View Full Version : Need recommendations on BlueTooth dongle

Leo the 3rd
09-03-2003, 04:52 AM
I need a recommendation for a working solution to use BlueTooth with ActiveSync. I tried Belkin's USB BlueTooth adapter, but ActiveSync only saw COM1 as valid and Belkin on allowed me to use COM11 thru COM20. So any recommendations? It can be PCMCIA or USB device. And if anyone has a documented solution to get Windows XP to use a COM port below COM11 I'd appreciate it.

I was able to get Belkin to transfer files between it and my iPAQ 2215 running WM2003. Again the Laptop I'm using is Windows XP with the latest patches. I have 1 USB port on the laptop and 2 ports on the docking station.

bucho
09-03-2003, 05:27 AM
TDK

Anthony Caruana
09-03-2003, 03:05 PM
I've got 2 different one5. My Billionton dongle using Widcomm Software is excellent. The one uses xtnd connect blue systems Software.. It's a PITA.

rpommier
09-03-2003, 04:54 PM
I've had good luck with my Belkin F8T001 so far, inexpensive and good range also. However, I haven't had much luck using it with the new 1.3 Widcomm drivers. I've had to stay with the 1.2 included from Belkin...

Leo the 3rd
09-03-2003, 08:04 PM
I've had good luck with my Belkin F8T001 so far, inexpensive and good range also. However, I haven't had much luck using it with the new 1.3 Widcomm drivers. I've had to stay with the 1.2 included from Belkin...

Are you using XP? What COM port(s) did XP assign to ActiveSync? Are you using 3.7 ActiveSync?

Zensbikeshop
09-03-2003, 10:49 PM
I've just ditched a problematic TDK for the Belkin F8T001.

The Com port is asigned to the serial port in the Bluetooth setup. You need to use that Com port within Active Sync.

I'm using XP Pro and AS 3.7

rpommier
09-03-2003, 11:48 PM
Are you using XP? What COM port(s) did XP assign to ActiveSync? Are you using 3.7 ActiveSync?

I couldn't even find the bluetooth dongle or my ipaq 2210 with the 1.3 widcoms. I was originally experimenting to see if they would increase my File Transfer service times. I'm using XP pro...

Leo the 3rd
09-04-2003, 01:55 AM
Ok, well my problem is that ActiveSync is only defaulting to COM1 in XP. How do I get the thing to move or get the Bluetooth serial COM to move down below COM11?

Amazing how difficult setting up a so-called "simple" set up task.

Any thoughts?

Update Well I was able to get a D-Link 120 USB Bluetooth dongle to work with Win2K, but for some lame reason I can not get XP to stop sticking with COM1. There's gotta be a way to make ActiveSync stop using COM1 and see a different COM and also get the Bluetooth use a lower COM port.

tvalentin
09-05-2003, 03:15 AM
I can recomment the TDK usb adaptor.

The latest drivers make it very easy and quick to use and set up. And the range is very good (almost everywhere in the house).

One of my housemates has the belkin adaptor and has had no problems with that either though.

Hope this helps.

Vincent M Ferrari
09-05-2003, 03:26 AM
I'll tell you... I don't use my BT Dongle to connect to my PPC, but I do use it to keep my T610 sync'ed and upload photos/ringtones. It works like a charm, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a TDK dongle to anyone who needs one.

cyclwestks
09-05-2003, 11:59 PM
I just installed the Belkin last night, but followed instructions in another thread. I used both the 1.3 Widcom & the 1.2 Belkin drivers; kind of a hack they came up with. Worked first time, A/S, network access & range seems really good so far. I have it on a PII thats been upgraded to XP Pro with my 1940, A/S com is set to 5.

freitasm
09-06-2003, 12:44 AM
I recommend the TDK, Bluetake and Belkin. The first two will have the most up to date drivers (DLINK has a newer one, but with some bad bugs in it).

You can have a look in our Bluetooth Guides for instructions on how to setup things, or more ideas of what you can do...