View Full Version : ipaq h3970 to ipaq h54xx

ghl
09-03-2003, 02:50 AM
i have an ipaq 3970 which i got @christmas.
now i see the newer ipaq h54xx's and i want one..
but is it worth getting it, or shall i wait coz ipaqs are expensive.
any ideas

chunkymonkey75
09-03-2003, 04:05 AM
Unless you have a need for built-in Wi-fi and fingerprint recognition I would save your money. There's always something newer around the corner.

nosmohtac
09-03-2003, 05:18 AM
Save your money, The 3970 is an excellent PPC, and like the previous post says, unless you need integrated wifi and biometric security, it isn't worth it.

If you really have an urge to upgrade, I would wait. the 54xx isn't the newest ipaq. They have had the 55xx for a while now, and it has 128MB of RAM, but they took out the Nevo and CIR. It would have been a killer PPC if they had left that alone. I have a 3970 too, and I'm going to wait and see what the x7 from Dell is like. I played with a coworkers X5 advanced, with the pxa255 chip and windows mobile 2003. I was very impressed with the speed compared to my 3970.

I'm thinking of just upgrading mine to PPC2003 and waiting another 6months or so.

PoweriPaq
09-03-2003, 05:43 AM
Unless you have a need for built-in Wi-fi and fingerprint recognition I would save your money. There's always something newer around the corner.

I agree, I love mine, but I wish I waited for another 6 months for the 54xx to come out, but I couldn't wait that long. Only if my birthday were to be 6 months later. I would use the WiFi everyday, every where I go, but I don't need the Biometric. I asked myself the same question, should I upgrade to 54xx, since I like the Nevo so much or else the 55xx would be my next choice. I just upgraded to WM2003, so I'll be keeping it for another year or so.

nosmohtac
09-03-2003, 05:47 AM
I don't use it very often, but I bought a CF WiFi card for mine. I would rather have it built in, but I felt it wasn't worth the price they were originally asking for the 54xx series. The 55xx series is priced better, but the whole Nevo thing is a deal killer on that model.

Paolo Masera
09-03-2003, 08:09 AM
For some reason mine is at 4 hours fully charged (Battery Pack 2003 latest version).
I've tried two different new 3970 from HP (first had problem with SD card recognition...) on both Battery Pack 2003 signed 4h.

Have you some information about yours 3970's battery ?

Pls note that my 3970 is one month old

Thanks

Paolo Masera

Pocket PC Dubai
09-03-2003, 11:09 AM
but I wish I waited for another 6 months for the 54xx to come out, but I couldn't wait that long.

Actually this is - to me - the lifecycle for every pocket pc. Every 6 months I buy a new pocket pc, this is not planned, it just happened. Now I have the h5450 for almost 7 months, and I am looking for a new PPC, perhaps waiting for XDA II. My point if you are going to wait for less than 6 months, then you wait and get your self the cutting edge device.

WyattEarp
09-03-2003, 05:58 PM
For me the 3975 is still one of the best PPCs. I'm very picky when it comes to PPCs and what I get in the 3975 is more than what I see offered in newer models (software included). Most PPCs seem to be adding less or just shuffling around features from one model to another to see who buys instead of adding more for the same price. I agree with nosmohtac that the 55xx would have been the killer device if it had (are you listening HP) Nevo and the CIR. So I'd say wait for a while. The 3975 is a great PPC and by no means low tech just look at the specs of other devices and you'll see. And there's nothing like a 3.8 screen unless you own a Genio with a 4.0 screen.

Pocket PC Dubai
09-04-2003, 08:29 AM
I agree with WyattEarp, its better to wait at this point.