View Full Version : What to buy!

carphead
09-02-2003, 09:41 PM
So I fell for the 2210 form factor.
I brought one. 8O

It broke (touch screen). HP customer service (for IPAQ) stinks. They or the carrier have lost it. :evil: and are stalling on the refund. :twisted:

So I'm looking for a new PDA. In the meantime I'm using my old 3970 which feels like a brick with the CF Card sleeve.

So I'm a bit stuck :cry: What do I buy? I want something of the form of the 2210 but not made by HP. It has to be avaiable in the UK now. I need both Bluetooth and Wifi (either by CF Card or builtin) and if it's a Pocket PC it has to be WM2003.

I'm being tempeted to the darkside. I've really got my eye on a Zire 71 but there is no Wifi card for it. :cry: So I'm now thinking of a Tungsten C (which has built in WiFi) 8)

JustinGTP
09-02-2003, 11:26 PM
I wouldnt advise going for a palm pilot, or Palm OS on a device. (Depends on what you are using it for also). You cannot share documents with the counterpart on your pc (Word, Excel) etc.

I would go for another 2210. I have a 2215, same model, but under business lineup, same specs, same price. Its the N. America version.

I love it. It is the best PDA Ive had, and maybe you had the lemon. I would suggest you should try it again, or go with a better HP model.

Maybe look into the Axims from Dell, but from what I've heard, the spotlight is on the 2210/2215 - They're amazing.

-Justin.

0X

DimensionZero
09-03-2003, 12:14 AM
Maybe you could buy it at a retail outlet?

For example, FutureShop here in Canada's been pretty good about their warranty.. You buy an extra warranty from them and if anything goes wrong you can just bring it in and they'll replace it on the spot.

I've get that with my cell phone so when a new one comes out, and the one I have is discontinued, they replace it stright up so I get a new phone! =) They're getting a little but iffy about it, but it all depends which store you go to. haha.

qmrq
09-03-2003, 12:56 AM
I wouldnt advise going for a palm pilot, or Palm OS on a device. (Depends on what you are using it for also). You cannot share documents with the counterpart on your pc (Word, Excel) etc.

Ehm... yes you can. :)

JustinGTP
09-03-2003, 02:22 AM

Ehm... yes you can. :)

:idontthinkso:

Its still not the same and when you have ppc you can transfer and print. The other way takes longer with plam. You have to convert and then set up. Plus you have to set fonts etc.
:bangin:

-Justin.

qmrq
09-03-2003, 02:29 AM
I've used Quick Office for years without any problems. Documents are 'converted' on the fly, there is no difficulty transferring them to host machine then printing. :)

bazza
09-03-2003, 08:48 AM
Stick to PPC! Highly recommend the HP 5550. Had no problems with HP - had three PPCs (HP). Push hard to have it replaced not repaired!!! See if you can upgrade and pay the difference. Getting a refund may be a hassle.

Have nothing against Palm - used a sony Clie for 6 months. Strated to use PPC side-by side with Clie - went back to PPC - best decision I ever made!!!! With the new processors and RAM, speed is not as much of an issue. Overall for multimedia and connectivity as well as GI pocket pc wins hand down.

Good luck. :D

carphead
09-03-2003, 11:49 AM
Like I said in the first email I WILL NOT be purchasing another HP IPAQ. The repair centre have been such a pain that it's put me off them for life.

I don't care if they have the best machines if the service can't back it up when it needs to I won't buy it. Don't get me wrong this isn't a HP issue. I buy tons of other HP kit and can't fault the service but the IPAQ service has let me down so badly that I don't have any faith in them.

So what do I buy that's not a HP but with a 2210 size/ff?

PetiteFlower
09-03-2003, 01:19 PM
So what do I buy that's not a HP but with a 2210 size/ff?

That's the thing--there IS no other PPC that has the 2210 form factor. There are other PPCs with similar features, but really among the current devices offered the 2210 seems to make the best use of WM2003, best speed, good amount of memory, dual slots, etc.

You might be happy with an Axim, it will certainly cost you less, it has the same general specs, but isn't going to be as fast. If that doesn't bother you, then Dell is the way to go.

Personally I'm REALLY excited about the rumored Axim X3 specs, that just might be my next PPC, but isn't expected to come out until somewhere between October and December, and I'm guessing you're not going to want to wait that long :)

Janak Parekh
09-03-2003, 03:46 PM
I've used Quick Office for years without any problems. Documents are 'converted' on the fly, there is no difficulty transferring them to host machine then printing. :)
How about reading and editing a Word attachment on your Palm, received via a wireless email solution? That's the limitation I've always bumped up against, one that converting doesn't help with.

carphead: it sounds like the UK service guys are a much bigger pain than the US ones, then. Have you considered writing a letter to the executives at HP? By all means, if at all possible, get the 2210 back and hold onto it. Your only other alternative, as far as I can tell, would be to wait at this time. :( There are a few coming out, but nothing quite as small as it.

--janak

carphead
09-03-2003, 04:43 PM
Janek,

Both times I've had to use them they've been seriously lacking in Customer service. This time they seem to of lost the machine completely. I've given them till the end of the week to get me a new machine or they'll get some serious legal abuse.

At the moment it looks like I might get my money back so I'm planning on buying a Axim to keep me going tell something better comes out.

qmrq
09-03-2003, 08:14 PM
How about reading and editing a Word attachment on your Palm, received via a wireless email solution? That's the limitation I've always bumped up against, one that converting doesn't help with.

Does ehm.. IR count as a 'wireless email solution'? :D If not, then no. As for editing and such, I've never had problems editing files on the device then having the changes updated on the same file on host machine. Understand though that I only tried doing this a few times for the heck of it. (I don't really do MS Word).

