View Full Version : ipaq 2210 wont turn on unless

busterz
09-03-2003, 09:59 PM
Hi guyz,, had a 2210 for 4 days now ,, last night I took it out of the cradle and noticed that the charging lite was still on ,, strange I thought untill I got it downstairs, yup it wouldnt turn on :(

Anyway, I pressed the soft reset button in and back on it came, and when I turned it off, it wouldnt come back on unless I pressed the reset button in. After many hard resets it apears to be ok now, though, ime still worried that it may be broke.
Has it happened to anyone else or ??? and what did you do to rectify it ?

And has anyone noticed that active sync is a bit broke , because when you transfer a 43mb + file it keeps resetting itself back to the start even though it does transfer the file,, strange.

Busterz

busterz
09-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Well its done it again :?
I noticed that active sync had stopped responding and when I took it out of the cradle, you guessed it, charging lite on and dead , however a soft reset and shes back. You dont think it could be a program ? ill try running it from a full reset, with nothing installed and see what happens, if it continues this way ime taking it back for a replacement.

Busterz

rpommier
09-04-2003, 01:43 AM
Keep us posted, mine is doing that also... I believe it has something to do with the back light settings. Everyday mine will do that for something, either when I take it off the cradle from charging, which I have the backlight go off after 3min. Or if I let the backlight go off while off the charger. The setting for that is 1min.

I'll play around tonight and see if I can get some consistancy... I thought it was only me...

midili
09-04-2003, 02:43 PM
what additional programs have you loaded? I have the same problem on my 2210 when I run TomTom Navigator and don't close the program before I turn off the device. And by 'close' I mean remove from memory.

Sometimes I've also noticed that if my BT radio is on when I turn off the device I might have to soft reset to get started again.

Jeff

rpommier
09-04-2003, 07:37 PM
I have Battery Pack 2003 5.1 installed and thought that could be the problem. It's happened since unistalling it too, so that wasn't it.

Funny thing is that it didin't happen until I did a hard-reset recently... It never happened on my 'Factory Fresh', 2210

I still think it has something to do with the backlight...

superkev
09-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Hi
I too have this problem where a reset is required to strat the 2210 after I have switched off after useding Tom-Tom Blue tooth GPS.
I think it is somthing to do with the PDA trying to fing the blue tooth radio which may have switched off or be out of range (my range is only about 2m).
Ive also sufferd total data loss after one of these resets when the 2210 reverted to its factory condition. I wonder if this was due to the BT radio turning on the 2210 and discharging the batts. The default BT 2210 setting is to allow other devices to find and connect.
Any help appriecited
Kev

Chris Spera
09-04-2003, 11:42 PM
I am looking at TTN BlueTooth for another site.

I have reported this particular problem to TomTom and they are currently looking at it. This is, I think, an issue with their GPS Driver when the TomTom Wireless GPS Receiver is selected. The driver doesn't want to give up the reciever.

When you turn the receiver off, or try to run the program without the reciever present (which you should be able to do, BTW), Navigator has a great deal of trouble. The program becomes highly unstable. The BT radio/ stack often crashes and hangs the machine. Navigator often closes of its own accord, no where to be found, or errors out with a address and off-set dialog.

TomTom is currently working on this issue, as I write this, and has been for some time.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

busterz
09-05-2003, 02:03 AM
ok it still has the problem from a full reset, and I now have a different 2210 after taking the other 1 back and still the same probs :cry:

However I have found that active sync when uninstalled will, kill my user profile in XP with lots of dcom errors (no it aint the blaster worm) restoring to a point just before, fixes it, and this problem microsoft must know about. maybe fixed in 3.8 :D

Plus I have found that if I leave the 2210 in the cradle while booting up the pc, I get a stall at the bios prompt sometimes , hopefully this will be fixed with a new bios upgrade or maybe a prob with the cradle ?

using an MSI 875p neo motherboard...

Buster

MarcoPolo
09-05-2003, 09:38 PM
There is a GPS v2.08 download on the TomTom website with the following statment.

"GPS version 2.08 fixes an issue in Windows Mobile 2003 running on iPAQ's where the iPAQ cannot be switched on after switching it off whilst a Bluetooth connection is open with Bluetooth GPS receivers."

