off dude, you arent going to fit many divx movies on a 256 cf!

A decent 2 hours movie with decent framerate is sized around 200KB. Playing divxs on SD cards should not be a problem, even the worst/slowest SD cards have at least 2-3 mbps read speed.

David Prahl
09-08-2003, 02:14 AM
How do you rip a DVD to a divx file format? I know I should "Search" for this, but I'm not in the mood. :D

I don't have a DVD-ROM, but I might buy one if I think it's worthwhile.

vassil3427
09-08-2003, 03:04 AM
Here's a site that should help... http://bigdsvideo.tripod.com/

PetiteFlower
09-08-2003, 04:18 AM
You can check the Multimedia forum too. It's a pretty complicated process so "searching" is definitely what you want to do.

maximus
09-08-2003, 07:50 AM
How do you rip a DVD to a divx file format? I know I should "Search" for this, but I'm not in the mood. :D

I don't have a DVD-ROM, but I might buy one if I think it's worthwhile.

Your wish is my command. Go here. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15028&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) Check the first two links on Linus' post (the pocketmatrix and doom9).

Or download betaboy's guide from here. (http://www.moosegate.com/betaboy/dcdivx/Encode_DivX_video_for_the_PocketPC.zip)

Playing DVDs on DVD drive is much more fun (compared to playing it on DVD player).

jake080
09-08-2003, 11:01 PM
ok, so i was wrong about the movies 8)
Thanks for correcting me guys!

oh, i know someone that has an early release of the x3, i think its bi wifi! and no cf.

im hoping they will release a maxed out Axim before year end.
~Jake