View Full Version : How do YOU make a Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich?

David Prahl
09-01-2003, 04:55 PM
How do you make a Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich?

I ALWAYS put the peanut butter on the left piece of bread first, spread the jam or jelly on the right piece, and then place the PB slice on the J slice.

Don't ask how I thought of this, or if I thought it would be a good use of bandwidth! :roll:

This is what the Off-Topic forum is for! :lol:

GoldKey
09-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong! :wink:

First, lightly toast the bread (that way the PB slightly melts into the bread), put PB on one side, add jelly on top (raspberry preserved), top with bread, and press slightly. Tall glass of milk required.

disconnected
09-01-2003, 05:29 PM
Goldkey is correct. :D (Except for the milk).

David Prahl
09-01-2003, 05:58 PM
What kind of bread? We've got a breadmaker, and there is no comparison to that soft spongy stuff in stores.

And of course you have to use home-made strawberry jam. Raspberry preserves are good, too, Goldkey! We picked 40 lbs of strawberries, and made dozens of jars of freezer jam.

Mmmmm.... :drool:

I'm getting hungry! Maybe I'll make a sandwich and post the image!

GoldKey
09-01-2003, 06:22 PM
Bakery bread. Needs to be thicker than regular bread so it can hold more PBJ.

g0097
09-01-2003, 06:26 PM
Does anyone put the jelly on first? I was just thinking about this and I realized that I never put the jelly on first. Dont know why though.......

GoldKey
09-01-2003, 06:27 PM
Goldkey is correct. :D (Except for the milk).

What else would you drink with PBJ? I will go for chocolate milk sometimes, but that is more for a peanut butter and banana sandwich.

Speaking of PB and Banana, I use a hot dog bun and make it that way with the whole banana and drizzle it with honey.

GoldKey
09-01-2003, 06:29 PM
Does anyone put the jelly on first? I was just thinking about this and I realized that I never put the jelly on first. Dont know why though.......

The PB stays put while you add the jelly on top. Does not work the other way.

David Prahl
09-01-2003, 06:42 PM
I really SHOULD be working on my review... :oops:

Only on Pocket PC Thoughts!

http://home.new.rr.com/prahl/uncut%20loaf2.jpg
Homemade (in a machine) bread is a good start.

http://home.new.rr.com/prahl/cut%20loaf2.jpg
Hand cut by yours truely. Soft and thick!

http://home.new.rr.com/prahl/ready2.jpg
Chunky PB. Homemade strawberry jam. Let's go!

http://home.new.rr.com/prahl/almost3.jpg
The left slice with PB first, then the jam on the right.

dh
09-01-2003, 07:06 PM
All I can say, young Dave is that it's a good job the summer is over. You obviously need something to do. :D

Just kidding, it's a fun thread really!

I never make PBJ sandwiches, guess we didn't have them when I was a kid. Must have been the Blitz and all that. (OK, I'm not quite that old).

I like a sandwich made with a slice of cheddar with raspberry jam. The best store jam in the world is Tiptree Jam by the way. You see Tiptree products in grocery stores in the US from time to time so if you see it make sure you buy some.

I also like roast pork sandwiches with lots of Branston Pickle. Perfect with a nice cold beer.

What are you reviewing, or is it a secret?

David Prahl
09-01-2003, 07:11 PM

A certain leather case for the Dell Axim. I should finish today.

I WISH I knew more secrets! :D

dean_shan
09-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Here is the way you do it. Put peanut butter on both pieces of bread. Then you put honey or bananas on one of the pieces of bread (doesn't matter what side). Close up the sandwitch, and enjoy. Milk is almost a requirement.

Jeff Rutledge
09-01-2003, 08:12 PM
Peanut Butter on both sides. Jam at least 3/4" thick (enough that you have to lean over the plate while eating). Don't cut it in half. Instead eat around the perimeter first so that only soft bread remains. Milk is a must.

surur
09-01-2003, 08:29 PM
I find PB &J disgusting :pukeface:

The combination of the sticky texture of the peanut butter with the sweet slipperiness of the jam (jelly to americans) is just awfully. And the taste contrast. The oiliness of the peanut butter and the sweetly sickness together is enough to induce nausea! Separately they are fine, but together *shudder*

And worst of all, think of the calories!!. Peanut butter is about 700kcal/100 grams. To add jam to that (200-300 kcal/100g) and you likely to end up with a slice of bread with more calories than a McDonald's burger. Its the perfect combination of fat and carbohydrates to end up on your hips!