I have also heard that this is a wider issue that goes beyond TomTom Navigator. It seems that it could be to do with the implementation of Bluetooth/communications in a Windows Mobile 2003 on a number of devices. My 2215 suffered some of the issues in this thread and I tried the following to at least settle it down. As far as I can tell, TomTom are the first to acknowledge and fix this problem. A problem that may not be entirely down to them to begin with, from what I am finding.

I tried a brand new install of everything while no other applications were running on the iPAQ. I installed latest version of Navigator (2.24) and GPS (2.08) from tomtom.com. I also installed by copying the CAB files to the iPAQ and running them from there and installed them in the following order: Navigator, voice then GPS. GPS last as it seems to purposely initiate a reset of the iPAQ.

What I have also read elsewhere and noticed about my Pocket PC is the following. Bluetooth under WM 2003 is too insistent on proactively activating associations between the Pocket PC and other communication devices. If you use software configured to access a com port used by a Bluetooth association the BT manager in the system will insist on opening that port, whether you want it to or not. This happens even if you've turned the radio off on the Windows Mobile device. What’s more, I can’t find any setting within the Bluetooth Manager or BT Settings that allows me the user to switch off or override this automatic element of Bluetooth.

Sparkomatic
09-06-2003, 12:40 AM
I have the same problem with my PPC. And, I'm not using Tom Tom or bluetooth. At first, I have BT turned on and thought that was the problem. I'd notice that the BT light was on but when I tried to turn on my PPC, I would have to soft reset. Since then, I've turn BT off but every once in a while, I have to soft reset. I'm thinking it's a program loaded on my PPC? Everything is *supposedly* WM2003 compatible though. Here's what's on my device:

PI 4.5
Trip Tracker
Vehicle Manager
Cool Calc
WisBar Advance
Code Wallet Pro
Cleaner
Resco File Explorer
Bounce Symphony
Battleship
Gamebox Solitaire
Calligrapher
Owner InfoX
Pocket Backup Plus

Anyone else using one of these programs and having the same problems? Oh yeah, my PPC will sometimes turn on for no reason at all. No alarms or programs open, the thing just turns on and then turns off after a minute (what it's set at).

drosenth
09-06-2003, 01:40 AM
SAME problem! UGH! What I have found is that the unit appears to be "running" but with the screen off. I have to do a soft reset to get it back. The reason I know it is running is because if I let it go for a number of hours, when I turn it on the battery is WAY down. Yesterday it ran down completely. I run:

Laridian
Dashboard
Calligraher
PI
VNC
WLAN for Linksys (beta version)
Startap
GIgabar

What I am going to do is hard reset my device, since I still have my Jornada, and not load any applications. I'll run it for a while to see if I can find the problem. If no problem exists, I'll add applications over time. This is CRAZY. If anyone knows what the fix is, please post or e-mail me directly. This is NUTS!

Thanks all,
DaveR

Sparkomatic
09-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Dave,

We are having the exact same problem. The only two apps we have in common though are PI And Calligrapher.

I know exactly what you mean. It's like the PPC is stuck on a process but the screen just turns off. After a soft reset, the battery level is way low. It's gotta be something! What build are you on? I'm on version 4.20.1081 (build 13100).

drosenth
09-06-2003, 02:48 AM
Sparkomatic,

My build is 4.20.1081 (build 13100) - identical to yours.

After re-reading the first couple of posts, it looks like a hard-reset won't help. It will most likely do it w/o any applications loaded. I will still try it, but I don't have a lot of hope.

My unit was received directly from HP, so I am going to contact my representative and work it from the inside as well. I cannot believe this is happening - NOT GOOD!

Hang in there and keep us posted,
DaveR

superkev
09-06-2003, 01:53 PM
Hi
I lost all my data when the 2215 with this bug - only have TOM TOM GPS installed - must be this. As ypou report the unit runs discharging the batt with the screen off until reset.
TomTom big dissapointment (No UK postrcodes) wish id have got the navman.
Kev

busterz
09-06-2003, 03:30 PM
hmmm... I too have pi (build 04.20.13100) and Calligraher(build 6.135.0811) installed, maybe it could be these progs what are causing the probs..
Theres no way its the 2210 because this is my 3rd because the 1 I got yesterday had a few dead pixels, so I got it changed, this 1 appears to be ok even though still has the same bug, as in wont turn on unless reset sometimes. Plus have you noticed how pi can sometimes freeze the 2210!!

