View Full Version : Considering the iPaq 2215...but needing feedback!

Jon
09-05-2003, 10:43 PM
I am considering the iPaq 2215. I am a self employed businessman who needs help staying organized on the road. I need Outlook, Excel, and Word. I also want to do PowerPoint presentations. I am on a budget.

I might want to use wifi sometimes. If I don't make an allowance for it, I will wish I had it, I know. What are the drawbacks if any with adding the required peripheral for wifi on the 2215.

Talk to me about memory, too. I don't know what is enough or not enough.

Can anybody give their insights on my choice so far? I am not proficient with these PDA's. I have been educating myself by reading and talking to sales clerks.

Thanks!

JustinGTP
09-05-2003, 11:10 PM
Jon,

Things you need to know.

Memory comes in different formats. The HP iPAQ 2215 has two slots for memory and other devices; it has "Secure Digital", commonly referred to as "SD". It also has Compact Flash Type I/II compatability, commonly referred to as "CF".

In your "CF" slot, you can place a "Compact Flash Wireless Card", more information about that <a target="_blank" href="http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=434">
here</a> that fits right into your PDA. But, you need to have a wireless lan (network) set up first, look at this: http://www.linksys.com/products/images/086wcf12cmdiag.jpg</a> ok :wink: (Click on it to go to the page)

Also, you can connect to the internet and email if you have your computer hooked up to it with your PDA in the ActiveSync (Docking Station). This is where you PDA goes when you charge it. I'm sure you know that. When you are out and about, you can get SD and CF devices that can let you access the internet wirelessly, but they cost a bomb and I am not too knowledgeable in that area.

Frontpage Powerpoint

I am trying to find these two programs for the Pocket PC 2003 edition. Right now, no luck :roll: , BUT you can make presentations on your PC at home with Powerpoint and then send them to your device through your wireless network, with the necessary equipment, or through activesync. Then you can get a Pocket Slideshow Viewer that can present the powerpoint document (as there is no program for 2003 yet). View that here (http://www.cnetx.com/slideshow/)

Ok, anything else, let me know.

If I have stated false facts, someone let me know and I will edit the post.

-Justin.

0X

Leo the 3rd
09-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Jon, not sure what your budget is, but here are some of the minimum expenses you'll run into with the 2215:

2215 iPAQ- approx: $399
WiFi card- approx: $69 and up (depending on the card)
SD Memory- approx: $79 for a 256MB SD memory card

Will you need a car charger? If so add for cost up to $30. Will you need a keyboard? You can get one for $99 (less if you shop around on eBay).

Just some cost to consider. I love my iPAQ. I use it mainly as a PIM, wireless email, occassional websurfing. I don't use the multimedia function, listening to music as I use an iPod for that.

Jon
09-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Justin,

I will check out those links and the power point situation.

Thanks! 8)

jgahr
09-05-2003, 11:18 PM
I'll try to help as best as I can. First, if you have been using (abusing) a paper system, anything electronic IMHO will keep the piles down. I switched to the 2215 because of the CF & SDIO slots without a sleeve. I use Agenda Fusion as my Pim (Outlook calendar, contacts, tasks). I really don't use Excel or Word with the 2215, I would much rather use it on my travel laptop, since the format doesn't always translate to what I need. I use Pocket Slides, but you really need a hookup to view it on a larger screen. I use the 2215 in my business as a traveler building data, so I need to stay organized due to timelines, etc. I also use a CF WiFi card, since my home and travel equipment are all wireless and I don't want to carry any more than I already do. I also do Bluetooth GPS for when I have to drive to a site. You could go to the high end of iPaq with a 5550, to get the built in WiFi, it also has a SD card slot (I think), but it is a lot more money. If you are buying retail, in USD, in MN the 2215 + a DLink CF WiFi card, after rebates, etc., would cost around $450. I haven't had any issues with the drivers for this card. I would like to have more internal memory, like 128 mb from PPC Techs, but the internal memory of the 2215, a 256mb SD card are withing reason. I thought I saw prices for the 256 mb SD around $65.00, so you are around $500.00. I also have a 512mb CF card for when I don't use WiFi, for reading on trips, etc. The size of the 2215 is great compared to a sleeved iPaq, it just feels better in the hand. If you go this way, stretch the included case that comes with it, with 2 cassette cases. Those are just about the right size to stretch it out enough to not scratch the sides of your brand new 2215, and still provide protection. Hope that helps, and hope it falls within your budget. Figure out how much you will save with not using paper stuff, drop 1 cup of expresso per day, etc. and your expenditure gets a lot less painful. Since this is a business tool, talk to your accountant about how to write it off, etc.
:mrgreen:

Jon
09-05-2003, 11:39 PM
Leo,

Thanks for the info. That's good stuff.

Jon
09-05-2003, 11:45 PM
jgahr,

Thanks.

You are all giving me a lot to consider which is what I hoped for...the big picture.

Jon
09-05-2003, 11:49 PM
What exactly (besides a projector) would I need to present powerpoint slides?

Jon
09-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Justin,

You fixed that link and I spent some time there. Thanks so much.

The one thing I do not understand is, can I just hook my powerpoint redied 2215 up to a projector and then just go?

JustinGTP
09-05-2003, 11:59 PM
You're welcome with the link,

I have to go to work now, when I come back I will research your question, sorry I don't know about that just right now.

I will find out!!

-Justin.

mashtim
09-06-2003, 12:05 AM
Another option, depending on your budget, is the Toshiba e750 series.

It has WiFi built-in, an SDIO and CF slot built-in, and a nice enough screen. It also comes with a PowerPoint viewer on the CD-ROM, which goes great with the add-on (external) expansion port which allows you to plug right into a monitor or projector (I believe).

jgahr
09-06-2003, 03:15 AM
Jon: do a search on Pocket Margi, allows you to connect to another viewing (larger) option for slides, etc. Better for professional presentations.

ledpocket
09-06-2003, 04:42 AM
The 2215 has a great combination of features. I would go with most of the suggestions mentioned:
-an sd card (at least 256mb)
-cf wifi, sometimes on sale as low as $30 (after rebates)
-get an aftermarket case

If large screen presentations from the ppc are required, you will need a vga out card (like the margi) to get the video to a projector.

Saving your powerpoint slides as jpegs will let you present them with the built in image software.

As for word and excel, you have to be carefull because syncing a desktop file to the ppc will almost always change formatting or strip some advanced features (like no tables in word, sme formulas not supported in pocket excel), but if you are aware of those limitations, you can limit your frustration.

Nice features of the 2215 are the bluetooth, dual slots, small size, 2003 o/s.

I have one, and I am very satisfied.

Jon
09-06-2003, 06:21 AM
Excellent information. Thank you all.

Jon
09-06-2003, 06:39 PM
OK. Mission accomplished. I ordered the 2215. For $398.20 I am getting the car charger as well, all shipped to my door 2nd day FedEx.

As I use this device, I will continue to post on this forum to ask, share, etc.

Thanks so much again for your opinions and insites.

Jon

JustinGTP
09-07-2003, 04:39 AM
Glad to hear it Jon.

You will be amazed with HPs quality, I certainly have over the years with using them! I started using Hewlett Packard products when they didnt have the nickname of HP, and they were good then, and they are getting better.

-Justin.

Jon
09-10-2003, 09:13 PM
Wo-Hoo! Guess what came today via Fed-Ex? I'm 2 hours away from being able to unplug and sync this thing. Really looking forward to setting it up tonight.

JustinGTP
09-10-2003, 11:04 PM
And then you can post on here and learn all about the world of Pocket Pcs!