So, in answer to the question: How do I make a peanut butter and jam sandwich? Answer:

NOT

Surur

Of course, is PB and J is your favourite sandwich, feel free to just disregard the above :)

David Prahl
09-01-2003, 08:35 PM
jam (jelly to americans)

I think that "jam" includes the fruit, seeds, etc., and the "jelly" is just the...umm...jelly. Do you have "jelly" where you are?

And worst of all, think of the calories!!. Peanut butter is about 700kcal/100 grams. To add jam to that (200-300 kcal/100g) and you likely to end up with a slice of bread with more calories than a McDonald's burger. Its the perfect combination of fat and carbohydrates to end up on your hips!

Mmmm! :popcorn:

:lol:

maximus
09-02-2003, 01:53 AM
All I can say, young Dave is that it's a good job the summer is over. You obviously need something to do. :D

:rotfl:

I also like roast pork sandwiches with lots of Branston Pickle. Perfect with a nice cold beer.

My favourite also. Roast pork, pickle, lots of lettuce. Yum.
It is 7 AM when I post this message, and I have not had my breakfast yet. So hungry now. Thanks dh :p

I think he is investigating (reviewing) the spec. of the upcoming X3 and X7. He is currently undercover at dell's roundrock headquarter :D

David Prahl
09-02-2003, 02:13 AM
I think he is investigating (reviewing) the spec. of the upcoming X3 and X7. He is currently undercover at dell's roundrock headquarter :D

http://nonpc.org/consult/secret.jpg

Hmm...this one knows too much! Note to self: Drive different route to secret bunker tomorrow!

I hope he doesn't know about the next line of Axims: No battery needed, ultra-thin screen, perfect stability, and in 4 colors!
http://www.spaceninja.com/viridian/notebook.jpg

Pat Logsdon
09-02-2003, 03:53 AM
Here is the way you do it. Put peanut butter on both pieces of bread. Then you put honey or bananas on one of the pieces of bread (doesn't matter what side). Close up the sandwitch, and enjoy. Milk is almost a requirement.
I'm with you Dean, with a few important differences. :mrgreen:

First, the PB must be on one side only. Then, the bananas are placed in a grid pattern on the side with the PB. Next, fill the spaces between the bananas with honey, and put the other piece of bread on top.

Now stand the sandwich up on its end so it's perpendicular to the plate and start eating from the top. As you're eating, the extra honey will move the bottom and soak into the bottom crust. When you're down to the bottom, the honey will have crystallized in the bread a little bit, and it's quite tasty.

OK, I have to see if we have any peanut butter in the house. Excuse me...

Jeff Rutledge
09-02-2003, 05:27 AM
I'm with you Dean, with a few important differences. :mrgreen:

First, the PB must be on one side only. Then, the bananas are placed in a grid pattern on the side with the PB. Next, fill the spaces between the bananas with honey, and put the other piece of bread on top.

Now stand the sandwich up on its end so it's perpendicular to the plate and start eating from the top. As you're eating, the extra honey will move the bottom and soak into the bottom crust. When you're down to the bottom, the honey will have crystallized in the bread a little bit, and it's quite tasty.

OK, I have to see if we have any peanut butter in the house. Excuse me...

That's not a sandwich -- that's a work of art!

And it's one that I'm planning to try for lunch tomorrow. 8)

aroma
09-02-2003, 01:28 PM
NO NO NO! You ALL have it wrong. Here is the ONLY way to eat PB&J:

Mix PB and Jelly in equal amounts in a bowl. Stir until well blended. Spread resulting mixture onto bread. This is also WONDERFULL with crakers (especially saltines). Note: This has only been done with grape jelly (not jam). Not sure of results with other flavors.

If you have not tried this before, don't knock it until you do! Once I tried it like this, I've never gone back!

- Aaron

dh
09-02-2003, 02:17 PM
Of course in the morning it's hard to beat the bacon sandwiich.
This is best made with British bacon but those strips of fat we have in the US can be used in an emergency.
It's important to remember to dunk the top layer of bread into the fat left in the pan before final assembly.

Steven Cedrone
09-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Of course in the morning it's hard to beat the bacon sandwiich.
This is best made with British bacon but those strips of fat we have in the US can be used in an emergency.
It's important to remember to dunk the top layer of bread into the fat left in the pan before final assembly.

