View Full Version : iPAQ GSM/GPRS Sleeve With h5450 - Brief Review

Pocket PC Dubai
09-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Introduction:

I would like to share my thoughts I wrote a quick review about iPAQ’s GSM/GPRS sleeve. This sleeve could be considered as part of the past, and currently I don’t see many articles or discussion about it so consider this as a refreshing brief review. :)

http://www.c1au.com/gprssleeve/gprs1.jpg

Package Contents: Wireless Pack, software CD & headset.

http://www.c1au.com/gprssleeve/box.gif

Last week I got the sleeve, it is a used one just for me to test it for one or two weeks. When I connected the sleeve it worked with my h5450 and loaded the software successfully, I’m glad the new ROM: 1.11.19 provided support for this module, however the “Wake-Up” option did not work! My iPAQ screen will be always turned ON. I downloaded this patch (Build 884) it is NOT the official release though. You must follow the correct installation procedure; do the soft resets when it tells you so. This update took about 45 minutes to complete! 8O If you have the sleeve and want to update it here's the patch: http://intef.net/wp-patch/WPS_1.0a81_884.rar (thanks to Suominen Juha)

But before you do!! Read this comment from one of HP’s representatives (Sean Veira):

“Please note that the file is an unreleased and unauthorized beta firmware update. HP engineer have been working a proper firmware release and once they are finished testing it, it will be released to the general public. With all that in mind, HP would just like to inform you that HP do not support this beta version and that one installs it at their own risk. As always HP recommends that one waits for the official "fixed" build to be released. Thank you.”

Actually it works 100% I will not wait for another 6 months or so??? So I took the beta fix! However I’m not sure how they obtained a copy of it. :wink:

Click on the link below for specifications and product details: *
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/...a/10903_na.HTML

The Form Factor:

Apparently the sleeve was well thought out and nicely designed. I like the idea of having the microphone and speaker on the opposite side so you can avoid accidentally your ears taping on the screen, you don’t have to worry about body grease anymore. :lol:

Operation:

With this latest patch I believe the sleeve is reliable, I’m using it extensively everyday wherever I go. You rarely need to soft reset. You can run many applications and wireless features plus connecting iPAQ foldable keyboard with no problems at all. Using the Voice Center is proved to be very easy, I like changing the skin of the dialer and voice center, and you can even create your own skin! Cool! I became addicted to SMS messaging; it is so easy and fun from the Pocket PC. The buttons are separated nicely you can dial by taping with your finger I also use the keypad lock option, very useful; I don’t worry about finger prints since I am using WriteSHIELD screen protector. You can change ring tones by placing selected WAV files in windows directory, plus there is an option to assign a vibrator included in the sleeve which works in different settings as you can adjust the vibration speed. I never missed a call; however it is worth mentioning that auto-awaking feature takes approximately 5 seconds for iPAQ to start ringing. However if you receive many business calls and you cannot afford missing any call this is point to consider. You might find it a bit annoying using it outdoors under the sun, here the reflective screen comes handy, but it is not that bad, actually iPAQ screen is stunning indoors. So I can live with that!

With many applications loaded in my h5450 I didn’t see any problems with the sleeve attached to my iPAQ, except for the following:

Battery Pack 2003 V5.1.1: The battery bar will show both batteries, however the status of the expansion pack battery is always showing “Chrg”.

Sprite Pocket Backup Plus 2.0.1: I always schedule daily midnight backup, leaving the wireless pack attached will result in a conflict when installing the sleeve back again after restoring all application, in this case I needed to hard reset and load all applications manually. If you don’t keep the wireless pack attached while backing up you won’t have this problem.

What’s Hot:

The best feature of the sleeve is the capability of auto-awaking when a phone call is received. I tested the GPRS connection also, I was surfing the internet and I set my Pocket Inbox to check for emails every 15 minutes with no problems at all, I left my iPAQ for a while, after sometime I switched it ON and here I am still connected, in some rare cases you might get disconnected, but this can be overlooked. Another great feature of the sleeve is the rechargeable 1000mAH integrated battery and Tri-band functionality. Plus, the GSM/GPRS sleeve needs no software installation from the PC, once it is inserted into the iPAQ the software automatically will detect what region you are in, it will then load onto the iPAQ and make a connection with the sleeve and run the software off the GSM/GPRS sleeve itself.

The Wireless Pack proved to be reliable in many situations; it will search for a signal every few seconds if there is no coverage. Other Phone Edition Devices would hang in this situation, especially when you travel and you lose signal in some areas. Plus the signal reception is more powerful than my T68i. I would like to mention also, you can receive calls by immediately pressing once on the hardware button located on the back of the sleeve, The ON/OFF button, which comes handy.

