View Full Version : USB Hub recommendations?

dave
09-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Hey now -

i am in need of a USB hub. i had given up on the hub concept, which was possible working on a desktop pc with 4 USB ports, but now i am using a laptop which has a port replicator with only 1 USB port.

I currently have DLink hub (probably 2-3 years old) that is powered, but it still seems to die just about everytime i print on my USB HP LaserJet 1000 (which has its own power cord) or try to activesync more than the slightest amount of data.

I was reading Jason's post on the IOGear minihub, and almost pulled the trigger, but thought i would post here to see if anyone has any experience with this or any other hub that would sway my decision.

Size of the device is not really of any concern. I also don't care if it is USB 1.1 or 2.0. I just want the dang thing to work. and by work i mean not conk out on my when i am actually trying to use one of my USB devices.

thanks in advance for your thoughts....

dave

Jason Dunn
09-05-2003, 05:10 PM
FWIW, I had a D-Link 7 port USB hub, and I went through FOUR of them - I normally like D-Link's stuff, but their USB hubs (at least that model) are pretty crappy.

gohtor
09-05-2003, 05:14 PM
get one with optional power supply. some devices you may run will drain too much off the usb. secondly look for 2.0 if you plan on connecting devices like harddrive and webcam.

if size is a concern, leave that as your third criteria.

I think the iogear one satisfies all of the above criterias. (can't remember if they have a power cable)

Jason Dunn
09-05-2003, 05:45 PM
get one with optional power supply. some devices you may run will drain too much off the usb.

His hub is already powered, but it's a D-Link, and even when I had the hub powered (always) it would still die.

tal-max
09-07-2003, 07:17 AM
Hi everyone,

I am a relative newbie with regards to USB hubs and I am having problems with my Belkin USB Hub (2.0, 4 port). I plug my USB hub in and confirm it is powered but after connecting it to one of my PC's USB ports I am unable to get my computer to recognise that a USB Hub is installed, rather an "Unknown Device" or worse still no device shows.

With any other hardware I would just run the driver software and the System Properties would "get the hint" about the device I'm installing. However, I can't do this with the Hub as there is no driver.

The hardware is fine as it runs on other computers and when I can eventually get it to work (a process I can never remember - chance, I think! :wink: ), it eventually stops working after an "Improper Removal of Hardware" warning.

Any bright ideas? :?:

Aaron.

bdeli
09-07-2003, 05:49 PM
I have a D-Link 4 port usb hub (DSB-H4) which can either be powered by itself or else directly from the usb port on my laptop. I have 4 devices attached to it - Laserjet 1000, Webcam, Wireless Intellimouse Explorer and XTND IR receiver. I was having the same problems you mentioned when I plugged in my Wacom Intuos 2 Tablet. Removing it solved the problem and is now directly fixed to a usb port on my laptop.

I would uninstall the usb hub + devices and try installing your usb devices one by one and see what happens - start from the printer since it takes most of the power.

GoldKey
09-07-2003, 06:35 PM
tal-max

Probably a stupid question, but what OS are you running?

dave
09-07-2003, 10:25 PM
xp pro. windows update current.

tal-max
09-08-2003, 12:48 PM
tal-max

Probably a stupid question, but what OS are you running?

WinMe on a Pentium III 866MHz.

Aaron.