Busterz

busterz
09-06-2003, 03:33 PM
lol no sooner do I check the build No's, when it freezes after turning the screen off, requiring a reset lol :lol:

busterz

Sparkomatic
09-06-2003, 04:49 PM
I don't think it's the unit either because this is my second one (the first had a bad pixel). Maybe it is PI or Calligrapher? Once again last night, it did the same thing and completely drained the battery. This is the third time it's done this. :evil: I have to make sure I always charge it at night to avoid running the battery completely down.

PI 4.5.10 (POOM v 04.20.13100)
Calligrapher 6.5.2 (Build 6.131.0620)

Maybe it's a combo of the two??

busterz
09-06-2003, 05:14 PM
:wink: sorted :wink:

Its pocket informant, its causing the lockups when going into standby, I ran it 8 times let the 2210 go into standby froze 3 times..

I also ran Calligrapher 8 times also same test , everytime came out of standby ok :lol:

Busterz

Sparkomatic
09-06-2003, 06:42 PM
How about when you run PI and turn off the PPC manually without letting it go into standby? Just curious. I don't think it's ever locked-up on me when I manually power off, only when let it go into standby.

busterz
09-06-2003, 07:01 PM
Think what would happen if you had input a fair amount of data in PI, only to leave it for a bit , maybe because some1 wanted you or ? by the time you got back to it standby and all that data lost...

Think I would rather try something else,, pity though...

Busterz

Sparkomatic
09-06-2003, 07:48 PM
I think I'm going to send an e-mail to Alex and the team at PI. They have always been very responsive. Maybe they know something about it or can test to see if it is PI or not.

rpommier
09-07-2003, 05:08 AM
Good detective work... I too have PI 4.5.1 installed, is Webis aware?

Inkog
09-07-2003, 11:25 AM
It turned out to be caused by the Bluetooth headset profile registry hack. If you did this hack to enable the headset profile, change the driver back to the default and soft reset.

Sparkomatic
09-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Hmmm... Even more interesting. I never used that registry hack.

drosenth
09-07-2003, 08:41 PM
Well, have hard reset my device and loaded my apps back w/o PI. I'll run this way for a week, then load PI. For now my applications are:

Laridian
Dashboard
Calligraher
VNC
Startap
GIgabar

I left off both PI and the Linksys WLAN beta drivers, since hopefully they will be out soon and I will use the production version. So far no issues. I am now reloading my pocket outlook data, so this test will tell if PI is the culprit.

Thanks - I'll keep all posted. I figure it's not just PI, but something PI (and some other apps) have in common.

Thanks all,
Dave

Sparkomatic
09-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Thanks for testing. I'm thinking it may be Calligrapher and PI. It seemed like everyone had those two apps in common.

JustinGTP
09-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Not sure if this will help

On the unit, if you hold the power button down for 2 seconds, the backlight turns off, but the unit is still running. If you hold the power button for 2 more seconds the backlight turns back on. If you press the button and immediatley release it, the power turn off/on.

I dont know if that helps, it is hard to really understand your problem. I have the 2215, (2210)

-Justin.

rpommier
09-09-2003, 12:52 PM
Thanks for testing. I'm thinking it may be Calligrapher and PI. It seemed like everyone had those two apps in common.

I think you found it Spark... I was sure it had something to do with the backlighting settings on the 2210. But I removed Calligrapher 4.5.2 and don't have the problem anymore. It's been 2 days since and my 2210 has turned on everytime.

I wonder what could cause PI and Calligrapher to behave that way? I was also thinking it could be Battery Back 2003, so I had removed that earlier and still had the problem...

Good Work

Chris Spera
09-09-2003, 03:49 PM
I am assuming you mean Calligrapher 6.5.2 (and not 4.5.2. :) )

Versions before 6.5.2 were not WM2003 compatible.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Sparkomatic
09-09-2003, 04:42 PM
I'm running PI and Calligrapher 6.5.2. One interesting note so far... My power and backlight settings were at 1 min. each. I just changed them to 2 min. each and haven't had any problems so far. I could be reaching here but it's worth a shot!