Hey now...

Get back on topic!!! :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink:

Just kidding...

Steve

aroma
09-02-2003, 04:58 PM

I think my arteries clogged up a bit just from reading this! ;)

Pat Logsdon
09-02-2003, 05:15 PM
My mom does something odd with PB sandwiches - she puts a layer of butter or margarine under the PB, then adds jam or bananas and honey. It's actually pretty good, but BOTH the PB and the butter have to be cold, or it doesn't taste very good.

And of course, this has all of the health benefits of the previously mentioned bacon sandwich, so consume at your peril. :mrgreen:

delfuhd
09-02-2003, 07:51 PM
PB on both sides, Jelly in the middle. that way the jam doesn't soak up on the bread.

Any soft bread

maximus
09-03-2003, 02:24 AM

I think my arteries clogged up a bit just from reading this! ;)

Yeah, I shivered when I read that sentence ... After frying bacon (or other meat stuffs) I always put it on tissue paper, press it firmly, to make sure that it does not carry any excessive oil/fat ....

maximus
09-03-2003, 02:27 AM

Did you measure the distance between the two breads ? I mean, It has to be perfectly spaced, right ? :mrgreen:

Pat Logsdon
09-03-2003, 03:39 AM
Did you measure the distance between the two breads ? I mean, It has to be perfectly spaced, right ? :mrgreen:
Measuring the distance between the two pieces of bread isn't necessary. As long as the banana slices are all of a similar size, the top piece of bread will rest on the banana platform with very little gap, thus assuring pleasingly parallel slices. :mrgreen:

Brad Adrian
09-03-2003, 03:49 AM
Mix PB and Jelly in equal amounts in a bowl...
Zowie! I thought I was the only person in the whole wide world who does it this way! My mom taught us to do it that way because it's much neater, as the jelly doesn't squoosh out the edges.

maximus
09-03-2003, 05:13 AM
Mix PB and Jelly in equal amounts in a bowl...
Zowie! I thought I was the only person in the whole wide world who does it this way! My mom taught us to do it that way because it's much neater, as the jelly doesn't squoosh out the edges.

But that is so inefficient. All those PB and jelly left at the mixing bowl ? Why not buy a mixed PB and jelly instead ?

aroma
09-03-2003, 01:02 PM
But that is so inefficient. All those PB and jelly left at the mixing bowl ? Why not buy a mixed PB and jelly instead ?

Uh... duh... You LICK the bowl clean! :)

maximus
09-04-2003, 02:30 AM
Uh... duh... You LICK the bowl clean! :)

I am imagining Surgical Snack and yourself have a breakfast together, while he is using a micrometer to determine the exact thickness of the banana (with a neat tissue on his neck), you proceed with licking the bowl. BWAHAHAHA. No emoticon can perfectly describe my emotion right now.

Janak Parekh
09-04-2003, 04:03 AM
Maximus, how about :grinning devil: ? ;)

--janak

maximus
09-04-2003, 07:33 AM
Maximus, how about :grinning devil: ? ;)

--janak

Close enough. If that 'grinning devil' icon is rolling on the floor laughing ... that will be perfect. he heh.

carphead
09-04-2003, 08:26 AM
I think we need to have vote on best off topic thread. This has got to be the best one so far. :lol:

Not liking PB doesn't really help me in this thread but my vast experiance of sandwich making (yeah baby) has taught me a thing or two about the art of mixing different fillings.

Veggie's beware!!!!!!

1 - Take a french stick (from local bakery) - MUST BE WARM
2 - Cook Bacon, Chicken and Onions (ideally red) in a frying pan using no oil (just use the fat from bacon)
3 - Into FS place small amount of butter and let it melt (as the stick is warm)
4 - Slice chicken (don't chop) and place in FS (around the edge's)
5 - Remove the fatty bits from bacon and place on top of chicken.
6 - Put Onions on top of Bacon
7 - Drown in tomato sauce (MUST BE HENIZ)

That's my lunch! :D

aroma
09-04-2003, 12:39 PM
Someone told me that you can now get peanut butter by the slice. Similar to the way you can by slices of cheese individually wrapped in plastic. You simply open the plastic and place the "slice" of PB on the bread. WTF is up with that? That just isn't right! :|

- Aaron

carphead
09-04-2003, 01:22 PM
http://www.pbslices.com/

The Funner Peanut Butter

Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth :roll:

[/u]

