View Full Version : ActiveSync Problems

tvalentin
09-05-2003, 03:11 AM
So far i've always been lucky in that in 8 month of having my hp 5450 i've never had any major problems with activesync but this week i guess i got my dues. Up untill tis week everything was working fine. The only things that have changed are: My ipaq had a mystery hard reset over the weekend, so all my old setting were lost; and i connected a few extra usb connector onto the motherboard.

Now when i connect my ipaq to the cradle the ipaq makes as though it is connecting and pops up the window that says it is authenticated and connected. However on my desktop the activesync window just sticks at the 'connecting...' prompt.

I have tried connecting with serial as well as usb, an even tried a bluetooth connection. However nothing seems to change the fact that the conection won't even get as far as selecting guest vs partnership.

I've disconnected the usb port i added, just on the off chance that that was the problem. But no joy.

Anyone any ideas?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Tom

Jereboam
09-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Hey Tom,

Try disabling all the power management for all your USB ports...I had similar problems with USB syncing with my laptop, discovered that Sony had been cheap and had wired multiple USB ports into one actual USB port, and that it wasn't supplying enough power to maintain a good USB connection. Disabling power management seemed to help a lot, but ultimately I went for Activesync over wifi, which is 100% every time, and much quicker to boot.

Also try killing and restarting Activesync on your PC...shut down the wcescomm and wcemngr (spelling may not be exact, at a different computer now, but you should be able to work that out) from task manager and then run it again, see if it connects properly. I have had issues where Activesync actually synced OK, just didn't show anything on the PC...similar to what you say about being "stuck".

Basically, Activesync truly stinks for connectivity...roll on Longhorn, let's see if they made any improvements.

J

tvalentin
09-05-2003, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the tips Jereboam.

Unfortunately i tried disabling the power management for USB ports in device manager, but this didn't help the problem.

As for sync over wifi, i can't seem to get that to work without first establishing the partnership locally. It there a way to tell the ppc which computer to sync to without using a cradle?

Jereboam
09-05-2003, 09:01 PM
Ah well...to sync over wifi or Bluetooth generally requires that you have synced at least once with a cable...so that would be a problem.

When I set up wifi, there was a dropdown list in Activesync on the PPC that had the two names of the computers on my wifi network...I chose my laptop name and that was it - pretty easy. But I would think that unless you have synced once with a cable those names won't show up, and as far as I know there is no way to manually specify them...

Have you tried reinstalling Activesync itself? Also, have you checked your firewall settings, if you have one? It may be blocking the required ports, a Google should give you the exact port numbers and protocols...

Other than that I'm running out of ideas... :?

J

Steven Cedrone
09-05-2003, 09:11 PM
Well, at least you still have your data... :wink:

When you added the USB ports to your motherboard, did you load new drivers???

If you are running XP, remove the USB ports again and use "System Restore" feature to restore your system to a point a few days prior to this "disaster" taking place...

Or else:

Try to remove ActiveSync (every trace of it) and any thing you loaded to get the Ipaq recognised by your system...

Then start from scratch (Use the software that came with the Ipaq), follow the directions as if you just purchased the Ipaq (just don't wipe out Outlook or your old "Pocket PC My Documents")...

That's about all I can think of doing...

Steve