Rune
09-10-2003, 04:24 PM
I've following your thread for some time now because I've had the same issue. I sent the unit back to HP. They sent it back (of course the data and apps were wiped clean before I sent it in from the problem) I did a restore when I got it back and the problem came back except that when I had to do soft resets the unit didn't "hard reset".
I deleted PI (the 4.5.1 version) still had the problem. I deleted Calligrapher-so far no problem. :lol: :lol:
Being caustiously optimistic.

Have you guys reloaded PI and run successfully?
Thanks

Sparkomatic
09-10-2003, 04:32 PM
I think there is something with Calligrapher. But of interesting note, last night, under Backlight settings, I un-checked "Turn off backlight if device is not used for" and under Power, I have checked "Turn off device if not used for" 1 min.

So far, so good. No soft resets as of yet. I'll keep you all posted!

drosenth
09-12-2003, 03:28 AM
Well, I nuked everything, then loaded my Outlook data and only PI and Calligrapher. It went nearly three days without a single soft reset. Then today it would not come on, and poooof...the battery was run nearly all the way down. I'll try the backlight setting, but if that fails I'll remove Calligrapher and only run PI.

AMelis
09-13-2003, 04:59 AM
Well, I nuked everything, then loaded my Outlook data and only PI and Calligrapher. It went nearly three days without a single soft reset. Then today it would not come on, and poooof...the battery was run nearly all the way down. I'll try the backlight setting, but if that fails I'll remove Calligrapher and only run PI.

Which is exactly what I did, and so far I have had the 2215 with PI on all the time (on the screen), and I have not had one problem. Calligrapher needs to look into this.... :way to go:

rpommier
09-13-2003, 05:23 AM
Same here, uninstalled Calligrapher and am still going strong.

I was sweating thinking I would be waiting on ROM update :?

Roderick

silentmuse
09-15-2003, 01:23 AM
I was having similar problems. Sometimes frozen and couldn't turn on, sometimes frozen and couldn't turn off.

I hard reset and installed only my wireless drivers (Socket) and still had the problem.

I bought a D-Link CF card, and my 2210 hasn't frozen since.....

regards,

Paul

wardseward
09-18-2003, 03:04 PM
Well, I've been having this problem too. it seems to revolve around removing my ipaq from being charged and turning it off (but I'm not sure about the timing cause I didn't pay that close attention). So, I removed Calligrapher two days ago and have not had the problem since.

Does anyone know if the makers of Calligrapher have been contacted about this?

Sparkomatic
09-19-2003, 06:14 AM
Well after yet another day of resets, I finally removed Calligrapher and have had no problems since. The funny thing is... on PI's website they have some sort of partnership with Calligrapher and are offering a discount if you buy it. Too bad they don't play well with each other!

griph
09-19-2003, 05:15 PM
Well after yet another day of resets, I finally removed Calligrapher and have had no problems since. The funny thing is... on PI's website they have some sort of partnership with Calligrapher and are offering a discount if you buy it. Too bad they don't play well with each other!

Having purchased a 2210 three days ago I have been perusing this thread with interest. Sorry to hear people are having difficulties, because the 2210 is IMHO the best iPaq so far!

I haven't so far had the problem with the backlight - I don't use Caligrapher (how is this different from Transcriber BTW) - but I have had a bit of a problem with Alarm wake up. Am trying ATAlarm and hope that that sorts that out - but has anyone else who DOES NOT use Caligrapher had the problems noted in this thread?

wardseward
09-19-2003, 06:38 PM
*CLIP* I don't use Caligrapher (how is this different from Transcriber BTW)*CLIP*

Check out Phatware's (the makers of calligrapher) website (http://www.phatware.com/). They answer that question very well there.

griph
09-19-2003, 07:50 PM
*CLIP* I don't use Caligrapher (how is this different from Transcriber BTW)*CLIP*

Check out Phatware's (the makers of calligrapher) website (http://www.phatware.com/). They answer that question very well there.

Thank you - appreciate that.

TECHIUM
09-19-2003, 09:10 PM
Well, sorry to join so late in the thread, however I too have experienced these seemingly random lockups. The main difference is that I I don't have tomtom or calligrapher installed. I do have PI4.5.1/POOM 4.20.13100 though. I noticed several things that helped reduce the frequency of the lockups. 1. Turning off ClearType (although I'm loathe to use it without), 2. Load PI to main memory (again something I hate to do), 3. Remove my CF before resetting (slows down startup). Reduce the amount of Today plugins. This is by no means a solution, but it works for now.

