View Full Version : Upgrade Dell Axim 2002 to 2003 possible?

rjtrede
09-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Hi... I have a Dell Axim with the 2002 OS (the 64 mb model)... Now that the 2003 OS has been released, I would like to upgrade if possible. An article I found suggested the hardware manufacturer (Dell in this case) would supply any upgrade if it exists... I wrote the tech support but they never replied. (What a shock... Dell support is ususally so responsive... NOT!) ... Anyway, does anyone know of an upgrade patch Dell provides?

Thanks everyone!

AntwanS
09-04-2003, 11:35 PM
You cannot just download the upgrade to WM2003. Either you have to buy it from the online Dell store or if your purchased your Axim before a certain date you'll be able to get the upgrade for free (if it still is possible, don't blame me if it isn't :wink: (check the Dell Forum for more info about that subject)). Good luck with it...

ps: I went to WM2003 but I had quite a few troubles with that OS version so I went back to PPC2002.

Kevin C. Tofel
09-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Last post is correct....if you haven't bought your Axim in the last 2 months, you will have to shell out about $33 for the upgrade. Considering that Microsoft charges the OEM's (Original Equipment Manufacturers) a licence fee, the cost is not too bad. The real issue is that Dell has to take the new OS and "tweak" it for their hardware.....there have been some issues there and the upgrade has been delayed for several weeks.

Good luck,
KCT

lmtuxinc
09-05-2003, 05:46 AM
I installed 2003 on my axim also, and while activesync and installing programs was much faster, the constant freezing and soft resets that happened made me revert to 2002. 2003 also did some very strange things to the system sound events. it would not play the sounds assigned to startup (which you cant unassign) and activesync connect & disconnect (which would only play when i pushed the coresponding buttons in ppc activesync).

AntwanS
09-05-2003, 07:08 AM
So there we go again; "Newer does not allways means that is better...."

I rest my case. :wink:

SlimDady
09-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Hi... I have a Dell Axim with the 2002 OS (the 64 mb model)... Now that the 2003 OS has been released, I would like to upgrade if possible. An article I found suggested the hardware manufacturer (Dell in this case) would supply any upgrade if it exists... I wrote the tech support but they never replied. (What a shock... Dell support is ususally so responsive... NOT!) ... Anyway, does anyone know of an upgrade patch Dell provides?

Thanks everyone!

there is a way to upgrade but its illeagle