View Full Version : No consistent Help in PPC progs?

terrypin
09-04-2003, 03:27 PM
As a new user, trialing a lot of PPC SW, it seems that it's a matter of chance as to whether I'll find any Help, and where I'll find it. With some programs, once they are active I am able to tap Start > Help and get some useful advice as to how to use the program. With others, nothing. And with many, the Help entry in bar at bottom has only an About item in its menu. Sometimes of course, help is accessible, but it's somewhere else in my growing file structure, as TXT or HTM, or even on the desktop PC...

Is there an established standard?

Newcomer to PPC, using iPAQ 2210 (PPC 2003).

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Jason Dunn
09-04-2003, 03:41 PM
Just like the desktop Windows platform, there will be developer who follow established guidelines, and others that don't. If you want to look at applications where developers follow these guidelines, look for this logo at places like Handango and PocketGear:

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/logo.gif

famousdavis
09-04-2003, 10:37 PM
Ummm... Jason? I don't see any logo...does anyone else?

Steven Cedrone
09-05-2003, 03:49 AM
I see it...

Steve

darrylb
09-09-2003, 05:03 AM
Just like the desktop Windows platform, there will be developer who follow established guidelines, and others that don't. If you want to look at applications where developers follow these guidelines, look for this logo at places like Handango and PocketGear:

That is of course unless you ar programming in .Net - in which case you cant because you cant catch the help event :roll: - unless you write a C++ dll

Fortunately MS have relaxed restrictions on the certification program to cater for this. In this case there should be a Help -> Help option in the application.