AMelis
09-19-2003, 10:41 PM
No, I've been running PI for over a week on screen, active, after removing Calligrapher and it hasn't failed yet. Calligrapher is saying that it is something to do with HP's power saving, but I haven't seen anything from HP. And if you check TomTom's site, they apparently have fixed it. :mrgreen:

Sparkomatic
09-19-2003, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the update from phatware. I was going to e-mail them but you beat me to it. Now the only question is, is it really an HP issue or phatware's issue? :?:

busterz
09-20-2003, 12:53 AM
Its nice to see a lot of us are having the same problem :?

However, I gave the 2210 a hard reset, reinstalled some of the programs, including PI AND Caligrapher, but I did install in a different order, and so far everythings been great, no lockups at all, well maybe one :roll: but things are running smooth.

Busterz

drosenth
09-20-2003, 03:30 AM
Well, my results are in: I hard reset last Sunday, reinstalled every app I had before (see my earlier post) but DID NOT install calligrahper. I am happy to say that since last Sunday I have not had a lockup, and I have not even soft reset my device. I honestly think that is a record for me!

I don't know how calligrapher could be the problem, but it appears to have been causing my lock-ups. I am going to go one more week without calligrapher, after which I will resinstall it. I REALLY miss it! Once I reinstall, if I have a lockup I will post back here and then contact Phatware. Again, I don't know HOW it could be the problem, but so far no lock-ups. I guess there is hope!

Regards,
DaveR

AMelis
09-20-2003, 08:15 AM
No, I do not understand it either. Do a search on this and other forums, that seems to be the emerging cause...

drosenth
09-27-2003, 01:27 PM
Well, I think my problem has been nailed. I have now run my 2215 for 14 days straight without calligrapher and without ever performing a soft-reset (which to me is a record in itself). More importantly, Phatware responded to my technical support e-mail and here is a snip from it:

The problem is that it only happens on HP221x, mostly - on HP2215. We know that other developers have similar issues with HP2215 power management, and we have to wait for HP to fix the issue. Hopefully it will be addressed in the next update from HP. But we are very sorry about the problems it causes, whatever the cause.

So, this tells me:

1) Phatware acknowledges the issue (which is excellent)
2) I am stuck with transcriber for a while
3) Now it is time to push on HP

I know there are other applications that have issues with the power management on the 2215. I sure hope HP fixes this in the near future.

Wish us all luck!
DaveR

Sparkomatic
09-27-2003, 03:49 PM
That's great news. Since uninstalling Calligrapher, I've had no problems at all. Which is a bummer cause I really miss Calligrapher. :(

I hope HP gets an update our pretty quick!

Jason Lee
10-22-2003, 05:28 PM
I have this problem too and have none of these programs installed... It seems to happen to me if something changes the backligh or i remove the device from power then turn it off.
mostly it happens when i turn the backlight on or off by holding the power button then turn the device off. it won't come back on.

it is definetly something to do with powermanagement. :(

Sparkomatic
10-22-2003, 05:41 PM
Well it looks like Calligrapher 7 Beta 3 is working like a charm. Beta 2 was having the same problem as version 6 but this one seems good. Wooo Hooo!

mesposito2
10-22-2003, 07:11 PM
I've got Beta 3 and it has fixed the lock-ups for me as well. Now the only problem I have is with Wisbar Advanced. It still locks up on the 2215.

Well it looks like Calligrapher 7 Beta 3 is working like a charm. Beta 2 was having the same problem as version 6 but this one seems good. Wooo Hooo!

Sparkomatic
10-22-2003, 07:15 PM
Curious. I'm using WisBar Advance and not experiencing any lockups at all. Have you found that Calligrapher 7 B3 leaves traces on your screen as your writing? They disappear when I switch screens but it's a little annoying.

mesposito2
10-23-2003, 05:26 AM
No I haven't. Maybe there is some difference in our configuration of Calligrapher.

Curious. I'm using WisBar Advance and not experiencing any lockups at all. Have you found that Calligrapher 7 B3 leaves traces on your screen as your writing? They disappear when I switch screens but it's a little annoying.

Sparkomatic
10-23-2003, 04:50 PM
I'm using smooth ink mode (very nice by the way) which could be causing it.