View Full Version : Battery from CF+ Pack charging from internal battery ?

KuroNeko
09-03-2003, 08:58 AM
I'm interested about some information on the battery from a Compact Flash Expansion Pack Plus for Ipaq 3970.

This battery powers the Pack but also the Ipaq, if I understand correctly, thus enhancing the 3970's battery life.

But I also heard this battery is first to discharge, next the Ipaq starts using its own battery.

I heard a few complaints (not from this Pack or Ipaq gear) that the extra battery once empty would actually start charging using the PPC's internal battery, lowering battery life.

Have such problems plagued Ipaq sleeves of third party sleeves too?

TIA
Neko

Pocket PC Dubai
09-03-2003, 10:57 AM
I am using my iPAQ h5450 with the wireless pack "GSM/GPRS sleeve". Initially I thought the main battery in iPAQ is charging the Wireless Pack! The main battery drained down much faster, I also remember I didn't make many phone calls that day. I was thinking it is similar when using the CF Plus Expansion Pack with 38xx/39xx series iPAQ! CF+'s battery would drain down first, supplying power to both the iPAQ and the CF card, and then once it was gone the main battery would start to drain. Unfortunately, this is not the case with the iPAQ h5xxx series, from what I gathered I came to know that this behavior has changed in the 5xxx units, which only allows the CF+'s battery to power the CF slot. Then this behavior should mirror my iPAQ with Wireless Pack attached to it. (if I'm correct)

Again I observed from the battery indicator that batteries were really acting independently, I need more time to check the consistency thought! I hope HP will think about providing a new version of ROM to address this issue.

Janak Parekh
09-03-2003, 03:43 PM
I heard a few complaints (not from this Pack or Ipaq gear) that the extra battery once empty would actually start charging using the PPC's internal battery, lowering battery life.
FWIW, I've not had this experience. When it's dead, it shuts off, and stays at zero.

--janak

KuroNeko
09-03-2003, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the info! Pitech hasn't updated their site nor is shipping their new battery powered CF sleeve, so I guess the CF+ it will be.

Neko