View Full Version : streaming media from your pc

ale2999
09-03-2003, 08:17 AM
hi all, Is it possible to mount a folder from a pc that is not in the same network as you.
Scenario: I am in school and want to stream video from my own pc which is at home. We have wifi hotspot at the university so I have a net connection but how can I stream files?
thx a bunch

DimensionZero
09-03-2003, 07:25 PM
hi Ale2999,

yes, it's possible as long as the ports aren't blocked for it on both ends..

instead of mapping to your computername, map to the IP address.

ie.
\\132.123.123.123\share

it should ask you for a username and password and that should do it!

I'm not sure what OS you're using... But in XP, your username has to have a password before it allows you to use the shares from the outside.

Just a warning tho... It may be too slow for you to be able to stream the video over the net... Your milage may vary.

ale2999
09-04-2003, 05:57 PM
thx so much man! I was thinking that for video it might be too slow, but audio might be ok as I can upload at 60kb/s
thx alot

ale2999
09-06-2003, 10:39 AM
hi Ale2999,

yes, it's possible as long as the ports aren't blocked for it on both ends..

instead of mapping to your computername, map to the IP address.

ie.
\\132.123.123.123\share

it should ask you for a username and password and that should do it!

I'm not sure what OS you're using... But in XP, your username has to have a password before it allows you to use the shares from the outside.

Just a warning tho... It may be too slow for you to be able to stream the video over the net... Your milage may vary.
hey is there any chance that I can get a detailed instruction of how to stream from a pc at another location? I tried your tip but it seemed not to be working. Did any1 else ever achieve sometin as that?