JustinGTP
09-05-2003, 12:05 AM
Yo, qmrq, drop it! If you are so happy and suportive of palm, why are you on a forum board for MICROSOFT POCKET PC??!!??

Go to a palm OS board if you cant stop chirping about how awesome they are! All of us are running ms os, so what does that tell you? most of us hate palm!

-Justin.

easylife
09-05-2003, 12:25 AM
Yo, qmrq, drop it! If you are so happy and suportive of palm, why are you on a forum board for MICROSOFT POCKET PC??!!??

Go to a palm OS board if you cant stop chirping about how awesome they are! All of us are running ms os, so what does that tell you? most of us hate palm!
Whoa, dude, calm down! 8) If you approach PPCs without a heathy respect for the Palm OS (and it's shortcomings) then you can't really see the value of a Pocket PC. Also, qmrq was providing a legitimate alternative - Palm has always had a great customer service record. HP and Toshiba, the two main compeditors, don't. :?

Oh, and you're heard a lot more when you speak about the wonders of something on their competition's webboard. :way to go:

qmrq
09-05-2003, 12:45 AM
??!!??
Such blatant abuse of punctuation is not cool. :|

Seriously though, I was simply pointing out that it can be done, and quite easily. (document editing and such)

All of us are running ms os
Not all. (http://familiar.handhelds.org/)

Also... 'hate'? I really don't think so. I'd say most of us have fond feelings towards Palm. What do you think our first PDAs were? ;)

easylife
09-05-2003, 12:48 AM
It's fairly obvious that Honda_Civic_Si is only 16 (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=158611#158611), so frequent flaming is almost a given at that age... :roll: (If that makes any sense...)

PetiteFlower
09-05-2003, 01:15 AM
My Axim is my first PDA...how could I possibly hate Palms when I've never even used one!

maximus
09-05-2003, 01:23 AM
Like I said in the first email I WILL NOT be purchasing another HP IPAQ. The repair centre have been such a pain that it's put me off them for life.

Personally, I am looking forward to the day when X3, X7 and mitac mio 728 is out. I have an X5 right now, and I am happy with it. In your case, if you can live a few month without a PPC, maybe it is a good idea to wait.

easylife
09-05-2003, 01:30 AM
In your case, if you can live a few month without a PPC, maybe it is a good idea to wait.
I don't think that's a good idea. If you tell someone to wait a month before their new Pocket PC, they will most likely discover that they really don't need a Pocket PC then as badly as they thought they did. The best thing is to get a new one even if your old one still runs! :D To wait is to risk the realization that these are mostly W?BIC! devices and, while they do improve organization, are not essential for day-to-day operations. :|

JustinGTP
09-05-2003, 01:31 AM
Well how about it when you are the new comer which everyone is ganging up against! :lurking:

Give me some slack and I will calm it down. I was feeling like the lonewolf. Sorry about that you guys :microwave:

:mecry:
-J

Steven Cedrone
09-05-2003, 04:05 AM
In your case, if you can live a few month without a PPC, maybe it is a good idea to wait.
I don't think that's a good idea.

I agree as well, but for different reasons... :wink:

If you wait for, say, three months...

Then you ask what to buy, people will say "wait a few more months and you can get XXX that device will be released soon...

You wind up waiting forever, and never buying anything... :wink:

Steve

maximus
09-05-2003, 04:34 AM
Then you ask what to buy, people will say "wait a few more months and you can get XXX that device will be released soon...

He heh. True. The person who started this thread wants something with 2210's size, so I informed him that an upcoming product will match his requirement.

You wind up waiting forever, and never buying anything... :wink:
Steve

Well, I purchased my axim on February 2003, when all the ruckuss about PPC2003 is on. There was rumors on the upcoming this product and that product. Yet I bought the X5 anyway.

maximus
09-05-2003, 04:43 AM
Well how about it when you are the new comer which everyone is ganging up against! :lurking:

Give me some slack and I will calm it down. I was feeling like the lonewolf. Sorry about that you guys :microwave:

:mecry:
-J

Lighten up a bit. I think no one is ganging up against you. It is just that your opinions are quite radical, hence people feel the need to respond. Negative response should not be considered as ganging up, you know ? :wink: Perhaps it is an indication that you should calm down a bit, and then, we will cut you some slack :D

Welcome to the board, anyway. It is nice to see that the age span of the viewer of this board :D

carphead
09-05-2003, 11:21 AM
Well it looks like I'm stuck with HP. After loosing the plot completely with them this morning they've managed to find my IPAQ!!!! :frusty:

It should be back next week :)

townsendtribe
09-05-2003, 10:35 PM
You think they saw this thred?

nice_micael
09-06-2003, 01:33 PM
Well it looks like I'm stuck with HP. After loosing the plot completely with them this morning they've managed to find my IPAQ!!!! :frusty:

It should be back next week :)

That's great to hear!!! Hope it works out for you!

carphead
09-06-2003, 09:04 PM
It was quite amazing really! The time line was something like this...

1 - Get Proof of Delivery in the morning post (Yes it took 5 days)
2 - Fax the POD at 9:05am
3 - Phone to say it's been sent at 10:00am. Amazingly it been found at HP 8O
4 - UPS have picked it up and it's on it's way back at 11:15! 8O

Stunning service really! Considering it took them 9 days to do a turn round on the unit. For some reason I have a feeling they just plain lost it and replaced the unit.

But like I said I'll never buy another IPAQ. I love HP Printers and Compaq/HP Servers both of which are the only products of there type that I'll purchase but never ever another IPAQ. I normally replace every other year but next time I'll look else where. Hopefully somebody (DELL!) will of caught up with their design skills in two years.