What’s Not:

1. It is NOT compatible with WM2003, HP has no plans at this stage to support the GPRS Sleeve under PPC 2003. This means that if you happen to upgrade your iPAQ 5450, 39xx, or 38xx to PPC 2003, it will “NOT” work with the GPRS Sleeve. The 5550 also comes with PPC 2003, so again, the GPRS Sleeve will “NOT” be supported for this.

2. From what I’ve gathered, the pack does not support Bluetooth headsets (even though the host iPAQ does). According to HP, the headset is not supported on the Wireless Pack as the Bluetooth headset technology was introduced after the functional design phase of the Wireless Pack was completed.

3. No support for FAX, more details below.

4. Expensive, the $399.00 cost is hard to swallow.

Battery Performance

The battery performance depends on the way you use your device and the applications loaded so the results may vary. Initially I thought the main battery in iPAQ is charging the Wireless Pack! Because the main battery drained down much faster, I also remember I didn’t make many phone calls that day. I was thinking it is similar when using the CF Plus Expansion Pack with 38xx/39xx series iPAQ! The CF+'s battery would drain down first, supplying power to both the iPAQ and the CF card, and then once it was gone the main battery would start to drain. Unfortunately, this is not the case with the iPAQ h5xxx series, I confirmed that this behavior has changed in the 5xxx units, which only allows the CF+'s battery to power the CF slot. Then this behavior should mirror my iPAQ with Wireless Pack attached to it.

Again I observed from the battery indicator that batteries were really acting independently, I hope HP will think about providing a new version of ROM to address this issue.

Wireless Pack Does Not Support Fax

I was trying to setup KSE Truefax to use it with GSM/GPRS Sleeve but with no success, I emailed KSE support for this matter and here is their reply:

Dear Customer,

Unfortunately KSE Truefax does not work with the Wireless Pack.

HP has not included all fax commands into the GPRS/GSM-Modem. Because of this, the fax commands which are sent by KSE Truefax 2.0 are emulated and a time loss occurs. HP has not tested the fax functionality of the Wireless Jacket and on their website they do not mention that fax is supported with the Wireless Pack.

Right now you can only use KSE Truefax with the IR- or Bluetooth-Modem of your mobile phone or via a separate supported modem card, which supports fax class 1 and/or fax class 2.

Please also see the following email from HP:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Martina,
Thanks for the mail. We have openly stated that the Wireless Pack does not support FAX - full-stop. It was not developed to do so.
We can definitely put something on the iPAQ SW Choice site - next to Truefax software to this effect.

Regards
Product Manager - Handhelds and Wireless LAN Products
----------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
KSE Software

Martina

I was disappointed, I won’t be able to use this great application, hp would’ve thought about doing something long time ago, that’s why I am not optimistic they will in the future. :(

Conclusion:

The iPAQ h5450 with the Wireless Pack makes a very exciting and powerful combo the sleeve does the job for what it was designed to do; I like the functionality of the PDA + Phone concept. Is it worth it to spend nearly $399 for this solution in addition to the price of your h5450??? That’s about $1000. In my opinion “NO”. With almost half that price you can get a decent Pocket PC Phone Edition device such as an XDA that has better OS integration for phone features. Another main reason is lack of support for this device, it seems to me that the wireless pack is dead in HP's plans, But that’s not such a bad thing I believe HP are working hard for a better solution planned for 2004. As far as I know the Wireless LAN in the iPAQ 5450 is a separate module. So the GSM/GPRS version might be planned to have a GSM/GPRS Module instead of the Wireless LAN Module in it. To be GSM ready just by changing this module, they also put a SIM reader in the h5450. I’m not sure but I remember reading about customer complaints when the first h5450 iPAQ’s where sold with the Pocket PC Phone Edition! This could be true but what is more convincing to me is having the SIM reader and the placement of the microphone and speaker all gives me the idea that the iPAQ with built-in GSM/GPRS will see the light. :)

* "HP removed the link, you will find the specs below"

Specifications:

Air interface:
GSM/GPRS

Operation:
Tri-band—EGSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900

GSM:
GSM Phase 2 + voice, data, SMS, ALS, SS, USSD to ETSI SMG31 recommendations

GPRS:
GPRS Class B, Type 1 GPRS MT, Multi-slot Class 10
GPRS session management (SNDCP)—seven connections, V.42bis, and TCP/IP header compression
PPP, PPP authentication (PAP and CHAP), 16-bit PPP FCS

Operating system support:
Microsoft® Windows for Pocket PC 2000 or 2002. ROM version 1.69 or higher.