Pat Logsdon
09-05-2003, 06:58 AM
I am imagining Surgical Snack and yourself have a breakfast together, while he is using a micrometer to determine the exact thickness of the banana (with a neat tissue on his neck)
Ok, I have to ask - what do you mean by a "neat tissue" on my neck? You're not talking about a frilly scarf-type thing, are you? :mrgreen:

maximus
09-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Ok, I have to ask - what do you mean by a "neat tissue" on my neck? You're not talking about a frilly scarf-type thing, are you? :mrgreen:

:rotfl:

Just trying to compare the two extremes. he heh.

maximus
09-09-2003, 07:35 AM

A certain leather case for the Dell Axim. I should finish today.

As your lecturer, I am going to give you a D- for punctuality.
I expect to see the review report before the end of today. :mrgreen:

David Prahl
09-09-2003, 01:23 PM
As your lecturer, I am going to give you a D- for punctuality.
I expect to see the review report before the end of today. :mrgreen:

I did finish it that day! Except my dog ate it, my house flooded, and a wildfire burned through town.... :lol:

It's finished and ready to be published. Should come out this week. :way to go:

Kati Compton
09-09-2003, 03:20 PM
I use store-bought bread. Brownberry Oatnut, preferably. Use Jif creamy on one side, and Smuckers strawberry jelly on the other side (I don't like seeds stuck in my teeth). Put the jelly side on the pb side. Cut diagonally. Serve with milk.

For my husband, it's chunky Jif pb with "spreadable fruit", no cutting. He's so fancy. ;)

ctmagnus
09-09-2003, 10:29 PM
Get a tortilla, spread it with PB (preferrably chunky) then Smuckers strawberry jam, fold in half, enjoy!

maximus
09-10-2003, 05:33 AM
Get a tortilla, spread it with PB (preferrably chunky) then Smuckers strawberry jam, fold in half, enjoy!

PB and jelly in tortilla? 8O My favourite use of tortilla is rolled with ice cream inside. yum yum.

Jeff Rutledge
09-10-2003, 08:38 PM
From my childhood:

Two pieces of bread (white). Peanut Butter on one half, honey on the other. Cover the Honey half with Sour Cream & Onion potato chips. Place the PB half on top and push down to flatten the chips. Enjoy!

(I can't believe I used to eat that!!!)

Pat Logsdon
09-10-2003, 08:42 PM
From my childhood:

Two pieces of bread (white). Peanut Butter on one half, honey on the other. Cover the Honey half with Sour Cream & Onion potato chips. Place the PB half on top and push down to flatten the chips. Enjoy!

Me neither! Peanut butter and sour cream are two flavors that were not meant to be mixed.

:pukeface2:

:mrgreen:

Jeff Rutledge
09-10-2003, 09:04 PM
From my childhood:

Me neither! Peanut butter and sour cream are two flavors that were not meant to be mixed.

:pukeface2:

:mrgreen:

I'd probably have the same reaction if I tried it now. But I swear, I really liked them when I was young. :crazyeyes:

ctmagnus
09-10-2003, 11:15 PM
Bleh... I've NEVER neen able to eat Sour Cream & Onion chips in any way, shape or form.

ctmagnus
09-10-2003, 11:16 PM
Slightly OT:

Cheez Whiz and jam.

But, like JR and his chip sandwiches, I could stomach it then but I can't stomach it now.

Pat Logsdon
09-11-2003, 12:10 AM
Continuing slightly OT:

I used to make "cake sandwiches" when I was a teenager. Mix up some simple frosting (powdered sugar, milk and a few drops of vanilla), spread it on some bread, add more bread and frosting layers until the frosting runs out. Yum!

I also used to make "open faced apple pie" sandwiches. Take one piece of bread (wheat is fine), pile canned apple pie filling on top. Add a few chocolate chips, lightly dust with cinnamon and nutmeg and toss it in the microwave until the chocolate chips start to melt just a bit.

That's what I always ate when watching Twin Peaks, for some reason. 8)

And NO, I do not have a weight problem now, nor did I then - just the normal healthy appetite of a growing teenage boy. :mrgreen:

maximus
09-11-2003, 05:00 AM
And NO, I do not have a weight problem now, nor did I then - just the normal healthy appetite of a growing teenage boy. :mrgreen:

You are too healthy back then. he heh.

My favourite is squished cherry and PB ! The cherry must be fresh though. The canned cherry does not any juice left.