View Full Version : Uses for a CompactFlash slot?

QYV
09-01-2003, 07:02 AM
I've had my Axim for about six months now, and I've yet to use the CompactFlash slot for anything except a free 56K modem I got at CompUSA at an after-Thanksgiving sale, and I only used the modem once on a trip. I've got a nice 256MB SD card which more than satisfies my memory requirements, so I definitely don't need a CF memory card or Microdrive. I'm actually thinking about selling my Axim and getting an iPAQ 1935, unless I can think of a good use for the CF slot. Other than GPS, WiFi or Bluetooth cards, what else does one use it for?

maximus
09-01-2003, 07:29 AM
GPRS card,
Camera,
Connecting PCMCIA Harddrive,
1 GB CF cards for those music and vidoes ...

surur
09-01-2003, 08:31 AM
You would be giving up 2 expansion ports for 1

To add to maximus

Cheaper memory.

The latest periferals (they always come out on CF before SD).

Some GPS units (and isnt there something funny about the docking port on the 1935 which does not allow serial connections?)

having said that, if your new handheld has bluetooth that should help alot, but after a a quick google I see it doesnt.

Surur

Kevin C. Tofel
09-01-2003, 01:12 PM
If you have any interest in using your Axim as an IR remote control for home audio \ video, the IR isn't strong enough. There is a CF IR "range extender" for this purpose......

I also use a CF modem card when on the road.....

KCT

Steven Cedrone
09-01-2003, 03:00 PM
You could use it to store a pack of matches (never know when you need 'em)...***

Or to store stamps, a couple of sticks of gum, anything you can imagine...***

Steve

***Doing this could be hazardous to you Axim and would "probably" void your warrantee... :wink:

maximus
09-02-2003, 02:07 AM
You could use it to store a pack of matches (never know when you need 'em)...***

Or to store stamps, a couple of sticks of gum, anything you can imagine...***

Steve

***Doing this could be hazardous to you Axim and would "probably" void your warrantee... :wink:

:rotfl: Someone drinks too much wine before posting. Ha ha ha.