View Full Version : Question for all the Canadians

dean_shan
09-05-2003, 04:25 PM
In the song "Oh Canada" by Five Iron Frenzy there is somthing I need clarification on.
I think that it is a drag, that you have to go there to get milk in a bag.

Is that true? Can you really get milk in bags?

Jacob
09-05-2003, 04:29 PM
Yup. It's cheaper than in a box I think.

You just buy a jug of sorts (not sure of the term?) that will hold the bag. You cut a hole in the bag and you've "Got Milk".

Jason Dunn
09-05-2003, 04:54 PM
I'm sure you can still get them somewhere, but I haven't seen or bought a bag of milk in years - my family buys the cartons just like everyone else. :wink:

karen
09-05-2003, 06:28 PM
I ALWAYS buy it in bags... First, instead of having a one gallon jug that isntantly contaminated when you open it, you get 3 1 litre bags that you only have to have one open at a time.

Second, you can throw the bags in the freezer and thaw them out overnight.

Third, the bags themselves are really heavy plastic and make great bags for freezing other things. I use them for packing, too.

See this link for pics and an nice description of how it all works:

http://www.perth.igs.net/~ianlloyd/gotmilk.htm

JustinGTP
09-05-2003, 09:55 PM
He, we buy it is Regular 4 Litre jugs. In Canada we use the Metric system, just to let you U.S.A ers know there are other system than just imperial!

-Justin.

0X :lol:

maximus
09-06-2003, 02:40 AM
He, we buy it is Regular 4 Litre jugs. In Canada we use the Metric system, just to let you U.S.A ers know there are other system than just imperial!

Metric ? What is that ?

:mrgreen:

Video11
09-06-2003, 12:39 PM
Yep, milk in plastic bags. You buy one bag that contains three - 1.333Litre bags (for a total of one US gallon). Put the individual bag into a plastic pitcher and cut the corner off the bag and You've Got Milk. Grocery stores usually stock the plastic pitchers right next to the milk.

You can also buy milk in 1 Litre (about a quart) and 2 Litre (2 quart) cartons. Some stores also carry 4L (1 US gallon) plastic jugs, but most use the bags.

Crystal Eitle
09-06-2003, 03:49 PM
The U.S. is behind the times in milk storage. In France you can buy milk in these 1-liter boxes that don't need refrigeration until they're opened. Ideal for single people and those with smaller fridges. Why don't we have those here??!??

Crystal Eitle
09-06-2003, 03:56 PM
EDIT: I think I meant 1/2 liter boxes. Whatever. They're pretty small.

Video11
09-06-2003, 04:21 PM
... In France you can buy milk in these 1-liter boxes that don't need refrigeration until they're opened. ...

We have those here in Canada, but personally we don't buy them. With two little kids we go through milk as fast as we can buy it, so have no need to store milk. Although it might have been handy when the power failed last month. The boxes are a tetra pak, like a juice box. Oh, and I think they are 1L boxes (about a quart). Pretty neat idea.

Mike Temporale
09-07-2003, 03:59 AM
With two little kids we go through milk as fast as we can buy it,

I have 1 kid, and between her and my wife, we go through milk like it's water. I just got back from the store. Special run to pick up 2 4 litre jugs. Those will be done by Tuesday night.

Oh, and I don't drink the stuff. It doesn't agree with me. :oops:

But we have it all, Cartons, bags, jugs.

Kati Compton
09-07-2003, 04:25 AM
As far as I'm aware, it's regional in Canada whether or not it's in bags vs. the US-style containers. Though I think the cartons are available everywhere.

GoldKey
09-07-2003, 04:29 AM
At least in my part of the US, I have not seen a 1/2 gallon carton in years, except for egg nog/chocolate milk and the soy milk products. Regular milk is in jugs.

Janak Parekh
09-07-2003, 04:30 AM
At least in my part of the US, I have not seen a 1/2 gallon carton in years, except for egg nog/chocolate milk and the soy milk products. Regular milk is in jugs.
Really? 8O I thought cartons were as common as jugs in the US; they certainly are in the NY metro area. I know we alternate at home depending on how many people are around to consume milk.

--janak

dean_shan
09-07-2003, 05:07 AM
In Canada we use the Metric system, just to let you U.S.A ers know there are other system than just imperial!

Metric? Is that the thing I use in science class? Is that the system where it is easy to convert units? :wink:

dean_shan
09-07-2003, 05:08 AM

We have the cartons in Alaska but only the only people that buy it is the city folks.

GoldKey
09-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Really? 8O I thought cartons were as common as jugs in the US; they certainly are in the NY metro area. I know we alternate at home depending on how many people are around to consume milk.

--janak

Sorry, I was not really clear with my thought. We do have half gallons, they just come in jugs like the gallons do. 1/2 gallon cartons of regular milk is what we dont see.

Janak Parekh
09-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Sorry, I was not really clear with my thought. We do have half gallons, they just come in jugs like the gallons do. 1/2 gallon cartons of regular milk is what we dont see.
No, you were perfectly clear. :) You can get both half-gallon jugs and cartons here, as well as the 1-gallon jugs. Cartons are fairly common, in fact.

--janak

Bruno Figueiredo
09-12-2003, 02:08 PM
In Portugal we have all kinds of packages for milk. We have the daily milk (only holds up 3 days) in plastic bags, cartons and glass (1lt) and 1/4lt glass. We have ultra-pasteurized milk (that holds up 3 months), which is the most popular one, in cartons (1lt and 1/5lt) and plastic bottles (1,5lt).

In europe we don't have those big packages like yours. 4lts of milk? That must be a pain to pour on a glass...

For reference, 1lt of daily milk is about 0,75€ ( about $0,80 ) and 1lt plain about 0,35€ ( about $0,38 ), and 1lt premium the same as daily.

Is yours cheaper or about the same?

Kati Compton
09-12-2003, 03:05 PM
About $3/gallon here last I looked... but I don't do the shopping so I could be wrong. That's the non-sale price.

ctmagnus
03-31-2004, 08:10 AM
This thread is kinda old, but...

I haven't see the bags here in years! I've ssen them elsewhere but there not available here anymore.