View Full Version : Best alarm clock?

nickl
09-01-2003, 03:51 PM
I travel a lot and often have to rely on the very, very wimpy alarm clock that's built into PPC. For the price, what's your favorite alarm clock for PPC?

Thanks in advance.

oe1kenobi
09-02-2003, 04:07 AM
XClock 1.1 (http://www.ppc4you.com/show.cgi?softid=119) by Xirciut (now abandoned)
StopTime 2.0 (http://www.dl-c.com/ppc.html) by Jonathan Sachs (now re-supported and back by popular demand) This one also does stop-watch, timer, etc.

-Richard L. Owens

Mark_Venture
09-02-2003, 04:16 AM
I've been using Stop Time. It has not let me down yet. Works great. One really nice feature is the volume for the alarm appears to be independent of the normal iPAQ's volume setting.

Steven Cedrone
09-02-2003, 12:23 PM
I've always used pTravelAlarm... (http://www.burroak.on.ca/pta.html)

Steve

disconnected
09-02-2003, 04:31 PM
I'd like to find an alarm with a choice of attractive analog clock faces, and ascending volume...although now that I have an iPAQ 5555 I'm not sure if it's capable of enough volume to wake me up. I'd also like to be able to set the time independently of the system time. I've never quite figured out the best way to deal with different time zones so I don't use the visiting time zone feature; I set up all my flights, hotel, and rental car reservations as all day appointments with the actual times in the notes section of the appointment.

maximus
09-03-2003, 02:34 AM
I travel a lot and often have to rely on the very, very wimpy alarm clock that's built into PPC. For the price, what's your favorite alarm clock for PPC?

Thanks in advance.

Just curious, is there a way to substitute \windows\alarm1.wav with a homemade 'louder' wav ?

oe1kenobi
09-03-2003, 03:45 AM
Just curious, is there a way to substitute \windows\alarm1.wav with a homemade 'louder' wav ?
Yes, there is:

1. Get/make your new .wav file and copy it to \Windows on your Pocket PC. There is a sounds.zip file available from the author of Stop Time (link above) which are meant to be used for alarms.
2. Open the Sounds and Notifications control panel applet (Start->Settings, Sounds and Notifications, Notifications tab).
3. Select the Reminders event.
4. Select your new sound.

(or, you could just name your new sound 'Alarm1.wav' and copy it over the one that's already in \Windows. The original is stored in ROM, so it will come back if you delete the new one.)

If you want the new sound to be used for something besides Reminders, set it in whatever program you want to use it (for example, Stop Time uses its own internal setting for which .wav to use).

-Richard L. Owens

maximus
09-03-2003, 05:26 AM
(or, you could just name your new sound 'Alarm1.wav' and copy it over the one that's already in \Windows. The original is stored in ROM, so it will come back if you delete the new one.)

On my axim with PPC2002, alarm1.wav cannot be deleted nor renamed (both from PPC file explorer and activesync). I already tried to replace the alarm1.wav with a wav that I created on my desktop, no success. Another weirdness of activesync ?

oe1kenobi
09-03-2003, 03:43 PM
On my axim with PPC2002, alarm1.wav cannot be deleted nor renamed (both from PPC file explorer and activesync). I already tried to replace the alarm1.wav with a wav that I created on my desktop, no success. Another weirdness of activesync ?
Nope, I did it last night over ActiveSync. You can't rename or delete the file in ROM, but you can replace it with a new file with the same name.

Just name your new file the same, then copy it into the folder. It will ask if you want to replace the file and just say yes. Like I said, if you want the old file back, just delete the new one.

I'm pretty sure this will work on your axim.

-Richard L. Owens

maximus
09-04-2003, 02:13 AM
Just name your new file the same, then copy it into the folder. It will ask if you want to replace the file and just say yes. Like I said, if you want the old file back, just delete the new one.

Allright, seems like my activesync is acting funny again. I remember trying to replace that file several times, until I finally gave up on it :evil:

dh
09-04-2003, 03:40 AM
I've been wanting a good alarm clock for a while so I downloaded Stop Time today.

Seems to a nice little app so I set an alarm to test it out.

The alarm was just fine, but my Axim froze right away. after a quick reset I removed the app.

I've had this freezing issue with most of the alarm apps I've tried. I wonder if one of my other programs is causing the problem.

The only alarm app I've had success with is SuperAlert. Not 100% but pretty close.

beckp
09-04-2003, 01:09 PM
I use SuperAlert and really like that program.