View Full Version : Problems Synching with Two Desktop Computers

George H.
09-01-2003, 04:00 PM
Does anyone else have problems trying to synch two desktop computers with a single PPC? I've experienced this difficulty both with my current iPAQ 1910 and my former Toshiba e740.

I want to keep both my home computer (Windows XP and Outlook XP) and office computer (Windows 98 and Outlook XP) synched with my PPC, but from time to time (once a week or so, it seems), when I synch with one or the other desktop, it seems that the tasks, calendar, and contacts on the PPC aren't recognized by the desktop, and I have to replace them or combine them with the records on the desktop. This results in a major mess, often with duplicated records.

I hope someone has a solution for this!

--George Hayhoe

Janak Parekh
09-01-2003, 06:35 PM
The easiest solution is as follows:

1. Delete all partnerships.
2. Create a partnership and sync with one PC.
3. On the other PC, make sure you have no data on it; i.e., the Pocket PC will populate the desktop. I do this by removing the .PST file, although you could just go into each data category and throw everything into Deleted Items as well.
4. Create a partnership and sync with the second PC.
5. Now, sync with both PCs normally.

ActiveSync has a problem in that it has no option to "overwrite desktop", which you'd ideally like to do with the 2nd PC so that you have one set of consistent records as populated by the 1st. It also has a problem in that if you have two sets of "similar" records, but they are across different partnerships, it gets confused. That's why #3 is important. Yes, this is a major annoyance. :evil:

--janak

Cortex
09-02-2003, 03:37 AM
janak -- why do #1? why cant you leave the original partnership?