Size:
< 3 cm thick, including basic device

Weight:
< 6 ounces (166 g)

Power:
1000mAH integrated battery (rechargeable with Compaq iPAQ AC adapter)
180 hours of standby time; four hours of talk time, depending on network/carrier conditions

SIM support:
3.3V and dual (3.3V and 5V); GSM 11.11.12 compliant

GSM support:
GSM transparent (T)
GSM non-transparent (NT) data transmission using Radio Link Protocol (RLP) error correction.
V.42bis data compression for GSM NT data
Enhanced AT command set to GSM 07.07 and 07.05
SMS for GSM and GPRS, for both mobile-originated and mobile-terminated SMS
Unrestricted digital information (UDI), V.110 rate adaption support for GSM data
Full rate and enhanced full rate vocoder support

Phase 2 supplementary service support:
Unstructured Supplementary Services Data (USSD) support
Plus caller line identification, call hold/call wait, call bar, call divert

GPRS support:
Coding schemes: CS1, CS2, CS3, and CS4
Class B GPRS (simultaneous attach to GSM and GPRS, operation on one at a time)
Simultaneous GPRS data and mobile terminated SMS
PPP protocol for GPRS packet switched data
Extended dynamic allocation support per GSM 03.64, section 4.7.3.1.1
Split paging cycle support on CCCH per GSM 04.08, section 4.7.3.1.1
Type 1 GPRS (no simultaneous transmit and receive)
GPRS phase 1 per ETSI/3GPP specifications

SIM:
Micro SIM access (from the top)
SIM standards, Phase 1, 2, 2+, CPHS
SIM Application Toolkit, release 98/99

MS power class:
MS power class 1 (one watt) operation for GSM1800/1900
MS power class 4 (two watts) operation for GSM900

Gavin Henriques
09-04-2003, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the review. :D That was grrreat!! I have been wondering how that pack worked with the 5000 series. How is the speakerphone function? Or does it have one? :?

Pocket PC Dubai
09-05-2003, 09:14 AM
Actually it doesn’t have a speaker phone function. With the Wireless Pack attached to my iPAQ it became quite a brick, that’s why I think speakerphone is a must, by just leaving your iPAQ on the desk and you work and talk in the same time. If you want an alternative you can use the provided headset.

Pocket PC Dubai
09-08-2003, 08:16 AM
Before I return the Wireless Pack I decided to give it further GPRS testing. Basically I wanted to check the reliability of the Internet connection using my h5450. From time to time the speed will peak up to 40 kb/s, though it doesn’t maintain this speed, intermittently it slows down to a point that you won’t be able to surf or check your email. Reconnecting will not help; you’ll need to soft reset.

The Wireless Pack can maintain the connection even if the screen is switched OFF, but lately I noticed most of the time I’m getting disconnected. In general the GPRS cannot be maintained all the time, perhaps something has to do with the auto-awaking feature that interrupts the connection. But this is not always the case; in any situation you cannot have GPRS connection “always ON” using the Wireless Pack. To me this is a major problem. My Pocket PC should be always connected! For now I’m back to my previous Bluetooth setup: h5450 <<RVGSM>> T68i, anticipating XDA II :roll:

I think the Wireless Pack will serve you better with voice than GPRS

Just my thoughts :wink:

anthonymaw
12-27-2003, 07:45 PM
Hi: This GSM/GPRS sleeve is now being offered for $295USD at BestOptions.com and I'm thinking of getting it. Do you think it's a good deal at that price?

Pocket PC Dubai
12-27-2003, 07:54 PM
it is not worth it, for a $295USD you can buy a pda

Janak Parekh
12-27-2003, 08:20 PM
The fact that it's also not WM2003 compatible really makes it of limited utility. I would also choose from the many alternatives (e.g., Bluetooth phone, corded phone, CF card, PPCPE, etc.)

--janak

Pocket PC Dubai
12-28-2003, 09:11 AM
I agree with Janak, I think the GSM/GPRS sleeve is currently not the best solution to turn your iPAQ into a phone. I perfer this solution instead and it is up to you to decide ;)

iPAQ PC Card Plus Expansion Pack (http://h30143.www3.hp.com/images/options/ACF63.jpg), you will find specifications here (http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11380_div/11380_div.HTML)
Globe Trotter GSM/GPRS PC Cards (Tri-Band) (http://www.option.be/products/2_1_1_specifications.shtml)
Running Voice GSM (http://www.pocketpresence.com/rvgsm.asp), you can buy it from handango here (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_2_2&jid=CCB232B6448DXX221B4AXA9FF3XB117F&platformId=2&siteId=1&productId=32692&sectionId=0&catalog=30&txtSearch=running+voice+gsm)

anthonymaw
12-29-2003, 08:22 AM
Hi. Yeah but the suggested combination of the PCMCIA sleeve AND the GSM PC card will be much more expensive. (even though I already have the older style PCMCIA sleeve with integrated 1000 mAH battery) I also looked at the Audiovox RTM-8000 tri-band GSM CF card option as well and that would be my second choice. I don't like the idea of two devices if I can at all avoid it. Anybody have thoughts on the Audiovox CF card solution?